mtbr member

Single speed all mountain frame??

I tried this in the ss forum not a lot of results. So thought I would try here what I'm looking for is a ss frame that can handle a 130-140 tapered fork. Why you ask? I already have a 130 fork that's why. I myself am coming up short on ideas. I know that niner makes the ros9 that can do it. My other ride is a squishy 29 stumpy so I would a frame that has good ride qualities. I've heard great things about the honey badger but don't know if it can handle the fork I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think when you posted this in the SS forum, I said look at the Canfield Nimble 9. I'll say it again. Look at the Canfield Nimble 9. It's the perfect AM singe speed. Last I checked, they had Geometry numbers for a 140mm fork, which is something I haven't seen on other SS frames, nice short stays, and it's supposed to be a fantastic ride. I came within seconds of buying one last month. I went with a frame that I could actually GET at that point in time, but supply shouldn't be an issue on the N9 anymore.

Rogue Exterminator
    The Honey Badger is incredible but I don't know if it can do 130mm comfortably.
    I have heard rumors about people running 120mm on it with good results but seen nothing to prove it.

You can contact Spot, they are very helpful and responsive with any questions.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I really like the N9 except for the BB drop and seat tube length. It's really rocky here in Albuquerque and I like a bit higher BB than the N9. If you use a dropper and want to get the seat WAY out of the way, I feel the seat tube length is too long unless you go down a size. For reference, I'm 6' and like a 17" max length seat tube on a 125 mm KS dropper (but I prefer the reach of a 19" frame). These may not be issues for you.

ROS looks nice though I'm not sold on the eccentric BB yet.

I had a Banshee Paradox (with tensioner) but had the seat tube/BB issues and now have a Waltworks.

Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Kona honzo is another option that works well as a single speed as long as you are not overly concerned about weight.

mtbr member

Thanks for all the responses so far. I shall check out the n9 when I get a chance. And also check on the honey badger specs

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    I think when you posted this in the SS forum, I said look at the Canfield Nimble 9. I'll say it again. Look at the Canfield Nimble 9. It's the perfect AM singe speed. Last I checked, they had Geometry numbers for a 140mm fork, which is something I haven't seen on other SS frames, nice short stays, and it's supposed to be a fantastic ride. I came within seconds of buying one last month. I went with a frame that I could actually GET at that point in time, but supply shouldn't be an issue on the N9 anymore.
    Hey I checked out the n9 and that looks bad ass!! And sexy as hell in the green. I think that might be what I go with. And compared to some other frames I've seen it's not to bad on the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here is my general list (there are a lot more out there):

Chromag - I believe that you can custom order several of their frames with ss dropouts. I think they have a 27.5 now, Surface for 29er.

Niner - ROS9

Canfield - N9

Transition - TransAm

Kona - Honzo or Explosiv

Breadwinner - Bad Otis (pricey but a truly gorgeous frame)

Lots of custom bikes out there that you can get a sweet steel frame for $1,500 or so. I spent more on a custom Vulture Ti 650b that's the best bike I've ever owned. Lots of euro brands running AM hardtails these days as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I believe the Carver Ti 420 will work with a 140. I've thought about grabbing that frame and running a lesser travel fork as an SS endurance racing rig.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Fyi, JensonUSA gives you $250 money card if you buy ROS bike/frame from them (see their website for details).

I bought the ROS frame from them 3mos ago, back when they didn't have the $250 deal, but I kindly asked them if they could match CC's $250 store credit, and they did. I was leaning towards the N9 before but the ROS was better deal.

Long story short, I built her up and running gears now but will convert to SS very soon. Loving it so far - no complaints. Here she is:
    Single speed all mountain frame??-10252097_10152118673192568_9014303627352934922_n.jpg

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, I heard Spot is offering a discount on their frames through the dealers. I think it was $500 but I can not confirm.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Hey tointoing how much fork do you have on the Ros. I was hoping to ride one at the niner demo I went to but all they had was a large. To big for me.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    @Raleigh I have 140mm Revelation. My frame is medium, I'm about 5'-8" with about 32" inseam - fits me perfect.

mtbr member
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member

The carver 420 looks bad ass!! I'm really looking at the n9 real hard and the yelli screamy even though it's a geared frame. I'm
    Just not sure about ti frame under my 200lb hard riding ass.

mtbr member
    NS surge is high quality inexpensive and has sliding drop outs... I ran it single speed for a while but to be honest running an aggressive bike single speed didnt make a whole lot of sense. all mountain hard tails have a place where they shine and our extremely capable and very fun.. running it single speed takes alot away from it and gives you very little. 2 cents  photo 0706131347a.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Another Nimble 9 recommendation here.

I ran my Nimble at 140mm as a SS here is rocky PA and never hit a pedal or BB. Now I'm running it at 100mm (I built a Yelli for the 140 since I had so much fun with the Nimble) and I still rarely hit the BB.