Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Evlkneevljr

Single chainring up front?

Was thinking about running a single chaingring upfront for my do it all bike (Intense Uzzi VPX). Recently, I was forced into running a single 36T up front when my granny ring sheared all bolts (this was a first). It forced me to run the single and I only had to walk a few steep sections. Had to stand on a few sections to mash up the hill (which I never usually do).

Have any of you gone to a single chainring up front? Do you just get stronger and adjust to it?
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    I started riding with a single 32t chainring after a year hiatus...
    It wasn't all that tough! Of course you don't have the granny...but I think that helped with getting fit. Right now I'm in the verge of going up to a 34t ring!

I guess it all comes down to what terrain you ride on...It's not that steep were I live, so I can get away with riding a 32 to 34 (for my fitness level) ring...

I think you should go with a 34t.

Oh, and it also helps if you ride a 10 speed geared bike! The steps are much closer...and takes a lot less effort than a 9 speed!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

I do what I want
    Yeah I ride single ring exclusively and yes you get stronger. I started with a 32t and within a few short months was up to a 38t and no hiking, I pedal everything.

I highly recommend it, although dont wuss out and get one of the stupid E13 XCX guides, do yourself a favor and man up for a real chainguide like an MRP Mini G2 SL or S4, heck even a Lopes would be good, otherwise your just doing it wrong.
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

Evlkneevljr
    Well, our stuff can get steep and rocky (AZ). I'm thinking to try it out for a while since I'm outta luck on the granny for now. I was just curious about making it work. It sure would simplify things and if I went to a single ring up front with a Gamut guide, my bike would drop to just a hair under 35# with my fox 180 on the front and a coil shock. It can handle anything....just making sure I could. I don't want to hike a bike anywhere; that's not my style.

If I just need to get stronger, then so be it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Single chainring up front?-chainring.jpg  

I like bacon.

Crash Test Dummy
    How the hell did you manage to strip all of the bolts like that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by daverach2478
    Have any of you gone to a single chainring up front? Do you just get stronger and adjust to it?
    Serious question, were you using alloy chain ring bolts? If yes, what the hell were you thinking?!? They're for weenies with more dollars than trail miles.

Anyway. Been running a single 36t on one bike and a 32 on the other (11-34 on back of both). I've found that if I can't climb it with the 36, I still can't climb it with the 32, or on a bike with a granny gear either. The limits of my climbing turned out to be skill and not power related.

36t ring means lots of standing, but I've yet to spin it out off road.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i did the 1x9 for awhile but then switched to 2x9 last year. Gotta say, not going back to 1x9. It was nice to be able to get up a lot of sections that I had struggled with and still have energy left for the ride back down. Riding hasn't been about the fitness for me. Its been about having the most fun. If I'm exhausted from not having as many gears, the ride back down wouldn't be as much fun and riding in general wouldn't be as much fun.

mtbr member
    Use steel bolts when riding 1 ring (a lot of stress on the bolts).

I use a Mrp 1.x Chain Guide, and it works great! It's light and quiet. I have experienced chain drops but a simple adjustment cured it.
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

Evlkneevljr
    Well, I was thinking a 160lb dude wouldn't be able to shear them all off in one fell swoop of a crank turn. They didn't strip - they sheared off riding up a hill about 10 miles out. Had no chioce but to go single up front the next 10 miles out.

Gamut makes aluminum chainring bolts (which is what these were). I've always used alloy chainring bolts because that's what Shimano put on the XT cranks I had. Never had a problem, until now. Seeing as the bolt holes are nice and sealed, thought it might be time to explore going to a single chainring. Thought about it before, but, nothing was pushing me.....until now....seeing as I can't put one on....at least until I get a screw remover bit and do some praying.
    Last edited by daverach2478; 04-04-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    I like bacon.

usually cranky
    you could always get the e13 shift rings. should be coming down the pike soon.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I've seen that before, usually its because of loose bolts.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    1x10 on a 2011 Trek Remedy 9. With a 34 up front and a 36t cog in the rear, there is almost nothing I can't climb in and around Portland, OR.

Of course, the 10+ years of riding singlespeed helped prepare me for the 1x10...

