mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Should I be worried about a dent in my frame?

I have a 08-09 Ellsworth Moment. I bought it on CL and what a great deal I thought it was after I removed a sticker a week later and realized it came equipped with a dent in the frame. I also appreciate the creativity to smooth it out with a little putty before applying the sticker.

OK so I learned the hard way. Should I be worried about it? It doesn't seem too bad but I don't want to be a victim to frame failure either at the wrong time. I have kids to feed, they need me to be able to work.

mtbr member
    Need a picture

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Should I be worried about a dent in my frame?-cid_91519aa1-dca8-44a8-8055-130bc866677b.jpg

I guess a picture would help huh?

It's about the size of a quarter, but not very deep. Maybe I'm over reacting, I don't know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'd ride it. But it is a douche bag move to not disclose it and hide it the way they did.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That's what i thought and is the part that really bothers me. I would have liked to known about it prior to handing over the cash.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'd try and get my money back. The person who sold it to
    you is a real DB.

mtbr member

Should I be worried about a dent in my frame?

You should be ok but I would have the seller try and get you a crash replacement from triangle from Ells or give you a refund. Do you have any lawyer friends that could write a quick letter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I would try to ask for my money back since you obviously paid for a dent free frame. The problem is that you can't prove that it wasn't dent free once you bought it and that you didn't dent it yourself. In any case it is worth trying to contact the seller.

As for the dent itself I had a similar one in a previous bike and I didn't experience any problems but I wasn't riding it that hard and I always kept my mind in it. Did the color came off or is it just the flash reflection?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post
    I would try to ask for my money back since you obviously paid for a dent free frame. The problem is that you can't prove that it wasn't dent free once you bought it and that you didn't dent it yourself. In any case it is worth trying to contact the seller.

As for the dent itself I had a similar one in a previous bike and I didn't experience any problems but I wasn't riding it that hard and I always kept my mind in it. Did the color came off or is it just the flash reflection?
    Since it's been a couple weeks ago and the sellers reason for selling was he really in need of the money I'm not optimistic about getting my money back but i guess it's worth a phone call.

The longer white strip is the flash but the circle around the dent is not the flash. I believe it is where the seller roughed the paint so the putty would stick. I'm leaning toward not sweating it and ride it as long as I can. Sounds like I shouldn't worry too much about it after doing some research. I bought this bike as an introduction to FS and as an alternate to my XC bike. I guess it sounds like it can still serve that function untill I'm willing to make another investment later down the road.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Everyone "needs" money, but they aint entitle to rip-off people. It's your business, but a contact demanding a refund for his scam is totally warranted.

FWIW I have a much deeper dimple on my 2005 enduro, that's been there since 2006 and have had no issues. my only concern if you keep it, is that some of those old Ellsworth frames have paper thin walls in the non-load bearing areas, but maybe most high end aluminum frames are like that, I don't know?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would probably ride it. I had dented the downtube on my last trail bike from a rock strike. It rode fine but I did keep it in mind and watched it. You could call Ellsworth yourself and ask about a crash replacement front triangle. I recently bought a used, bike shop demo, Intense that developed a crack in the seat tube. I worked through the shop that sold it to me, but in the end Intense sold me a new improved ( extra welded gusset ) front triangle at $475. It beat having to shell out much more for new frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Paris Galanis View Post

I would also ask for my money back. While the frame may function, I would always have it in the back of my mind that the frame may fail and that could limit my riding potential. Personally I wouldn't risk my safety because I didn't want to make someone upset who "needed the money". Not that you need to be an ass about it, but what he did was pretty low.

mtbr member
    Wouldn't what the seller did be fraud? He appears to have made a deliberate attempt to disguise a flaw and then made absolutely no attempt to mention it on the sale description.
    As others have mentioned already, I'd want my money back too.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is very simple, the delta bravo that scammed you knows he would not have gotten much interest if any had he revealed the true condition and he had a deliberate plan to hide it and lie. You are entitled to everything back and to post the name of the jackass...Chumps like that guy don't necessarily return these kind of calls.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm in a similar situation except I'm considering purchasing a bike that has a dent in it that the seller has been up front about and disclosed.

Most of the posts above seem to sidestep the OP's question "should I be worried?" and focus on the ethical and legal implications.

Yes, I agree what seller did to OP is wrong and OP should get his money back. But, honestly, that ain't happening.

So what should OP do with dented frame? What should I do as regards my potential purchase?

The bike I'm considering is a mid-2000s (think 2006) GF Procaliber. Dent is on downtube and has been described as "dime sized." Attached is a pic.

Also, while we're at it, if anyone could comment on how the GF "Genesis" suspensions on the Procaliber bikes of this era compare to more modern rear suspensions I'd appreciate it. Thinking about upgrading from my softail (a like new Fango with very nice drivetrain, fork, wheelset) to a full squish but only want to do so if I'm truly getting a significant upgrade.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How much can other people advise on being worried, looking at a dent on the forum?

I have ridden a dented frame for 8 years now, ridden it hard. I don't do crazy things on the bike, but even if it cracks in half it's unlikely to injure me badly, I'd probably have a greater injury risk from collapsing a front wheel on a landing.

From your picture I can't see the damage, it's hard to see, it looks like a sticker was peeled off the frame and some scratches.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    How much can other people advise on being worried, looking at a dent on the forum?
    I have no idea how one goes about assessing the seriousness of a dent whether online or in person. I'm doing my best to learn but still far from a bike expert.

I thought perhaps by seeing at size and location of dent in pic people might be able to offer an opinion.

I have ridden a dented frame for 8 years now, ridden it hard. I don't do crazy things on the bike, but even if it cracks in half it's unlikely to injure me badly, I'd probably have a greater injury risk from collapsing a front wheel on a landing.
    This is somewhat reassuring.

From your picture I can't see the damage, it's hard to see, it looks like a sticker was peeled off the frame and some scratches.
    Sorry that the pic is not clearer but it's not my pic and the bike is not in my possession and thus I cannot provide a better one.

Dent was covered in duct tape (why?) which has since been removed. Dent is in center of tape goo (look at bottom of "y" in "Gary").

It is on underside of downtube. It appears to be the size of a dime.

I'm relatively light (165-ish with clothes and hydration pack) and don't plan on doing anything too crazy (XC and AM type riding) if that helps.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It looks high enough on the down tube to avoid rock strikes, maybe just put the duct tape over it again? I don't know if that weakens the entire downtube, probably not. The high load areas are near the head tube and BB. If it helps, there is a Frame builder forum that could offer an opinion.