mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Short Ride & Big Fun in Pennsylvania…but what bike?

[SIZE=3]I have been on this site for years, reading comments and this is the first time I registered and made a post. As is often said, I am amazed by the passion shared by mountain bikers all over the globe and I am one of them.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I am looking for a bike for my frequent use and am open to any options or creations from those of you who may have been down this path in the past. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]First of all a description of my use. I ride two and three times a week here in Pennsylvania, usually in the morning before work and before the kiddo’s get to crawling around. My goal is to enjoy the thrill of the ride, have fun whereby I keep the legs moving and maintain some reasonable level of fitness. So when the fun and thrill of the ride is gone, so goes the desire to get out and ride. Spinning is a necessary evil in order to get to enjoyable part. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Second: a few details of my most frequent ride. Time is limited to 45 minutes up to 1.5 hours. I can pedal less than one mile from my home and be at the trail head. Right out of the gate I have a hill to climb ranging from gradual to steep. It is about a one mile grind to the top where it levels out and has plenty of little jumps and banks to rip around on. The entire length of the trail is relatively smooth, some portions get a little rooty but no rock gardens to contend with. From there I blast around the edge of the plateau for a half hour or so before I pick the best downhill route to the bottom and can take as long as a 20 minutes if I stretch it out to get on the asphalt and head home. I enjoy hitting jumps and switchbacks and always enjoy the downhill speed. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Third: A description of my riding. Self proclaimed gym class hero. I will never be seen as great mountain biker but then again I usually ride alone and don’t need to impress anyone. My less than stellar jumps and speed feed my own ego keep a smile on my face. I am 5’10” and a fit 200lbs with a 32 inch inseam that always has me jumping between sizes on test rides. As of late, I have two bikes that are in decent condition but on opposite ends of the spectrum. The first is a medium FS Cannondale Free-ride, I think it is a 1997 model and an older Gary Fisher HT, Large. They both were collecting dust with friends who passed them along for me to use and to return when I see fit.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Fourth: So what Bike to buy: I’ll start with what I think would work best. I feel a 2x10 hard tail 29er slacked out would be great, particularly in the snowy months. The Trek Stache felt the best so far but if I could find a bike with a 130 or 140mm fork and a bit more slack I suspect the fun factor may really peak. I am not opposed to either a FS or even considering the 650b models. I have read all I can about the new Explosif and DB Mason but no luck finding anything like that to test ride around my area. Perhaps putting longer fork on used bike will fit the bill. I have no experience building a bike but I would not rule it out. Maybe a custom shop could build something up. The single front ring sounds great but who am I fooling, I need the granny gear. My limited experience with 29er’s has shown the big wheels difficult to pass up.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Financially, I would like to stay under $2,200 under 2k would be ideal and that number has me wondering if it is worth it for a hard tail. I am not picky as far as aluminum, steel or other. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]In advance, thank you for any reply, advice or questions. I appreciate the help.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    TLDR

Get an airborne hobgoblin....

Google it check it out youll like it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Fuglio,
    My error on the length. Thanks for the tip on the airborn. Seems like a good value. I was looking for a little more AM vs XC.

mtbr member
    The hob goblin is a very capeable bike. Check out the vids on the website

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    The hob goblin is a very capeable bike. Check out the vids on the website
    Replaceable chainstays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Replaceable chainstays?
    Everythings replaceable even you geephroh.

The hobgob is fun duarable and affordable.

I saw he was asking about long travel hardtails. They are kinda nicje bikes thpugh.. maybe not.

So seconed recomendation is the kona honzo

Its a little less versitle only does a single ring up front. But its steel and not to pricy. Dont get an aluminium hard tail unless your a weight weenie.

But first recomendation for a mountain biker that hasen bought a bike in many years and has 2 grnd to spend is the Airborne Hobgoblin

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What part of PA? Also you might want to check the AM hardtail thread. Should be a gold mine of info on good longer travel capable HTs. The big thing will be overall head angle chainstay length, and a HT designed for a longer fork. My Cannondale Caffeine XC hard tail would handle terribly with any fork over 120mm or even 100mm for example. So be sure to get one that is designed for it.

Depending on the frame and geo you might not necessarily need a long travel HT. The Original Woods bike is pretty aggro. Made in PA too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
    Fuglio,
    My error on the length. Thanks for the tip on the airborn. Seems like a good value. I was looking for a little more AM vs XC.
    My brother in law is selling his 29er hard tail. Great for what your talking about with your trails that you descriped. What part of pa always looking for new people to ride with

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Energetic. Thanks for the reply. South west PA. I have been checking out the Pittsburgh craigslist and used bikes are all over. The idea of upgrading a late model with a longer fork is great. I just need to figure out what bike frame would work best for this route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Fuglio. The Honzo would be perfect but I need that granny ring. If somthing like that is out there and under 2k let me know.
    Perhaps I should consider looking at some type of conversion.
    The Mason is looking better as it can accommodate an inner ring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I cannot comment via personal experience but the Canfield 29r bikes may fit the bill quite well. Other than that, steel or carbon if you go with a HT.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Canfields are nice but a full build is over $2,500 and would like to avoid the build. Thanks for the reply