mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Shimano XT drivetrain chain recommendations

I'm currently running an 11 speed XT mountain set up with a wolftooth components chainring. The chain needs to be replaced and I was curious what everyone has found success with. Obviously something Shimano would work fine, but I've also heard good things about KMC or even some folks using a SRAM chain with Shimano components.

I'm not super concerned about weight, mostly just something that works well, holds up for awhile, and is easy enough to service/take on and off. What do you suggest?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I went with the XTR HG901 chain since it is pretty light, cheap, and stout. I didn't want to over pay for a few grams with a KMC.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I am also running XTR HG901 on all 4 bikes with a mix of race face sixc, xtr, and xt crankset with e-thirteen cassettes.
    '18 SC Tallboy CC_Wife
    '17 Giant Anthem Adv_Kid
    '17 Ibis Mojo 3
    '17 SC Bronson CC

mtbr member
    Kmc X11.93, I snag them off eBay for around $21. Have run them on both Sram and Shimano drive trains, never had a problem.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Running sram chains due to price. Cheaper than KMC and since lpw weight means severe loss of life span on chains that dont get great miles due to being a clyde, they made sense. Plus the use of the power link (same exact thing KMC has). Way easier to deal with a damaged chain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

Barely in control
    I use the HG-600, I think that's the 105 11 speed road chain. It's like $16, plus a $3 SRAM quick link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Sram chains... always

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've always run XTR.

mtbr member
    Hg901

I run the wolftooth 32 chainring with the xt 11-42 eleven speed casette and the wolf 49tooth kit. Can get two seasons if not more out of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sram generally makes you pay extra for their "crosstep" mushroom pins that come standard on all shimano chains. Shimano sucked a long long time ago before these came on the scene. Haven't had a link fail in probably something like 10 years now, all on Shimano chains of that variety. Now all their chains come this way. I usually just look for a deal on XT or sometimes bite the bullet and get XTR. Good chains.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've run SRAM + KMC on my bike which has XT shifter/derailleur, Sunrace cassette and I can't even remember the brand of the narrow-wide chainring. Both work perfectly.

I've seem some claims that SRAM chains have a bit more flex and are less likely to drop when backpedalling, though personally I've not had a big issue with either.

mtbr member
    I'm on the M8000 group as well and I buy SRAM PC-1130 (in the GX group) but listed in many places as for the Rival (road group). I was a KMC fan for life up until I went to 11-speed. I have now found that SRAM 11 is better for me and has less issues dropping from the largest cog during backpedaling. It works well on the 4 different bikes I have, better than the KMX 11.93 that came on one of them. I do think they allow a bit of flex but I'm getting decent life out of them and they are cheap, $17.99 on eBay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    KMC SL wins the prize for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I also like that the shimano chains come packed in lube, and not grease that you have to remove and is generally nasty. They run great for quite a while on this stuff (the shimano ones).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.