doofus.

Slacker head angle, is it rake or trail that makes the difference?

I'm thinking. The benefit of slacker head angle for hardtail AM use, is it a function of the rake or increased trail?

?
    - keith

mtbr member extraordinair
    yes
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith
    I'm thinking.
    Then what is the answer, maaaaaan?

doofus.
    damn magic 8-ball rolled under the couch. - that's why I'm asking you guys.
    - keith

doofus.
    actually, I'm digesting some 96/69er thread light reading - wondering if the effect(affect?) of the increased trail of the larger front wheel resembles the slacker HA benefits for an AM bike...?

I'm mired in geometry at the moment, our shop is too cold to put my bike together, so I'm entertaining myself.
    - keith

mtbr member
    For a HT i would think you'd want a larger front wheel as opposed to a slacker HA since a HT gets steeper in the HA and SA the farther you push it. Obviously, a larger front wheel wont lose its effective HA as much but will still have the same characteristics of a slacker HA (with the disadvantages of the larger wheel, though). For a F/S i prefer a slacker HA as opposed to a larger front wheel, ymmv.
    nothing witty here...

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    For a HT i would think you'd want a larger front wheel ...
    Both, I'd say, whether hardtail or full suspension.

Slacker rake for more plush bump hit compliance, plus added stability from wheelbase gain.

And more steering-trail for slower turn-in holding traction for faster harder braking corner entry.

But more awkward for slow corners and steeper climbing.

Going to a bigger wheel has handling effect changes in the same direction, and rolls easier with more traction, but is heavier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Performance VS fork angle changes

I'm looking for advice on a similar issue. I recently purchased an older Fetish (69er, single speed, hardtail) and I want to replace the front suspension fork with a rigid one. In doing so I realize that the front end will be dropped a couple of inches with an effective change in the overall steering head angle relative to the ground. Because the head angle on this frame is already quite severe, does anyone see this as a problem? If so, what is the best fork choice to compensate or....?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by eimkeith
    I'm thinking. The benefit of slacker head angle for hardtail AM use, is it a function of the rake or increased trail?

?
    Trail is a function of the combination of HTA, fork offset and wheel/tire diameter. You can not change one without it affecting the trail.

If you find that using a slacker HTA, with no other changes, is better for you, then yes, part of the reason is the increase in trail.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common