mtbr member

Single track bike questions

I have been riding DH for a few years now and have recently started to ride single track trails throughout Co more and more. So I decided to spring for a second bike that's a little more trail specific vs riding my what seems like a 60lb DH bike (Trek session 77).

So I ended up with a Mongoose XR-Pro. Not the best choice for a bike I know, but I didn't have a very big budget at the time and this seemed to have everything I was looking for in a bike and within my price range. Think that should have been a red flag in itself, being that I was getting too much on a bike for the $400 I spent to believe they would be quality parts.

Overall not that bad of a bike in all actuality, has a nice frame and half way decent components. One of the main issues I am having though are that the 29'' tires coupled with what I believe are 175mm crank arms seem to want to come into direct contact of each other when I'm turning... WTH? Who manufactures a bike that way?

My question is this: Would buying shorter crank arms suffice? My concern is that if I were to purchase shorter crank arms, say 165mm then I will be sacrificing the ease of pedaling quite a bit. I cant imagine it to be cost effective to put on smaller tires not to mention how low the frame would ride... Any thoughts? Because at this point i have half a mind to sell the bike on CL and just keep using my DH bike for trail riding.

Single track bike questions-ae4f3a0c.jpg
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Toe overlap is fairly common but rarely a real issue on the trail. Unless you're actually getting contact while riding I wouldn't worry about it.

mtbr member
    That's the problem... The peddle actually comes in contact with the tire while riding when I turn, let alone when I have my toes hanging off the front of the peddle. Has almost made me eat it a few times now.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Single track bike questions

Quote Originally Posted by 303BGB View Post
    I have been riding DH for a few years now and have recently started to ride single track trails throughout Co more and more. So I decided to spring for a second bike that's a little more trail specific vs riding my what seems like a 60lb DH bike (Trek session 77).

So I ended up with a Mongoose XR-Pro. Not the best choice for a bike I know, but I didn't have a very big budget at the time and this seemed to have everything I was looking for in a bike and within my price range. Think that should have been a red flag in itself, being that I was getting too much on a bike for the $400 I spent to believe they would be quality parts.

Overall not that bad of a bike in all actuality, has a nice frame and half way decent components. One of the main issues I am having though are that the 29'' tires coupled with what I believe are 175mm crank arms seem to want to come into direct contact of each other when I'm turning... WTH? Who manufactures a bike that way?

My question is this: Would buying shorter crank arms suffice? My concern is that if I were to purchase shorter crank arms, say 165mm then I will be sacrificing the ease of pedaling quite a bit. I cant imagine it to be cost effective to put on smaller tires not to mention how low the frame would ride... Any thoughts? Because at this point i have half a mind to sell the bike on CL and just keep using my DH bike for trail riding.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE4F3A0C.jpg 
Views:	591 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	816466
    Looks like the fork may be bent, which would cause the pedal contact.
    Did you buy this new or used? I see some non-stock parts on there.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've not seen direct pedal-tire contact on a MTB. Do you have a picture of it? Going to a 165mm crank probably won't help much as it's less than a 1/2 difference and your foot will still be hanging over.

mtbr member
    That first pic was off Google... But ha! It made me realize I'm a retard and had assembled the fork on backwards Gotta crawl before you can walk lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single track bike questions-6.jpg  

Single track bike questions-7.jpg