mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Solid, polyvalent and somewhat light ?

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on my next bike purchase. Before, I use to love downhill ( not that I was good at it, but I liked it ). But for the last 5-6 years, I was bikeless.

So now I'm considering buying again, and I realize that most of what I new changed. Needless to say, I did a lot of reading, but it's still hard to come with just a couple options.

Bike use:
    - X-Country: Mostly cross country trails, (and some asphalt too to get there, or just to ride around town.)
    - Downhill: Some time, I'll go to ski resort during summer, and I'd like my bike to be able to handle downhill trail. I won't do crazy cliff jumps, so I'd like the bike to be somewhat solid.

I was thinking of:
    - Double suspension
    - Tubeless
    - Hydrolic disc brakes
    - A $2000 budget (is that realistic, should I have more, if so, why ?)

I know it's vague, but that pretty much the best I'm able to describe my need. I also know that I should probably get more than 1 bike, but I just have so much money.

mtbr member
    Came to learn what the word 'polyvalent' meant. High point of the post. You have independently recreated the most common question on this entire forum. Congratulations!

Search?

Cheers!

reading comprehension wat
    Hi,

I'm sorry for thread-jacking, but I'm in a similar situation as the OP. I'm looking for some advice on my next bike purchase. I'm looking for something with a cubic crystalline structure with strong atomic bonds in an uniform lattice that can easily maintain dynamic equilibrium at extreme velocities, founded on a comprehensive fluid dynamic tested form which creates minimal aerodynamic drag, yet has pnumatic damping and terra-firma adherance function that regenerates itself from fissures and has ground control elements built into the forward and rear trisector which dynamically isolates the rider from the terrain, and has fluid-pressure based velocity control units with unsurpassed thermodynamic characteristics. Must not cost more than 1.8673962 x 10^5 JPY.

I was thinking of:
    - hyper capacitor matrix integration
    - explosively pumped flux compression generator
    - transformer rectifier a using twelve-pulse bridge or three-phase, full-wave circuit

I know it's vague, but that pretty much the best I'm able to describe my need. I also know that I should probably get more than 1 bike, but I just have so much money, thanks to my PhD.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    Solid, polyvalent and somewhat light ?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	786869
    Woa, for a warm welcome, I must admit I'm left rather cold.

If it's so common to have someone looking for a tubeless bike suitable for cross country under a $2000 budget ( meaning with taxes ), just point me out one of 2 threads were people already pointed out the vast amount of answers you seem to say there is.

As I've said, I already tried to search, but either I could not find the good match, either I would increase the budget and get soo much choices I'm not able to find a good way to compare them.

So instead of wasting so much time turning my request to ridicule, if you think I could be more precise, you could use that time to help me figure out what my need might be.

I told you right off the start that I feel lost, and asked for help. I don't think I've been rude, or anything like it... why the need to be so mean ? Not to flame, but I wasn't expecting my MTBR experience to share so much with 4chan. This post will now be referenced, and people who search may find this topic, and all they will find will be useless replies... It's counter-productive for everyone.

mtbr member

Sweet Clarity, Provided Gratis

Your question is good for you, but bad for MTBR. Local bike shop employees _love_ (or are paid to pretend to love) the question "What can I get for $X?"

That question has dozens of presumptions that no one on mtbr can answer, but the LBS guy or gal will silently, professionally fill depending on his or her experience and what they are trying to sell.

As you play it through in your mind, as soon as a would-be helper hits "Well, it depends on..." you're done. So for best results, don't ask a question that will inevitably lead there.

MTBR is a wonderful resource that requires only two things: thick skin and specific questions. Keep the scope narrow. No one is going to walk you through a long series of value judgements that require personal (you) input at multiple steps.

What people will do is pour snark on anyone who asks advice on a DH bike that is also an XC bike that will also see use as a commuter bike.

Here is one direct bit of advice--get the differences between riding style and 'bike type' straight in your mind and in future posts. Any bike can be ridden downhill. Any downhill bike can be ridden to the trailhead. But those aren't the same thing, you surely know, but no one can read your mind.

Enough w/ the guilt trip. People (even me) might have gotten snarky (oh noes, not Capt. Picard macro!), but you could have tripped over a rolled up print copy of Decline and at least come into the conversation knowing how tubeless works.

Cheers

trail projectile

Solid, polyvalent and somewhat light ?

You seem to want an "all mountain" bike. That's a marketing term, but apropos here.

$2000 is a little low for this type of bike, but right now is a great timeframe to get a deal on leftovers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    dv8xin,

Wang et al. (Surface & Coatings Technology 200 (2006) 2923 2928) shows that bond strength of particular coatings varies with respect to density*(volume fraction)^2 whereas bond strength is not highly correlated with conventional thermodynamic state parameters such as momentum nor velocity.

Further, you can likely eliminate your transformer rectifier since the ultra-capacitor should provide sufficient damping for finite energy values including those exhibited during DH riding over all skill levels.

That is, for the specified cost of 2 kilobucks, I suggest a used Mojo HD since it can accomodate 140 or 160 mode with sufficient headroom for the specified application.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by ca_rider; 04-03-2013 at 12:55 AM.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Get a Santa Cruz Heckler (maybe not the best spec for 2 grand, but doeable)or something similar. 6" travel, front and read, and ride ride ride! Ask yourself, what riding will you do more of and get more enjoyment from. If its more xc trail riding, focus more on that rather than concerning the dh aspects of the bike.

Or as suggested, there are a lt of used options for your pricepoint.

