mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Sovereign or Samurai or Ridge

Hello,

Looking to build a HT. Looking at the two steel frames, and the aluminum Ridge because of such good reviews.

So I am 210 lbs, nothing too big but like to do small jumps/drops as they come up in the trails. Occasional DH runs in Ontario (not much to play on!!). I used to race DH (someone has to finish last HAHA) so am compotent enough to be ok on a HT DH'ing I think.

I will be running a Pike. So what do you think. I can get pretty well all three, the Evil Sovereign, the Chromag Samurai or the Sinister Ridge for roughly the same prices....

Two steel, one aluminum. Ideas?? I want a AM do it all (for a non pro non crazy rider) bike that will be just an awesome time no matter where I am going!

Thanks

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    The Chameleon is admittedly not the same as the Ridge, but after 2 years on a Chameleon, I vowed never to ride another aluminum hardtail again. The stiffness is great for acceleration and jumping, but it beats you to death on trail rides. It eventually took its toll on my knees and back.

I'm in the process of collecting the parts for a similar build as you. Chromag, Evil and Cotic are a few I've had my eye on. Seems you can't go wrong with any of them, as long as you've got the scratch to pay for them.

conjoinicorned
    cromag! why? cause they're canadian

any of the bikes you listed will be awesome, and there are many more great AM HT's out there, but i agree with bagtagley about steel vs. aluminum...go steel!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

How old are you and do you have any joint/back problems?
    I have the updated Ridge and was looking into the Evil frame as well. I decided my body could take the beating of the Ridge's (i'm only 25.. no joint/back problems) aluminum frame and I liked the weight (slightly under 5 pounds). It is a great frame with HUGE tire clearance.
    At time the time i think Evil was moving to a new location, so I didn't get an email response back from them so I just went with Ridge since FTW personally emailed me back quickly.

I just converted it to SS last weekend:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    How old are you and do you have any joint/back problems?
    I have the updated Ridge and was looking into the Evil frame as well. I decided my body could take the beating of the Ridge's (i'm only 25.. no joint/back problems) aluminum frame and I liked the weight (slightly under 5 pounds). It is a great frame with HUGE tire clearance.
    At time the time i think Evil was moving to a new location, so I didn't get an email response back from them so I just went with Ridge since FTW personally emailed me back quickly.
    I was 27 when I sold it and have no joint/back problems to speak of. If the stiffness doesn't bother you, that's great, the Ridge is a great frame.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    I was 27 when I sold it and have no joint/back problems to speak of. If the stiffness doesn't bother you, that's great, the Ridge is a great frame.
    I've never ridden the Chameleon, but many Ridge riders find the Ridge to be pretty supple for a HT.. almost like there's like an inch of suspension back there. But that could be the tires, or the koolaid talking.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by unfluid one
    I've never ridden the Chameleon, but many Ridge riders find the Ridge to be pretty supple for a HT.. almost like there's like an inch of suspension back there. But that could be the tires, or the koolaid talking.
    I do wonder if the square chainstays had something to do with it.

It'd be nice if that was the case, cause I'd scoop up a Ridge in a heartbeat if I thought it would be a bit smoother. I hear that Sinister kool-aid is mighty tasty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Ridge or Sovereign

Thanks - I am down to a Ridge or a Sovereign.

Sovereign may be more supple and steel and have different adjustment features.... but only a 16" seattube? For trail ride and hour long twisty attacks - isn't that a bit short?? I am only 5'10" or so - but that seems short having always ridden 18" frames (roughly).

Sovereign seems great - and from what everyone has said - pretty supple and a great ride. Ridge is so strong and tough - but Sovereign isn't afraid of anything either I don't think.

Could the Sovereign handle most anything save the major chair lift/movie jumps? Not that is what I want it for - but if can handle just about anything (which I will never do) then I feel confident that if I got into trouble - it could bail me out....

Thanks

Maybe call up Evil and see what they say. If anything ask on the ridemonkey board.. there's quite a people on Sovereigns there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have a Sovereign. Very comfortable and nimble despite the weight compared to my previous Chameleon. I am 5'11" and riding with a 70mm stem. Feels good to me. And I also have a Pike although at this moment I am riding it with a Marz AM1. I will be returning to the Pike as soon as I get my new wheelset. It's now my singlespeed bike but last year I had it set-up 1x9 and did very technical trails without problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hi I have just recently bought a Soveregin short. I came from a Surly instigator. The bikes have the same solid feeling when you press them. They tend to awake when you pound them really hard. Very solid and nice feeling. The reason for changing to the Evil was a nice deal on a frame and the fact that I wanted shorter chainstays (the instigator is not long 425 mm) and lower stand over. The flexibillity with the setup is much better on the Evil. But as I have recently changed I have to have some quallity tme with the Evil.

What I can recomend is the Surly Instigator. Hell of a nice bike. I still have the frame left and will not sell it in case of........

Good luck with the bike but have a look at the Instigator aswell.

Patrik