mtbr member
    May 2013

Slayer vs. slash

I just had a trek slash 9. Great bike, but bought it used for a great deal and it was only a large frame. I'm 6-3 , so I felt very cramped on drops and steep descents, flat like I was forcing myself out of position.. I managed to sell it for what I'd invested in it. Now, I'm looking for something similar. I don't want to pay 5800 for a new slash 9' and used XL slash bikes are impossible to find, and so are new slash 7's and 8's. I've checked geometry on all similar bikes and feel that, for the money, the best competitor of the bike is a Rocky Mountain slayer. As a Tall rider, I like the longer wheelbase. The only complaint i had on the slash was it just didn't seem to pedal as efficiently uphill- from what i've read the slayer my be a little more balanced. Anyone out there been on both? My riding style is flow, blue and black, tabletops, but no booter jumping, drops of 3', and there are no ski lift bike parks nearby, so I have to ride to the top.
    Last edited by Lane McIlvoy; 05-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Look into giant reign x. Or somthing with less travel. .. a full squish 29er with 120-140mm of travel sounds right up your alley. If your not sending it off big drops or hauling balls down rock filled dh runs the slash might have been.too much bike for you

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Look into giant reign x. Or somthing with less travel. .. a full squish 29er with 120-140mm of travel sounds right up your alley. If your not sending it off big drops or hauling balls down rock filled dh runs the slash might have been.too much bike for you
    Totally agree-great bike. The only problem I seem to have is no one in my region has a reign X I can try the fit out on. The reign (non X) Large frame is almost a good fit, but it is just a little tight, just like the slash was. Also not quite burly enough, i'm 240 lbs.... Tried finding a way to contact giant direct to see if thy had a location they knew of that might have a one i could demo or at least test ride, but all of their solutions say "go to you local dealer"' and all of them want me to pay a non-refundable deposit. Only reason I'm still thinking slash is I'm sure theXL will fit as it opens up in length just a little, which is all I needed. But definitely more bike than I need (or want to pay for). Sucks being tall....

mtbr member
    I have a 2008 reign X and im 6'5" they only make a large, no XL. The only time i feel cramped is on steep technical climbs, sometimes i hit my knee on the stem. Also my butt has a tendency to sit a little further back on the saddle than i'd like. I made the bike feel larger by putting 780mm bars w/ 33mm rise on it, a stem that was 10mm longer than the stock one.

I've demoed a slash, and I own a Fuel EX8 so im pretty familiar with treks evo link+DRCV and I like Maestro better. The XL slash was fun as hell, but the reignx is more playful and forgiving.

It definitely sucks being tall. I cant find clothes and i hit my head all the time.

mtbr member
    tall people have it ruff. at least you get picked first for basket ball

mtbr member
    Turner Bikes - Turner Bikes - Turner Sultan

I would give the turner sultan a solid look.

Or if your more of DH guy get the Niner WFO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slayer vs. slash-2013_sultan_cust_black_1920.jpg  

Slayer vs. slash-wfo9_9_960x540.jpg  

I like bikes
    I have a 2011 RM Slayer. As far as climbing, it is super efficient for a 6" travel bike. It does stay active in the travel while climbing, but does not bob from normal pedalling. When it is pointed downhill, it is a blast to ride. The upright riding style takes a bit of getting use to, but I really like the feel now. You can get RM Slayers for great prices if you look hard enough.