mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?

I have been clipped in to clip-less since 1998.... I love them (time ATAC on my old HT and now EB smartys on my new Full Sus) I live in the mid west mostly flatish trails. I feel very comfortable when i am clipped in and not so confident when not clipped in. I have never (since like 1998) fell or crashed because i could not get unclipped, it is like second nature... Still, as i plan my first trip to a ski/bike park in actual MOUNTAINS..... I am wondering if i should don a pair for platforms and some Five Tens??? thoughts?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Re: Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?

Stay with what your comfortable with. If your experienced and have no issues getting unclipped... Don't change something so drastic prior to a trip to unfamiliar terrain... Now, if you enjoy your trip to the mountains, and want to change experiment on more familiar terrain... Its a different feeling, I switched last year but it definitely took a little while before I could just drop my foot on the right spot of the pedal with flats... Now its easier but in the beginning I found myself fidgeting moving my foot around the pedal to find a spot that was comfortable.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    I switch to flats and 510's for downhill and park. Although I'm a long proponent of clipless with wider platforms, IMHO I think they're dangerous for that kind of riding.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I've been riding clipless for DH for years. South Mountain, Northstar, Boulder NV, all sorts of places in between. You can ride and jump on them just fine. If that's what you are comfortable with, keep em. I wouldn't go to these places with skinny XC pedals, but plenty of regular guys and pros use clipless in the gnarliest terrain. The only place I wouldn't want them is for riding high skinnies in the PacNW or straight BMX dirt jumping.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stick with what you're using. I'm in much the same boat, live in a fairly flat area and have been riding Time pedals since the late 90's. When I lived in a place with mountains when I went to university I kept riding clipless pedals on pretty much everything, even the WC DH courses at Bromont and Ste. Anne. Never had any issues and the pedals saved my butt on more than a few occasions. The only time I went to flats was when I was riding a bunch of skinnies and learning to dirt jump.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Stick with the clipless pedals. Flats have quite a learning curve, especially if you are used to clipless (rode clipless for 10 years before going to flats and it took a while to learn)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am thinking of getting some time ATAC Zs or some CB Mallet 2 or 3.... I am leaning toward the Zs because I think i like them better... but that might be because i rode them for 12 years the egg beaters i have ridden for one!!! maybe i will pick up a set of $40-$60 platforms and some five tens to have on hand.... the shoes will not be cheap but i am sure i can find a use for some bad ass looking shoes if not for MTB....

thanks for all the responses... you kind of solidified what i was thinking....
    any suggestions on a more DH/FR platform? Keep in mind i am going to a ski park but that by no means means i will be hitting 30 foot drops or jumping every jump....
    i have a feeling GIANT rotors and upgraded brakes (I have juicy 3s) would be the most useful upgrade to my bike for the trip.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Get your flats and go do some rides. First you may feel like your flying off the pedals when you unweight on the up stroke. Then you might feel like you bouncing or slipping off in place. So dedicate a few rides to getti.g use to them.

You say you ride flattish trails. So when it comes to pure gravity fed ski slopes its a whole different story. Flats may be a good safety measure. But give yourself a chance by getting used to them.

I ride flats cuz im.more comfortable. I like to drift alot in turns on purpose and on accident. Throwing my foot when it cut loose by accident to save it. Or intentionally leading with my heel into a switchback; using like a pivot point in the air, to whip the rear, while seated motocross style. You can also ride the outside ridges of your shoes; on inside high pedal through turns. It allows me to flare my inside knee high for balance. Just my funky style i guess.

usually cranky
    are you planning on jumping around a bunch or staying mostly planted?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am hoping to get comfortable enough to get some nice air.... but I am not an experienced jumper... i will probably error on the side of caution

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I ride flats cuz im.more comfortable. I like to drift alot in turns on purpose and on accident. Throwing my foot when it cut loose by accident to save it. Or intentionally leading with my heel into a switchback; using like a pivot point in the air, to whip the rear, while seated motocross style. You can also ride the outside ridges of your shoes; on inside high pedal through turns. It allows me to flare my inside knee high for balance. Just my funky style i guess.[/QUOTE]

you are way more experienced DH rider and if what you said is English it sounds really cool!!!! I do not think my brain will be considering the outside ridges of my shoes and will be more concerned with the fact that if i fall i could die!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?

