Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

shimano shadow plus without chain guide

Hi there,first of all sorry not to use the search function but my browser on the phone doesn't allow to type onde the search box.Is it possible to run a Specialized Enduro with a Shadow Plus SLX derailleur without using a chain device? Basically running all kinds of terrain with some jumping and downhill tracks.

mtbr member
    No one? :P

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Hi there,first of all sorry not to use the search function but my browser on the phone doesn't allow to type onde the search box.Is it possible to run a Specialized Enduro with a Shadow Plus SLX derailleur without using a chain device? Basically running all kinds of terrain with some jumping and downhill tracks.
    I'd suggest no, unless you are using a XX1 chainring.

AM Forum
    SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed

DH forum
    Sram XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Absolutely not unless using XX1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    A friend of mine just built up a Specialized Stumpy EVO with a shadow plus derailleur and an XCX-ST E-Type retention device. He says he has had no issues so far

e*thirteen components

mtbr member
    yes, it is possible.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    No reason it is not possible - but you may drop your chain in rougher terrain (same as any other dérailleur)

usually cranky
    with an unramped ring maybe. but id still expect some drops. the least id feel comfortable with is a ss ring and a xcx type guide. id feel even better with a trs+ or similar and at the end of the day i think an extra 50 grams is worth ultimate chain security.

nero
    Go for it. I think you will be impressed with the clutch deraileurs. I have yet to drop a chain although my home trails are pretty buff. Another plus is all your going to hears is your wheels on the ground.

mtbr member
    Tried it, doesn't work. Chain came off front ring at the first rough bit of terrain, and then kept coming off any time it was rough or there were drops.

mtbr member
    Are you running a single ring up front? If, so then other's comments make sense about worring about dropped chains. Probably need some kind of retention device unless going XX1.

If you're running a double front ring set up then I would think the front derailleur and the clutch rear derailleur would be sufficient to avoid chain drops (maybe not 100% but I think it would be rare).

I'm planning on using this exact set up on my next bike with a bash guard and may add a chain drop prevention device inside the granny ring (Ronnie Ring) if I have issues.

Disclaimer: I have rarely ever dropped a chain on my 5 Spot with a triple ring set up and no retention device whatsoever (regular rear derailleur), so I may be a bit insensitive to this problem.

usually cranky
    ^funny how all of us assummed a 1x setup.

mtbr member
    I was looking into a potential SRAM type 2 , single ring, and xcx setup for my hard tail. I'm sure they're fine but I got a little spooked by some of the reviewers that experienced failures

I was surprised to see that happen as I have become a SRAM fan over the years...I am actually astonished at what my x9 ders have lived through

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I tried the SRAM X9 type 2 and ended up sending it back. I experienced all of the negatives that everyone else has mentioned. Forget about riding without a chain retention device, I tried it. Shifting would bind up in the higher gears, etc. etc.
    I now run my original X9 (non type 2) with a single niner ring in front with bash guard and the n-gear jump stop on the inside. Does not look as cool as an exposed ring but it is cheap and I have never ever dropped a chain. And I ride like an *******.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Are you running a single ring up front? If, so then other's comments make sense about worring about dropped chains. Probably need some kind of retention device unless going XX1.

If you're running a double front ring set up then I would think the front derailleur and the clutch rear derailleur would be sufficient to avoid chain drops (maybe not 100% but I think it would be rare).

I'm planning on using this exact set up on my next bike with a bash guard and may add a chain drop prevention device inside the granny ring (Ronnie Ring) if I have issues.

Disclaimer: I have rarely ever dropped a chain on my 5 Spot with a triple ring set up and no retention device whatsoever (regular rear derailleur), so I may be a bit insensitive to this problem.
    I also run a 2x10 setup with no chain retention device other than the Shadow Plus and all is fine. And I ride aggressive on down hills hitting every jump I can.
    Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Wow, I have never heard of needing a chain retention device when running a front derailleur. But I ride xc. I can imagine DH/AM type stuff might need it. My experience has been strictly from a 1x10 setup, and I can say with first hand authority that the type 2 will not stay on a 1x setup without a bash or a guide or something. Even on flowy Ohio XC trails. happy trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    With a double up front, and a derailleur, no problem, unless you often pedal backwards (i.e. before turns). I run this on my Stumpy, no bashguard either.

With a single ring / 1x10 - No.

mtbr member
    i ran my fuel 2X10 with rear shiumano clutch DR for a while over teach terrain with very little chain issues. my only drops where the very rare granny drops. and these were mostly me shifting at ethe wrong time when I was already tired.

you will be surprise by how well they works... i put a bionic c-2 (spelling?) chain tangler and this along with the clucth DR have made my chain drops disappear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nerofinis View Post
    Go for it. I think you will be impressed with the clutch deraileurs. I have yet to drop a chain although my home trails are pretty buff. Another plus is all your going to hears is your wheels on the ground.

Clutch derailleur are good but they are not 100% fool proof.
    Here is a pic of my XTR clutch rear derailleur. Check out how loose the chain is. To this date I have dropped the chain three times so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shimano shadow plus without chain guide-chainloose.jpg  

usually cranky
    is the clutch adjusted properly? i ask because a while back vital had a slideshow on clutch vs regular and pro dhers on a wc course didnt even have that much movement.

btw, rokform rules!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    For the lat year my set up is a RaceFace SixC 2x10 with a XTR Shadow Plus and it works perfectly. Haven't dropped a chain yet and my riding is mostly freerideish or aggressive trail, drops, jumps, and high speed really chunky trails.

If you're dropping chains you have a problem with your set up. That said, when racing DH I will always use a guide. While the chance of dropping a chain is remote, better to be safe than sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    Here is a pic of my XTR clutch rear derailleur. Check out how loose the chain is. To this date I have dropped the chain three times so far.
    Your chain is too loose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    Off topic:How close is your front wheel to bottoming out on your frame/headtube in that picture???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    is the clutch adjusted properly? i ask because a while back vital had a slideshow on clutch vs regular and pro dhers on a wc course didnt even have that much movement.

btw, rokform rules!
    I installed it straight out of the box with the factory default setting. I never realized that the chain got that loose until I saw the photo. It works 99.9% of the time so I didn't bother to mess with the adjustment. If it falls off again I'll play with the adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Off topic:How close is your front wheel to bottoming out on your frame/headtube in that picture???
    That section of the trail is right after a high speed drop. That's pretty much bottom out. I only have 90mm of travel. The wheel will not hit the headtube.

mtbr member
    This is one of the best components I've ever put on my bike: Bionicon C-guide V.02

I ride a HT and roll some rough terrain with no chain drops.

I rode a FS 29er in Moab this year with a clutch derailleur with no chain-guide and the chain slap was far more noticeable than on my HT. Note: I had zero dropped chains on this with this set-up.

Often, dropped chains are a symptom of cross-shifting or shifting at inopportune moments.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast