Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Should I get that Jamis XAM II

So I'm really itching to buy that tricked out Jamis on Jenson for 2200 thoiugh from my understanding the reviews have been somewhat dismal but with all the high end components I'm thinking **** if I bought it and hated the frame I could strip it down and probably get 500 for the just the frame and still making out somewhat.. Does anyone have any experience with this frame hows the suspension design? Should I do it? HELP! LOL..

Hot Pursuit
    Yes, buy it!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    If you have the money, I say WHY THE HELL NOT!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Proceed with caution, my buddy just snapped the chainstay of his jamis off a small drop. I actually liked the bike until after he did it I found out it's been happening on a lot of parkers and xam's.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    Proceed with caution, my buddy just snapped the chainstay of his jamis off a small drop. I actually liked the bike until after he did it I found out it's been happening on a lot of parkers and xam's.
    I haven't heard about it happening on any XAMs. All of the problems with the chain and seatstays are on the 2008 and some 2009 Parkers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a RM slayer sxc, with similar head and seat angles, its a beast by all means and somewhat of a good climber, but the thing is if its any worse at climbing then my slayer I'll be disappointed and will the frame. I hope not though :\ ..

usually cranky
    do it. i have a xam and the suspension design is good but the dhx air is poo. but overall a great bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    do it. i have a xam and the suspension design is good but the dhx air is poo. but overall a great bike.

Ya theres a lot of mixed reviews on the dhx I personally have never been on one. Did u have it on your's and if so do u still or have u replaced it with something different?

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Are you actually in the market for a new all mountain bike? Or did you just see this deal and want to step up to the plate and get it? If you are in the market with a budget around $2k, I can give you a ton of links to similar bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    Are you actually in the market for a new all mountain bike? Or did you just see this deal and want to step up to the plate and get it? If you are in the market with a budget around $2k, I can give you a ton of links to similar bikes.

Both I mean my slayer is mean as hell with upgrades, but I get tired of things fast. My first thought was to buy some sort of minilink frame and build it up slowly like the banshee rune, but this jamis has a lot of bling and I figured if I hate the frame design I could just sell it to recoup some of the money for a new frame..

No longer a hardtailkid.
    There aren't that many links to post that are on the same level as that bike for the price. Haha. Honestly, just go for it. Spend an hour, maybe two, looking for and reading threads (not just on MTBR) about people having problems with this bike. Reply back to this with a short list of things people have said they don't like about the bike, and another list of things people do like about it. That should help you.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by dogo
    Ya theres a lot of mixed reviews on the dhx I personally have never been on one. Did u have it on your's and if so do u still or have u replaced it with something different?
    unfortunatly yeah. i have a 4.0, there just no good way to tune it so you get proper sag and use all of the travel. i wouldnt let it disaude you from buying it but dont think the bike sucks just because of a sub par shock.

Hot Pursuit
    So what's a good shock replacement do people recommend on the XAM II?

Beer Swilling Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    I haven't heard about it happening on any XAMs. All of the problems with the chain and seatstays are on the 2008 and some 2009 Parkers.
    It was an XAM so now you have heard, and if you do some research you'll hear many others with the same thing happening. Like I said, proceed with caution. It's a shame, Jamis is a brand that could be so much better but cracked frames are kind of what they're known for anymore.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missoularider
    It was an XAM so now you have heard, and if you do some research you'll hear many others with the same thing happening. Like I said, proceed with caution.
    Show me a '09 with a broke stay, research boy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    they did beef up the chain stays in 09, i do ride one too, i weigh 220 and do ride pretty hard ....

things i dont like--- hammerschmit,36 talas,wheelset,
    things i do like------it handles great,looks sweet,rides smooth,shifts great,
    things i would like to change-- trade hs for a xtr single ring,trade 36 talas for 36 float or van,dhx air for a coil,and the avid cr's for some hopes with 203mm rotors....

things i have changed---- carbon monkeylite dh bars,tires,pedals,stem (70mm),and few things just for looks.....

over all im happy with it,i played with the shock and fork setups for months before i got it where i like it,but it is soft but rides very plush, it does pedal bob some if you stand and crank on it.....i do have the dhx 5.0 shock..

i rode a buddys blur built up realy nice 160 fork i9 wheels xt brakes,and the xam rides better,handels better more snapy,feels lighter in the woods while bombing down the trails..
    so we weighted both bikes on the same scale the same day at his shop
    blur--29.2
    xam--34.5

any questions just ask i had mine for 5 months now and like it, but now im looking at the nomad c for a winter build...
    Last edited by bhigdon101; 11-28-2010 at 08:21 AM.