RideDirt
    There is no bike that will do XC riding and then do Dh riding . Pick only 1 or buy 2 bikes . If your only doing XC then go for a 29er or if your doing DH then any DH bike will work but i would get something from 2010 and up . Go to your LBS , tell them what you want to ride and whats your budget, then you should be able to demo a few bikes. Good luck .

By the way , you sound whiney . Dont get so butt hurt from a forums

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmaz View Post
    Woa, for a warm welcome, I must admit I'm left rather cold.

If it's so common to have someone looking for a tubeless bike suitable for cross country under a $2000 budget ( meaning with taxes ), just point me out one of 2 threads were people already pointed out the vast amount of answers you seem to say there is.

As I've said, I already tried to search, but either I could not find the good match, either I would increase the budget and get soo much choices I'm not able to find a good way to compare them.

So instead of wasting so much time turning my request to ridicule, if you think I could be more precise, you could use that time to help me figure out what my need might be.

I told you right off the start that I feel lost, and asked for help. I don't think I've been rude, or anything like it... why the need to be so mean ? Not to flame, but I wasn't expecting my MTBR experience to share so much with 4chan. This post will now be referenced, and people who search may find this topic, and all they will find will be useless replies... It's counter-productive for everyone.
    "Lighten up Francis."

If you stick around the forum, you'll see how often your question comes up, and how difficult it can be to answer.

Do a few searches and you will notice how common your basic question of "which bike is for me?" comes up. Also, if you could provide the following information (taken from a sticky in the Bike and Frame Discussion) it would help.

1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
    2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
    3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
    4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
    6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
    7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?

I know you answered some of these, but be honest and fill in the blanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    1) Your budget. How much do you have to spend on the bicycle (not including accessories such as helmet, gloves and other accessories).
    I would really like under 2000$, including taxes.

2) What bikes, if any, are you already considering? (Please try to limit the selection to a handful if at all possible, and provide links to those bikes. Remember, we don't always know the exact specs of all the bikes out there!)
    I've read some good about the :
    - Giant Reign 2, ( but out of price range, and look too heavy/bouncy for X-Country )
    - Specialized Camber Elite 29

I remember that I had a Giant Warp DS-1 when I was a kid, and except for the rear suspension that was disapointing, I found that it was a great ride for me ( cheap, was a no brainer bike; I could go everywhere with it, and it was not too painful to use on flat/uphill terrain ) I would like to find something similar, but close to the 2000$ mark.

I also had a Balfa BB7, which was a blast for downhill, but that's all I could do with it, so a downhill only bike would be too specific for my need ( and too expensive anyway )

3) What type of riding do you intend to do? (e.g. Cross Country, Freeride, Downhill, paved paths)
    - Realistically, I will do mostly cross country
    - But I will enjoy the most light to medium downhill.

4) Do you have a preference over a hardtail or full suspension?
    - I would prefer full suspension.

5) Age, weight and height. (In many instances very important for a variety of reasons).
    - 28, 140, 5'10"

6) What sources will you consider buying from? (e.g. Your Local Bike Shop, online vendors, or used bike sources such as mtbr classifieds, craigslist, ebay and others)
    - I'm open to everything, including 2nd hand if the condition would be close to new.

7) Do you want people to offer you alternative suggestions to issues such as budget, bikes already considered, and sources?
    - Of course, I'm no expert, and I think I may look at bad options, and miss very good one. So that was kind of the point for me to post at first.

mtbr member
    If you're thinking about the Specialized Camber 29, then check out Airborne Bicycles, specifically the new HobGoblin.

It's well under your budget at $1749.95

Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin

They are a factory direct supplier, so you'll have to do some minor assembly on your own. But the parts spec blows the Specialized away.

mtbr member
    As people have said, the reason you're catching so much flak on this is that XC and DH are pretty much diametrically opposite in what they require from a bike.
    Have you considered buying an XC/trail bike, then renting at the mountain? Costs about $100 CAD a day at Whistler, would be a way better option if you only go a few times a year.

Edit: The Spec. Camber and Airborne Hobgoblin are not bikes that I would suggest taking to a bike park.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    If you're thinking about the Specialized Camber 29, then check out Airborne Bicycles, specifically the new HobGoblin.

It's well under your budget at $1749.95

Airborne Bicycles. HobGoblin

They are a factory direct supplier, so you'll have to do some minor assembly on your own. But the parts spec blows the Specialized away.
    Woa, that's a really nice discovery, thanks for pointing that out, first time I hear about that brand...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This has been up for over a month:
    2011 Ibis Mojo SL- Medium - $22450 (Santa Barbara) - Pinkbike
    (advertised cost is $2450)
    so you may be able to chew him down to $2k. This is likely your size and a SL would be a fun bike to own.
    I live in the town this is being sold from, and can go check it out and take pics of the bike and dude to make sure it is legit if you want to follow up.

Also I chewed this guy down to $2200 recently:
    2011 Turner 5-Spot Expert - Pinkbike
    but didn't buy it, it is still available.
    however this may be slightly large for you.

I bought a bike off pinkbike recently and ended up with a very positive experience and bang/buck.

Cheers.

reading comprehension wat
    Or if you're willing to do more research on bikes, you can start with a clean slate and buy a new medium Yeti ASR5 frame from Competitive Cyclist for $800 shipped and add on what parts ya got, if you got any. Can just add second hand parts to fill it in, from classifieds and what not to keep the total cost down. You will understand your bike a lot better this way, and you probably won't turn your bike into a creaky, squeaky, noisy, rough moving mess by spraying it down with water, dish soap, and soaking it in degreasers and whatnot, simply only relubing the chain afterwards, maybe since you wouldn't be too concerned about keeping its brand new look and are more familiar with the individual parts that make up the bike.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.