mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Shimano XT/XTR Plus VS. SRAM X9/XO Type 2 Rear Derailleur

So I'm sold on the new clutch style rear derailleur's from Shimano and SRAM but I would like to know which one is better. I'm sure for some it will come down to which shifters they like better but I think both are good so I'm more interested in which clutch works the best to reduce chain slap, noise and dropped chains. Anyone have experience with both? Or any experience with the SRAM Type2, (the XTR Plus has been around for a while and gets rave reviews)

So Round 1: Shimano XT/XTR Plus VS. SRAM X9/XO Type 2, ding ding

GAME ON!
    pretty much a case of personal preference. it's not that one is necessarily better than the other. i think x0/xtr have always been neck and neck with the difference usually being what folks choose to run. that doesn't really help, but most people tend to lean towards one or the other. usually makes the decision easier. what i can add, however, is that there definitely is not $100 worth of difference between the x0 and x9 derailleur.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

usually cranky
    ^+1. not the answer you are looking for but it really comes down to weather you like the feel of sram or shimano. not a ton of difference in the clutch mechanism.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just evaluated this and went through and ordered a drivetrain for a new bike. I went with XTR over XO because the XTR was cheaper and lighter (but I got an XX cassette and XO crank for lightness and gearing and cost reasons).

Custom Wheelbuilder
    I have never been to impressed with the XTR lineup. They really don't seem to be as durable as XT.
    I would say go with the XO though. I really like how it has a crisp and clean feel, which the Shimano seems to be lacking in.
    Definitely just personal preference though.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks guys, I totally get the SRAM VS Shimano thing and do agree that it boils down to personal preference. I'm more concerned with how well the clutch works on the rear mech. The XTR Plus reviews seem to be really good noting significant noise reduction and and no more dropped chains. The SRAM Type 2 is newer so not as many reviews and what I do read it doesn't seem like noise reduction is as good, somewhat leaving me to believe that the SRAM clutch may not put as much force on the chain as XT/XTR.

I'm in the position to switch to 10 speed and one of these will be on my new drive chain, I just want to make the right choice before I drop the cash.

GAME ON!
    is sound really the deciding factor vs durability, cost, preference, etc? it's such an arbitrary measurement. chainstay protectors play a factor. chainstay location plays a factor. chain length, cage length, etc. i never hear my chain and i have a regular derailleur.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Custom Wheelbuilder
    Well, I haven't done any work on the SRAM clutch system, but I was impressed with the one on the XTR. It seems to work consistently and predictably, and pulling them apart for maintenance is pretty straight forward.
    I am looking forward to getting to work on the new SRAM ones at some point soon.
    Check out www.zencyclery.com for fully customizable, handbuilt wheels.

www.facebook.com/zencyclerywheels

Stand back
    I'm wondering if the SRAM clutch will really have as much affect on chainslap noise. From my experience, historically Shimano rear derailleurs had more chainslap under the chainstay, while SRAM allows the chain to move around more above the chainstay, resulting in front derailleur noise. My thinking is the clutch mechanism will do more to eliminate that lower chainslap, in which case there's more to gain on Shimano drivetrains with that than on SRAM.

I'm running a new non-clutch XT rear derailleur and a single ring guide tho, so I don't see the clutch on either brand as really benefitting my set up anyway.
    Last edited by dbabuser; 07-31-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Mr. Knowitall
    It is as mentioned a matter of preference first. Then there are a couple of differences in the designs.

+for shadow plus:
    It's tucked in under the cassette. Makin it less prone to getting caught up and bending

+for Type 2:
    Cage lock makes it easier to take wheel on and off!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So I spoke to my LBS that has been carrying both for a few weeks now. There opinion was that the clutch force was pretty much equal for the Shimano Plus and SRAM Type 2 so it sounds like it really does come down to personal preference on drive train. I don't think you can go wrong either way and I'm stoked on the new clutch tech so we will see how it performs once I get everything.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    any thoughts on difference as far as derailer hanger attachment, and the cost of repair replacement? I have a buddy who swore off sram due to this.. but I don't know the model or the specifics..

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Shimano XT/XTR Plus VS. SRAM X9/XO Type 2 Rear Derailleur

XTR will go on my next build. Currently just have the brakes. The warranty is good and I can get replacements shipped/received in 2 days. Sram can do in store replacement if the shop has it stocked. If your shop has a good relationship with a rep they can usually get parts sent out quick enough, seems like a business week, otherwise YMMV. Only a 2 year warranty with Sram. XTR has three years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Re: Shimano XT/XTR Plus VS. SRAM X9/XO Type 2 Rear Derailleur

I have an XTR plus myself. It's been great for the couple hundred miles I've put on it so far. Being that you can adjust the clutch tension and replace it if necessary was a big deciding factor in choosing Shimano over Sram.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by badbietz View Post
    So I spoke to my LBS that has been carrying both for a few weeks now. There opinion was that the clutch force was pretty much equal for the Shimano Plus and SRAM Type 2 so it sounds like it really does come down to personal preference on drive train. I don't think you can go wrong either way and I'm stoked on the new clutch tech so we will see how it performs once I get everything.
    Having ridden latest XT and X01, they're both good, the differences are in application mainly. My personal choice (all mountain riding) is SRAM, for the design of the levers and for the wonderfully geared 1X11 which eliminates a front derailer. This means less weight, one less mechanism to worry about , no dropped chains plus a zen cockpit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    cant comment on sram but the XT is a pretty awesome setup. only main difference between that and the XTR is some carbon parts and a way more expensive price tag. imo its not worth the upgrade to XTR unless your an XC racing weight weenie

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I prefer Shimano for the shifter. I've had a X0 shifter X9 clutch derailleur and currently use the Saint shifter with a Zee derailleur. I prefer the Saint/Zee setup. The reason is with the Shimano I can shift through more gears in either direction with each push of the lever. The other thing I like about the Shimano is you can shift the small lever in either direction so when I'm standing or in an more aggressive position I don't have to use my thumb to shift.