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    things i dont like--- hammerschmit,36 talas,wheelset
    Heh,heh... That's like 80% of the cost of the bike and the major selling features...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    they did beef up the chain stays in 09, i do ride one too, i weigh 220 and do ride pretty hard ....

things i dont like--- hammerschmit,36 talas,wheelset,
    things i do like------it handles great,looks sweet,rides smooth,shifts great,
    things i would like to change-- trade hs for a xtr single ring,trade 36 talas for 36 float or van,dhx air for a coil,and the avid cr's for some hopes with 203mm rotors....

things i have changed---- carbon monkeylite dh bars,tires,pedals,stem (70mm),and few things just for looks.....

over all im happy with it,i played with the shock and fork setups for months before i got it where i like it,but it is soft but rides very plush, it does pedal bob some if you stand and crank on it.....i do have the dhx 5.0 shock..

i rode a buddys blur built up realy nice 160 fork i9 wheels xt brakes,and the xam rides better,handels better more snapy,feels lighter in the woods while bombing down the trails..
    so we weighted both bikes on the same scale the same day at his shop
    blur--29.2
    xam--34.5

any questions just ask i had mine for 5 months now and like it, but now im looking at the nomad c for a winter build...

Why dont u like the HS? Your saying your XAM was a all around better bike then the blur, or just on the DH? Because I'd find it hard to believe the blur to be less of a climber then the jamis due to the weight, and suspension design. If I do buy it the bike the wheels are the first thing going I'll be throwing on my ex500 hope pro 2 wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Why dont u like the HS?

it has to much drag on it in the "overdrive" 36 tooth gear.. not as smooth as a 2x9 when pedaling,but it was cool to change gears while pedaling and it was instant engagement..and i broke the plastic cable holder under the crank,that is not a good place to a plastic part,but sram warrantied it at no cost to me,and they sent me the whole backing plate with the 3 paws and screws with the cable holder attached to it...

Riiiiiide...
    I have 3 friends who have that bike, with the HS. Not really sure i can notice any drag, and if its there its probably a veeery small amount, and possibly because of the noise and feel of the HS you perceive it to be a lot more.
    One thing to keep in mind if switching over to a single ring on that bike is that you will have quite a bit more 'bob' because the chainline will be quite a bit higher than with the HS, that is, quite a bit higher than the main pivot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Your saying your XAM was a all around better bike then the blur, or just on the DH? Because I'd find it hard to believe the blur to be less of a climber then the jamis due to the weight, and suspension design.

not all around better,it just seemed to handle faster and felt lighter in the woods, the blur climbes better,a little, it just seems not as nimble...
    no one that rides by xam can belive it weighs 34.5 pounds.
    it could be all in the set up too.... the blur was not setup for me,and was just a test ride on a buddys bike...i also rode a buddys cannondale f5 but you cant compair a hardtail to a full sup... xc to a am bike... so i didnt meantion that bike... the blur is the only bike i can realy compair too as of now....i have rode serveral bikes in parking lots but you cant realy tell that much about the handling,just fit and if you like the way it feels....

this is just my thoughts on the bike.. love mine but looking at nomad for next bike...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyCro
    I have 3 friends who have that bike, with the HS. Not really sure i can notice any drag, and if its there its probably a veeery small amount, and possibly because of the noise and feel of the HS you perceive it to be a lot more.
    One thing to keep in mind if switching over to a single ring on that bike is that you will have quite a bit more 'bob' because the chainline will be quite a bit higher than with the HS, that is, quite a bit higher than the main pivot.

i did not think about that..... good point....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If I do buy it the bike the wheels are the first thing going I'll be throwing on my ex500 hope pro 2 wheels.
    i am still running the factory wheelset, had to true them once after about a month of riding, have not touched them sence, but i do fell them flex under me, im running 2.4 big bettys and the rear will rub the chain stays in the cuves if im hammering on it or off little drops in a curve...

i hope it is the wheels flexing and not the rear triangle!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    If I were doing it all over again, I would get the xam. Its a wicked bike for sure, especially for how its spec'd out.
    As far as the chainstay snapping goes- its mostly parkers, the 08s.(hell mine even broke, but i have the stronger '10 stay now) Lots of FS bikes have chainstays snap on occasion, as with any product there is a percentage of failures. Unfortunately with the internet, word spreads and makes it out like its every bike when its realistically only a small number. Having said that, even if it does break, jamis has a 5 year warranty on frames so even if you do snap it, you get a new one cost free. Their customer service is really awesome.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Just give me the Hammerschmidt if you don't like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast