mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Some advice please...

Hello. I recently had my bike stolen it was a Trek (I think 883 or something like that). I got it when I was around 10yrs old, Im 27 now and obviously need to replace it.

Im going through my insurance so have to choose from Bike Replacments website. They have a rather large selection, so I'd really like some advice as it's been a while since I looked into bikes!!

They are giving me 299 to spend but my budget is up to 400 in total. They don't have any Treks on the website so I guess my first question would be what are the best makes and which are ones to avoid?

I have narrowed it down to these 4 bikes-
    Specialized Hardrock Disc 2014 400
    Specialized Myka disc 26 Womens 2013 400
    Whistle 1383D 2013 399
    Giant Revel 2 2014 375

I think they all have fairly similar specs, the whistle looks cool but I've read somethings that suggest to avoid Whistle

Could someone advise me on which one I should go for or suggest any others I should look at up to 400?

Also, as a women should I be going for a womens bike, would it benefit me, I'm a bit skeptical that perhaps they aren't as good as mens or unisex bikes?

Thanks in advance

Lauren

mtbr member
    I would look at any local bike shops you have, to see if they carry the Specialized or Giant brands, as it will be easier to get service on your new bike then.

If you could see one of these in person that would go along way to telling you if it is the right bike for you. You generally can't go wrong with Specialized or Giant. I have not heard of Whistler, I would stay away from something like that. Let us know what you choose!

mtbr member
    x2.....
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    I would go Giant or Specialized, at this price these two bikes are pretty much the same, test them if you can and take the one you like the most, personally I would go for Giant, I just like their compagny and you get a lifetime warantly on the frame, for me they are one of the best bike compagny so that's why I would go Giant hope this helps a bit! Have fun with your bike!
    Hit it first, then we can see where to put the landing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lauren,
    Women's bikes are designed to fit women (shorter bars and cranks, lower top tube for better standover, b/c many women are shorter). So you might be more comfortable on a women's bike, but you're right that the components aren't generally as good, which I don't understand either. Not to be sexist. . . . The best way to find out is to go to some dealers (more visits to shops is better--more opinions!) and try out both male and female bikes and see what would work for you. Women's bikes also come in very limited variety, while men's come almost however you want them. Specialized has quite a few women's specific bikes. But it's always best to get in some test rides; don't always believe what the dealers tell you either, they have to make the money. Hope it's helpful.