mtbr member

Shimano XTR trail SPD or CB Candy 3 clipless pedals?

I'm looking to try switching from riding flats to clipless and just trying to decide out of the XTR trail SPD with the small cage or the CrankBrothers Candy 3.

Anyone got and feedback on either?. I have heard negative feedback in reviews and from friends regarding the quality of bearings in the Candy but I like the Candy as its a fair bit lighter than most clipless pedals.

Anyone else care to share their opinion?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If your new to clipless, the shimano might be an easier transition. Ive recently switched to crank brothers for additional float, and they took a little bit of getting used to. My knees are loving the crank bro's but they still frustrate me from time to time. The shimano spd design is just really user friendly with a hassle free, positive engagement, and adjustable tension. The only reasons im still riding crank bros is because of the float and the weight. Shimano's are just heavy regardless if you get entry level, or XTR...there is not much different between any of the models. With that said...you might wanna go with one of the lower models to see if they are for you. Ive actually heard more positive reviews on the 520/540/545/785 xt/etc. Although the redesigned XTRs seem to be stronger.

Your gonna hear negative reviews about any pedal ever made, so i wouldnt base your decision strictly off that. Maybe a local rider can let you test ride their pedals? Ive got tons of extra spd cleats if you want a pair to try. If it matters, you can save a bit of weight off the shimanos buy using a titanium spindle. Lastly...the shimano cleats will last longer.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, a mate has got a spare set of Candy3 pedals so will give them a go first I think.