Meld

Kmigikgkkkikhiiuhikiiikkihhug

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    what bike are you riding? you should also have the right tires. what tires do you plann on running. tires are crucial for confidence downhill. somthing larger than normal up front with big cornering knobs. and in the rear also, somthing with bite for braking and proper cornering knobs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have a gt force 2.0 with kenda nevegals 2.3 up front and 2.1 on the rear

mtbr member
    depends. if you always ride XC, AM is a way different. if you have flats, id take them as a backup.

maybe start riding flats until the big day
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    that'll work. just remember to drop your post 2-3 inches atleast from normal xc riding position. i never rode nevegals, they have mixed reviews. some praise them some say the front can be washy. if your in the market for a new tire anytime soon, i would suggest a maxxis minion dhf single ply 2.5, (850g) as a new front for your trip, the tire will still work for trail purposes, but shines downhill. then throw that nev 2.3 on the rear. if you google best cornering mtb tires its the overwhelming most popular. have fun. i never been to a bike park but theres a few dh tracks near my house i can connect to my loop. but i will looking into what bigbear has to offer very soon here

The maxxis dhf 2.5 single runs narrow but tall. Actual width is only 2.35 maybe.... But tall and work under really low tire pressure. Even with tubes. For a tire that looks and acts like a little motocross tire it rolls good. Faster than the nevegal is the word..
    Last edited by akiracornell; 05-20-2013 at 08:18 AM.

trail addict
    On one hand, I'd say stick with what you are comfortable on. Changing up your pedals AND going into unfamiliar territory is too many changes at once.

On the other hand, if you have a chance to try flats in advance, you may find that you can cope with them and they may help your confidence.

I committed to clipless the same year I started visiting bike parks and I forced myself to stick with it and never really had any problems with them. Lately, though, I went back to flats for bike parks and haven't had any trouble adapting.

Keep in mind that you may have a hard time keeping your speed up so you may find yourself needing to pedal where others are coasting (or pumping) through terrain. Pedaling flats on chunky terrain is the most likely place to slip off. Try to always look ahead (resist the urge to look down at your front tire) and whether on clipless or flats you will be more aware of what is coming.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My Experience: MK2 Nomad running clipless at mountain creek bike park... (1st time)

Ran clipped just because It is currently what i am familiar with, first couple runs were sketchy.. Had no clue just how fast things got going down.. Wrecked a few times becaause I was trying to keep up with two experienced friends.

advice, get some pads.. run what you are familiar with.. and prepare to be sore. hands and feet were killing me trying to hold on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    that'll work. just remember to drop your post 2-3 inches atleast from normal xc riding position. i never rode nevegals, they have mixed reviews. some praise them some say the front can be washy.
    My new bike came stock with Nevegal 2.1 front and rear...and I can say that I would not be comfortable with running that tire on the front in a lift served setting. Who knows, maybe the 2.3 has more bite. But after several rides on my local XC and AM trails I am ready to swap the front tire to a Hans Dampf or something. VERY washy in corners at XC speed never mind higher AM speeds -- I have had to hold back because I just don't trust it to lock in when cornering. Hope that helps, OP.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Nevegals of all sizes are washy. There isn't enough blank space between the center knobs and the sized lugs. This makes them grip ok at moderate angles but get really washy on anything serious.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffijers View Post
    advice, get some pads.. run what you are familiar with.. and prepare to be sore. hands and feet were killing me trying to hold on.
    This.. you are definitely going to want pads, I think most parks rent them and it is worth it not to skimp on protection. I remember my first time at Diablo (now Mountain Creek) I couldn't believe how bad my hands were killing me after the first run.

Most importantly remember to have fun
    "The sound of a car door opening in front of you is similar to the sound of a gun being cocked."

Helmetless Crasher
    I recently did the same thing, ie took my XC azz DHing.

I ran my CB EB's doing DH. At times I wished for flats so that drifting the switch-backs would be easier/safer to extend a leg and dab. Some of the trails were seriously exposed with major consequences if you happened to go off. Flats would have been confidence inspiring.

Everybody else on the trip was rockin flats.

I'd pick up a cheap pair and get used to them.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    now i am exited and scared!!! I will def get pads i would like to buy some but will probly end up renting, oh and a Full Face Helmet!! I am leaning toward mallet pedals, I would like time z but mallets are available localy.... I am also now thinking of up grading at least my front tire (will 2.5 fit in a RS revelation??) thanks again for all the tips. if only local bike shop guys were as helpfull.... they look at my GT as if i bought it at walmart...it seems, where i live, if it is not Trek it is not a bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    cb mallets are still clipless. im still suggestin an inexpensive pair of flats with metal studs or screws you can find. these are perfect for the price no fancy frills just straight to the point, with sticky screws. Bicycle Wellgo MG1 MG 1 Magnesium Pedals Pair Silver 376G MTB BMX DH Platform | eBay
    and maybe some skate shoes on sale or somthin with thick soles like Osiris or somthin
    and there should be plenty of room in rev being an Am trail fork. a minion dhf 2.5 isnt that big. maybe 2.35 in actual size, or you could do a trail king 2.4 which is big. but confidence inspiring in the ruff stuff. but should still clear a rev easily. another option is the cedric gracia all condition am tire. it has pretty massive side knobs. I have one I havnt ridden yet but it looks bad ass. theres also schwalbes big betty. I loaded a pic of each
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?-dhf.jpg  

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?-rq_ust_tread.jpg  

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?-schwalbe_big_betty_big.jpg  

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?-1295866670624-.jpg  

Should I go to Platform peddals for Ski Park trip?-highlight_cgallconditionam235a.jpg