mtbr member

shimano slx FD-M660 front derailleur adjusting

Hi i have a shimano slx FD-M660 front derailleur and i just fitted a bash guard so i now have a double, i was adjusting it to make the H as far down as possible so it wont think there is a third ring but and cant work out witch is witch, i'm terrible at adjusting gears! There is a bolt more above another one and then there is a H L next to each other and it doesn't indicate witch one is witch! Can anyone help to tell me what bolt is the H, the lower or the one above!? Thanks

Mechainc
    oops hold on
    Last edited by teaniner; 12-21-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: logged into the wrong profile
    Winter is always here, stay Fat!

I have red hair
    sorry, i was logged into a co-workers account by accident.

to adjust a front derailleur, put your bike in the easiest possible gear (big cog and small chainring) and then turn one of the limit screws in until the derailleur starts to move towards the outer chainring. If you get past about 3 full turns and the derailleur hasn't moved yet, you're turning the wrong one. turn the it in until the derailleur starts rubbing on the chain, then back it off a quarter turn at a time until it doesn't rub anymore. then do the exact opposite (small cog, big chainring, other limit screw) for the other gear. Sometimes it helps to just shift up into the large chainring (while in the smallest rear cog) and while it's in that gear, try to make the chain fall off (by pushing on the shifter paddle like you're going to shift). if the derailleur still moves while it's in that gear, the limit needs to be turned in.

H means high limit (outer chainring) and L means low limit (inner chainring).

most likely, the outer limit screw (furthest from the seat-tube) is for the outer chainring, and vice-versa. sometimes you can tell just by looking at the bottom of the limit screws and see which one is pressing up against the tab of the derailleur while it's in the smaller chainring

hope that helped, PM me if it didn't
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

I have red hair
    I stand corrected, I just looked at pics of that derailleur, and most of them look like the inner limit screw is the High limit.
    "I don't believe in brakes, all they do is slow you down"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGreen View Post
    I stand corrected, I just looked at pics of that derailleur, and most of them look like the inner limit screw is the High limit.
    Okay thanks, so the one closest to the frame? Thanks for the help, i know this thread sound like a bit of a dumb question! I will go try and put the inner one closest to the frame tightened right down to see if that stops the derailleur from wanting to click twice.

mtbr member
    I've made it so i click twice to get into second gear, that seems to be the only way to do it instead of getting a double shifter or derailleur. Thanks for the help!