mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Should I buy this bike?

Alright here is the deal. I have been riding for a few years now and am looking to get a good highly versatile bike. My buddies at the LBS know a guy selling this bike. He is asking 1750 for it. I dont know squat about parts and components and what is quality and what isn't so i need some honest help. I am looking for something that will climb well and handle some modest downhills well. I am 6'3' and 180 lbs so I am concerned about the size of the frame, but the bike shop guys (who I trust a lot) say he is my height. I am looking for any and all thoughts. I want to buy one bike that will last for a long time. This frame is used and I assume has some minor scratches and what not on it. This is his posting online that they showed me. I will be test riding it hopefully next week or so. Any help would be appreciated.

nate

Frame size: L--
    Shifters: Shimano XT Rapid Fire triggers--
    Deraillers: Shimano XT--
    Brakes: Avid Juicy Seven Disks--
    Cranks: Shimano LX--
    Fork: Fox Float RLC 130 mm--
    Rear Shock: 5th Element Coil--
    Wheel Set: DT Swiss FR 6.1--
    Tires: WTB Mot Raptor 2.4--
    Seat: WTB Lazer--
    Stem: Salsa--
    Bars: Easton Monkey Lite Carbon--
    Seat Post: Thompson--

The Heckler is a do it all bike. This bike is used and has some scratches, the wheels have a few dings but the bike is in good condition other wise. This bike retailed at $3500. I also have a set of Mavic 717 wheels w/ XT hubs that are set up to go on this bike. If these wheels are used with lighter tires the weight of the bike will decrease significantly. This bike handles great and will add confidence to any rider. It will handle anything you point it at.

Gravity's Gone
    Sounds like an ok deal if it's in good shape. The problem with Santa Cruz is they don't use model years, so it's hard to tell how old it is. That being said, my brother has a Heckler and he loves it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the owner says its and 05 if that matters

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That Salsa stem may be affected by the recent recall.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    what was wrong with them. will I be able to take advantage of the recall even though I would not be the original owner?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/importa...l-stem-recall/
    Talk to the person selling it and your friends at the LBS to see if it is affected.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

drinky man

I just slammed two beers on an empty stomach in preparation for 2.75 pint night.
    after careful consideration, I would say ride the bike, with you at 6-3 a L may be small for you. plus not being the OG owner, that means a NaNa on factory warranty.
    if you can swing it, get a new bike. that way you do have full support of the shop if something were to go..awry.
    sounds like a good deal though. but if you can swing it, buy new.
    I like hecklers a ton BTW.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Do you think I should just get a new heckler with the D am build kit? it is just 2099. That is just barely above my max price. i can then just upgrade the stuff over time. I really need some definitive help here. I dont know much about this and want to make the right move. thats a lot of money.
    nate

EDR
    I think his bike is way overpriced at $1800 and around 4 years old. The build is fine, although I think a longer travel adjustable fork would be better on that bike for when it's time to go down.

Let's see....$200 more for a brand new Heckler? Nice new wheels? No scratches/dents/nicks/dings? '09 model? Full warranty?. New bike smell? Sounds like a no brainer to me if it has good fork on that D kit. Even if it doesn't you could upgrade at the right shop for very little.

Honestly I think a nice used Heckler from '05 would sell around $1k to $1200 bucks max, but there is always that high flyer and right now I see very little on ebay to compare. Plus local sales can sometimes be much higher depending on where you live.

wait...what?
    pics?

mtbr member
    For the price I'd go new.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

these are the pics

these are the only pics available. It is his craigslist ad.

http://springfield.craigslist.org/bik/1042162664.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

the fork on a new heckler is...

the fork on the new heckler D am build kit is the Recon 351. That seems to get really good reviews on this site. Is that a good adjustable shock or would I want to upgrade. And what would be a better upgrade?
    nate

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I'd say about 1400 or maybe even less would be fair for that bike if its in good shape

i like bike
    Feb 2009
    I lived in SPFLD...
    regardless.... 1750 is nuts for that... you can find new for cheaper with better components.... I just saw a full XTR group with AVID 7's carbon levers, dt swiss hubs, king headset for 1500 BRANDNEW....
    can't remember the website.. brand was commencal?!?... regardless buy new

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

I got it for a test ride.