Joe
    --
    Joe Partridge

mtbr member
    Using a larger chainring will be harder, depending on your terrain! I havent made the transition yet, have a 36t single ring waiting to be installed. made the jump from 32t to 36 when i changed to a dual ring crankset, I still used the granny every once in a while.
    I used to pedal up everything on my 32, cant say the same for the 36t. I still have to downshift to the granny after really long rides, but its less and less every day!

I say go for it! it'll make you stronger, make your bike simpler and make your rides more challenging.

Evlkneevljr
    this was one of the unusual incidents. I actually used a torque wrench (45 in lbs) and loctited them in. Even though it was only blue loctite, it's certainly going to make it a pain to try and get them out.
    I like bacon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Jitsu
    1x10 on a 2011 Trek Remedy 9. With a 34 up front and a 36t cog in the rear, there is almost nothing I can't climb in and around Portland, OR.

Of course, the 10+ years of riding singlespeed helped prepare me for the 1x10...

Joe
    After riding 1X9 for the last three years, I think this is probably the ideal gearing setup...

mtbr member
    I started my 1x9 with a 32/12-36 then I got sick- really really sick with a viral infection in my lungs 3 months out of action- moved to Utah which I was excited about but its been winter so now its more like 6 months out of action....had to go to a 28/12-36. Gotta work it back up to a 32...I love the simpleness of a single gear up front. Wish internal geared hubs would come down more in price- that would rock.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    this was one of the unusual incidents. I actually used a torque wrench (45 in lbs) and loctited them in. Even though it was only blue loctite, it's certainly going to make it a pain to try and get them out.
    Oh yeah, I've never seen one do that exact thing. Most of the time the bolts end up stripping out of the crank. Usually steel bolts though.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I recently switched over to running a 32 up front only and fairly new to the MTB scene. I picked up a nice bashguard so what would be a a good alternative to the MRP mini G2, I just need a nice guide to keep the chain in place.

Also, when you when to a single up frotn, did you shorten your chain a few links too?

100% fuzz, 0% melody
    Mar 2011
    If you want to walk nearly as often as a singlespeed rider, go with 1x9.

If you want to be hip and trendy and pretend to be Mark Weir, go with 1x9.

If you want to get stronger because you're lazy and prefer to use that 22t granny ring far more often than you should, go with 1x9.

If you want to look like a pro DHer and have no front der and no cable or front shifter, go with 1x9.

If you want to have a bike that looks like you might do an occasional Super D race even though you never ride much, but like posting pictures of your bike on the Web, go with 1x9.

some or all of the above may apply. use your best judgment to know which works for you.

this was one of the unusual incidents. I actually used a torque wrench (45 in lbs) and loctited them in.
    Dude... why?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I come from a BMX background and prefer the simpleness of it, that I and for my area it makes sense . Actually, if I could make a bike purchase again I would go with a single speed 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride rugged terrain so I have no use for the big rings. I run an 11-34 cassette and a 26T front granny ring. Rarely do I spin out. When I used to ride mellow XC terrain I used a 34T front ring and 11-28 cassette. It all depends on your terrain.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    I'm riding a 32T chainring, BBG bash, Blackspire Stinger, med cage derailleur, ghetto jumpstop and 11-32 cassette here. Several thousand miles on this setup and no issues with chain drop or shifting. Even chain/cassette life was on par.

Ride it everywhere and the gearing has never forced me to hike-a-bike. Other factors have, but not the gearing. :-(

I do what I want
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula

If you want to get stronger because you're lazy and prefer to use that 22t granny ring far more often than you should, go with 1x9.

If you want to look like a pro DHer and have no front der and no cable or front shifter, go with 1x9.

If you want to have a bike that looks like you might do an occasional Super D race even though you never ride much, but like posting pictures of your bike on the Web, go with 1x9.
    WOW someone has issues!! Guessing you tried the 1x9 and couldnt make it work out huh. so sad. Whats you issue with Weir, jealous???
    Guy.Ford

I'm not really an @sshole, I just act like one online.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I'm looking for a good chainguide to run with my raceface bashring.. would this work? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=40435

I already have the bash ring, so I would like to avoid having to buy the complete guide/ring and spending $150.

Blue Pig
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash T. Abula

some or all of the above may apply. use your best judgment to know which works for you.

Dude... why?

Wait, wait, wait... How stupid is your thinking? One can seriously turn the table on what you wrote. Just, get out... now...
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast