mtbr member
    Jul 2010

New question here. Slicks for my MTB!!???!

I have been riding road a lot with my bike and have been wanting to put slicks on it. The tire I have ride now 26"x2.2". I dont know much about interchanging tires and what the dimensions need to be. So any help on a good tire and where I could find it would be great..
    "Rise and rise again, until lambs become lions"

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey, I just got a pair of slicks for my MTB for my indoor trainer but and will probably road ride them a bit. They are Michelin XCR road tires, although they do say Michelin 1.40 Wild Run'r on the sidewall. If you are looking for a tire that is close to a roadie bike tire this one is very close. I got them for $40 for the pair. I know ritchey makes slicks in a 2.2 but they are about $45 each. I was also looking at Schwalbe Kojak but they are more expensive for my needs.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    the typre needs to be 26" (the diameter of your wheel)
    as for the 2.2 you have, for road riding, the smaller that number (tyre width) the better, as there's less rolling resistance.
    You wont be able to use road bike tyres as theyre not 26"
    Most mountainbike skicks are about 26x1.4, I think a few brands may go slightly smaller.

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    26x1.5 tires are pretty standard. Some will actually be "slick" while others will have inverted tread or small knobbies. I would check Nashbar (or your local LBS) for something cheap.

I have had some Avocet Cross 26x1.5 tires on and off my mtb for the last 4 years. I first used them when my mtb was my commuter. Now that I have a full suspension trail bike, I put them back on my hardtail, which is serving as a city/urban bike. I am actually thinking about putting some fatter tires on, though, seeing as how I often ride my city bike for exercise purpose (and fatter tires offer more rolling resistance) and miss the comfort and "mountain bike feel" of a plusher ride. Plus, I'd like to offer this bike to friends interested in mountain biking with me.

All that being said, skinny tires will make your bike a lot faster on asphalt!

Good luck- Ryan

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    as for the 2.2 you have, for road riding, the smaller that number (tyre width) the better, as there's less rolling resistance.
    i heard pro race teams were actually using slightly larger tires. something to do with resistance or effort, maybe some who knows about road bikes will chime in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    what about Schwalbe Kojak 26x2.0's? Pretty nice tire, bald as..well...kojak..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i heard pro race teams were actually using slightly larger tires. something to do with resistance or effort, maybe some who knows about road bikes will chime in.
    I'm not an expert in the matter as I don't use a road bike but I think thats got to do with larger contact patches to the ground for wet or mountainous sections of a road ride. I could be wrong but I have heard that before.

The idea being more torque is applied per stroke.

T.W.O.
    For road smaller is ok, but for AM if you want slick you can go Schwalbe Super-Moto, big fat slick

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Schwable Big Apples are awesome. Have them on my Fargo and my Bridgestone MB3. Great ride on the road.

mtbr member
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwsmith
    I have been riding road a lot with my bike and have been wanting to put slicks on it. The tire I have ride now 26"x2.2". I dont know much about interchanging tires and what the dimensions need to be. So any help on a good tire and where I could find it would be great..
    If you want to do road only, I recommend the Specialized All Condition. They're light (265 g), narrow (1.0) and accelerate fast. I got them on my full rigid Cannondale and they've showed to be reliable (except for a couple of punctures, but that's on a 2+ years period).

mtbr member
    I have a set of Michelin Country Rock tires in 1.75 and they work great. There is some very small tread but not enough to feel. Bike is MUCH faster on the road than regular MTB tires. But I also keep them on a second set of wheels so it's much easier to change out when I want to ride on the street.
    Last edited by dunerinaz; 05-26-2011 at 04:53 PM.

~Disc~Golf~
    Got some Maxxis Hookworms, they're on the heavy side, but once they're rollin', they stay rollin'. They are absolutely BOMBPROOF - so for an MTB commuter/Urban riding they are great.

Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This has been a great tire for dual purpose use. I have them on a bike that I often train with on the road.
    R
    http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Urban/Holy-Roller.aspx

My spelling is atroshus
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    This has been a great tire for dual purpose use. I have them on a bike that I often train with on the road.
    R
    My 8 year old son has those on his kona hula and loves them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    R
    We've used those on both of my son's bmx race bikes. They work well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    panaracer T-serve in many colors to choose from..

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ Is that hideous or totally fawkin awesome lookin?
    I think I lean to the latter - but man, it's close
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    another one in a Panaracer T-serve, my daily commuter, A Habanero Titanium..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    ^^^ Is that hideous or totally fawkin awesome lookin?
    I think I lean to the latter - but man, it's close
    the fork clashes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Kenda Kwest, 100psi 26x1.5. Don't forget, going 1.5 means you will need new tubes as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I like Ritchey Tom Slicks

the test dummy
    hookworms
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kenda K836 26 x 1.9 a pair of those and thorn proof tubes addeded 5 pound to my bike.