So they let me take the bike indefinitely to do some test riding on it. This will be my first riding on a FS What are some things I should look for to tell me if this bike is in good condition. Also since I am considering getting a new one what are some indicators that this is either the right size frame or that I should get an XL. I have to admit that this bike feels sweet. It seems to be in good shape except for several flat spots on the wheels (It comes with a set of mavic to swap out if I want) and some dirt which is very common here. Thanks so far for the help. I am leaning toward the new as you all have said but could not pass up the chance to test ride it. This will give me a great FREE opportunity to learn some about fancy bikes and if I should invest in one and which one to get. Any and all advice is desperately needed and greatly appreciated.
    nate

i like bike
    Feb 2009

Check these out!

1630 Dollars:
    2008 IronHorse MKIII comp... with Sram x7/x9, Rock Shox Recon, Fox Float... brandnew... way better deal in the end. ..... realcycles.com

1255 Dollars:
    2008 Kona Boss... XT shadow and Deore, Marz DJ, Fox DHX air, Hayes Strokers...
    way way better deal... found this and I might buy it ..... realcycles.com

752 Dollars:
    2008 Commencal Combi S... Sram X7/X5/Deore, Rock Shox Dart 2, Rock Shox Bar 2.1...ridiculous deal... very low end componentry... but for 752... wow .... realcycles.com

1299 Dollars:
    2007 Jamis Diablo 1.0.... sram x7/saint, Manitou swinger 4, manitou stance...
    again...a better deal... jensonusa.com

1599 Dollars:
    2007 Jamis Dakar Xam 2.0 Bike... XT/XTR, Fox DHX air, Fox Talas 32...
    INSANE... awesome components and great deal... jensonusa.com

All of these bikes are below the cost of the one you looked at, are brandnew, and in some cases have better components...

On fitting and feel....

The suspensions should feel plush and tight... not bouncy, not hard, etc etc
    If the frame is Large and your within 3 inches of 5'9"... good..
    if the frame is Xlarge and your within 3 inches of 6'2"... good...

and, the fit can be slightly altered with the right seatpost and the right stem

Make sure everything spins freely and the bike shifts very smoothly...
    Look for cracks and signs of heavy stress around key point in the frame and components

But... buy a new bike... for 1750 you can get something WAY nicer and NEW
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Im gonna have to agree with everyone else. It looks and sounds like a nice bike,but way too pricey. I wish I had found a deal like the one on that Jamis XAM 2.0 !!! I paid more for then that for my 1.0!! And by the way I love my XAM,its been great to me so far for the past year.

mtbr member
    Do NOT Buy an IronHorse MKIII
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    eatdrinkride nailed it. too much for a 4 year old Heckler and spend a little more and go new.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I would keep an eye on chainlove.com. They had amazing deals on Commencal 5.5. In ay case it seems a little steep for a 4 year old Heckler. If nothing else I would pay the 200 extra and get it new.

mtbr member
    $1750 for a used Heckler with a fifth element shock???? That's highway robbery. You can find way better deals on ebay or buy new.
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

U sayin' Bolt ?
    I dont think chainlove is getting anymore 08 commencal 5.5s in large or xl
    The iron horse mkiii is a sweet bike and a good deal at rscycle.com ,,
    But DO NOT buy an 07 as it has a design flaw on the rear triangle and do not anticipate a warranty as iron horse is out of business..
    I talked a guy down to $750 for a 05 SC blur frame with king headset and race face cranks, but I still did not want it as I discovered it may be older than he said as it had a fox AVA rear shock, which was crappy and discontinued in 04 ..
    I think 05 was the last year the SC made their frames in the USA, but the 09s ones have carbon links i think =)
    1750 is too much ... I bet you can get him to go to 1400 =)

semantic blockage
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtail Rider
    Do NOT Buy an IronHorse MKIII
    ???
    speaking from experience 'er what?

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by omegamandb
    ???
    speaking from experience 'er what?
    The company just went belly up. No more factory parts likely. And MkIII's have a history of breaking the rear triangle.
    Bike good, work bad.