mtbr member

Snappy feeling Climbers

Looking to build a 'snappy' and efficient 130-150mm bike. Something that has the travel and ability to handle all-mountain descents with a big rider (200lbs). But also feels quick and sprightly going up, and on XC rides. My climbs can be brutally steep and long, with equal style descents. Need something with versatility.

I've narrowed it down to the following...any thoughts?

5010 (Pike 140mm)
    Bronson (Fox 34 150mm)
    Remedy (Fox 34 140mm)
    Trance (Fox 34 140mm)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Looking to build a 'snappy' and efficient 130-150mm bike. Something that has the travel and ability to handle all-mountain descents with a big rider (200lbs). But also feels quick and sprightly going up, and on XC rides. My climbs can be brutally steep and long, with equal style descents. Need something with versatility.

I've narrowed it down to the following...any thoughts?

5010 (Pike 140mm)
    Bronson (Fox 34 150mm)
    Remedy (Fox 34 140mm)
    Trance (Fox 34 140mm)
    Turner Burner
    Yeti SB66/75/95

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That list is pretty damn good. The 5010 carbon only weighs 5-5.5 lbs, so if you built that up with a lighter than fox pike, or even lighter revelation, I would think that would be your best climber, however, it has the least rear travel of the bikes on your list. I'm sure the other 3 all climb very similarly. I'm kinda trying to do the same thing you are with your all mountain bike that still climbs well. Think my dream bike would be that 5010 with a Pike spaced to 140, xx1, carbon wheels, and stealth dropper post. Not sure I could build that up without feeling guilty.

mtbr member
    One thing I'd mention right off the bat is that people are starting to find that wheels larger than 26 get flexy very fast. Whatever you do, if you go larger than 26, do not skimp on the wheels. A friend from work had to upgrade all the way to some Enves on his SB-95 to get rid of the flex. The stock rims were allowing the tires to wear on the frame. Even the 27.5 rims suffer from this to a degree, so get the stiffest wheelset you can.

the SB-66 is pretty awesome. I weigh more than you, and it climbed very well with me on it. It also is VERY lively when descending. I would assume that the new SB-75 will feel very similar.

I owned a Giant Reign, and from what people are saying, the new Trance feels pretty much identical to it. That is not a bad thing at all. It may feel a tad tall when trying to whip it through tight turney sections, but it will climb and descend very well.

I haven't ridden a Bronson, but my friend and my brother both have. They say it accelerates just like a 26er, which is a good thing. They also said that it feels very Nomad-ish while descending. Also a very good thing.

My vote would be the Bronson, followed by the SB-75, then the Trance. I don't really like the suspension system on Treks (to me it feels like it has to compromise between climbing and descending).
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Pivot 5.7 or 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The difference between the Bronson C's climbing ability and the Mach 429c's is very small. The B is a great pedaler in ProPedal. I can imagine the 5010 is better still. I'm a DW Link fan, but really warming up to Santa Cruz's VPP.

My wife rented a Trance for a day. Nice going down, but on the heavy side.

Finally stateside again
    The Pike should be a part of all those builds

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Pivot 5.7 or 6
    Agreed! Never tried a Mach6, but I can certify the Mach5.7c corresponds very well to what you are looking for. I'd expect the Mach6 to be very good also.

mtbr member
    Good feedback. The Trek ABP design isn't much of a climber?

I'm trying to stick with a XL frame that's < 6.5lbs. I'd love to try Yeti's switch, but the SB-75 alu size M frame weighs a portly 7.5 lbs, too much for a 120mm trail bike IMO.

Great points on the wheelsets, thanks. The stock Santa Cruz DT350/WTB i23 wheelsets seem to be fairly stiff/light. Not sure on the inhouse from Trek/Giant. Beyond upgrading to carbon (I could only afford risky chinese ones), I'm not sure how much an improvement expensive alu wheelsets like the I9 Enduro would be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    The Trek ABP design isn't much of a climber?
    It depends on how it's set up. If you stiffen up the shock a lot, it will climb great. But that comes at the cost of rough terrain and downhill performance. It can get really really harsh and spring-like when going through rough stuff. Conversely, if you set your shock softer for rough terrain performance, it will suffer on the climbs. Floating pivot systems like Santa Cruz's VPP, Giant's Maestro, Yeti's Switch, and Canfield's One design tend to cover a wider amount of terrain. Set it to your weight, and it usually will climb very efficiently, and be soft and cushy for the rough stuff without fiddling with silly pro pedal switches and other band-aid fixes.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

eBiker
    Great question. I'll say all of the bikes above. The reason is " My climbs can be brutally steep and long" which makes the "climb" mode on a CTD rear shock make all bikes snappy.

Short punchy climbs, is where a frame's built in "snappiness" shines (with the climb mode off)

P