mtbr member
    Mar 2009

so I seem to have become obsessed.

i cant stop thinking about getting a new heckler. I keep reading that it is a good AM bike. So I am wondering if anyone has the new 09 with the D am complete build. I think that is the only outfitting I can afford and I dont know nearly enough to try and build my own. I am wondering what you have experienced so far. What has broken or what has surprised you about it. Any thoughts would be helpful. Also can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages of getting this over the jamis dakar xcr 2.0. I think that is what its called. It seems to have better components but no one really raves about it like a heckler. Help a brother out. I am becoming obsessed here.... is this normal?
    nate

mtbr member
    Look for a good deal on last years model. I just bought a 08 trek remedy 7 and only spent 2200.. New ones are 3200. Plus if you get a new bike you know your going to want some new gear to go with it. I dont like buying used, but I will buy last years model if I can spend that extra 1000 I saved on some sweet gear.
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebars / Seatpost

mtbr member
    Also check out www.rscycle.com there having a closeout on the MKIII's right now but IH is going out of business so use caution. You could potentially save yourself 5 or 600. I actually had one on order and then canceled when I found the remedy at pasadena cyclery.
    Trek Fuel EX8
    Full XT cockpit
    Thompson X4 Elite Stem
    Easton Haven Carbon Handlebars / Seatpost

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    Nate- welcome to the obsession. If you live in the L.A. area, I'd be happy to show you how to build a bike. I love building bikes and helping brothers out!

mtbr member
    Dude, take cgrocho up on his offer. Build one up! If you are thinking about a heckler you can grab a previous generation frame for a steal right now. I've been riding an '04 for a while and love it (check photos in my profile). My 2 buddies have '08 hecklers and we can't tell the difference in ride quality.

The heckler makes an sweet AM rig. Make sure to go with a coil shock!

i like bike
    Feb 2009
    If a heckler you desire then a heckler you need...
    theres a lot of good MTB brands out there, SC happens to be a very good one... kind think buying a Mercedes over a Lexus... both are good, well built, but... its a mercedes...

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    you should not be disappointed. i also weight the heckler when i was buying my AM bike. the olny reason i didn't do with it was i wanted something that i know was going to be stronger and stiffer than the heckler is. not that it is bad in these traits i was just looknig for a little more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cgrocho
    Nate- welcome to the obsession. If you live in the L.A. area, I'd be happy to show you how to build a bike. I love building bikes and helping brothers out!
    I wish. If I lived out there I would be all over that offer so thank you. But.. I live in south west missouri. We do get the blessing of riding northern arkansas and chadwick but I doubt it is anything like riding anywhere at all out west. Maybe one day I can go out there and ride like a man. Need a mans bike first though.. right.... like a heckler... right... see .... justification right there. ha
    nate

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ahh obsession- there's no greater a feeling in the world. Some argue satisfying that obsession is even better but I'm not so sure about that...
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

addict
    The Heckler is a great ride, instills confidence and takes a beating. Build it light or build it burly. The D AM would be a good starting point. Adding upgrades as you need them is also a good way to get intimate with the workings of the bike. There were some good deals on new Hecklers a few weeks ago, or with a little searching, you should be able to find a sweet deal on a used one.

The obsession only gets worse, but it sure is fun.

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by natenite
    I wish. If I lived out there I would be all over that offer so thank you. But.. I live in south west missouri. We do get the blessing of riding northern arkansas and chadwick but I doubt it is anything like riding anywhere at all out west. Maybe one day I can go out there and ride like a man. Need a mans bike first though.. right.... like a heckler... right... see .... justification right there. ha
    nate
    Ah, my mother-in-law is from SW MO. Best of luck to you on your Heckler quest. I'm not a big fan of single pivot bikes, but they have their virtues and the Heckler is one of the best. If you're trying to stick to a budget a good used one will give you much more bang for your buck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natenite
    nate
    Don't think that just because it is CA it is necessarily better. You have some of the best riding in the country right in your area. You have it pretty darn good... Hit the Womble(ride it all in a day too...more than I wanted) and you will not go away wanting. I have heard Syllamo is fun as well. I have ridden in CA(northern) and it is fun as well but I wouldn't characterize it as "better", although Northstar was pretty dang fun..

BTW... I ride a heckler, and it rocks... 2003 model. I had it built up for me with the components I wanted, although I would build it myself now and save some cash. No experience with the pre-built ones.

mtbr member
    There's something to be said for having a brand new bike. However, for less than the price of the D AM kit there are deals like this http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/418500/. 20mm up front, much better fork, wheels, components, etc... Just some food for thought. And just to be clear, that's not my bike for sale.

Good Luck!

cgrocho
    Jun 2006
    If you are intent on a new Heckler, Colorado Cyclist is selling 'em for $1600. Try to ride one for sizing purposes first though - assuming a particular size is right for you without testing it is not a good idea. If I went this route I'd find a good LBS and try to get them close to the price.

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmax
    Dude, take cgrocho up on his offer. Build one up! If you are thinking about a heckler you can grab a previous generation frame for a steal right now. I've been riding an '04 for a while and love it (check photos in my profile). My 2 buddies have '08 hecklers and we can't tell the difference in ride quality.

The heckler makes an sweet AM rig. Make sure to go with a coil shock!
    I agree with masonmax. I have had two old version Hecklers, one built up "all mountain" and my latest one more of a lighter XC set up.

It is a well know fact that a coil works the best unless you get a Fox Float pushed like on my latest Heckler. I have not ridden this bike yet, I just built it up over the winter.

I know how you feel about the obsession, keep us posted.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools