Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
    It will be really minimal 165 to 175 is a slight change 170 to 175 is almost nothing. I have 175 XT on my 575 (trail bike) and Saint 170 on my play bike but I switched them over before I got the frame for my play bike and rode saints on my 575, it looked goofy but if anything the pedaling improved (especially because I get fewer rock strikes on techie climbs
    Thanks FC, really appreciate it!. My pedals may last a bit longer as well
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by focotacoma View Post
    It will be really minimal 165 to 175 is a slight change 170 to 175 is almost nothing. I have 175 XT on my 575 (trail bike) and Saint 170 on my play bike but I switched them over before I got the frame for my play bike and rode saints on my 575, it looked goofy but if anything the pedaling improved (especially because I get fewer rock strikes on techie climbs
    I don't agree with this at all. 165 to 175 is a huge change. Your feet are almost an inch closer together when in attack position. The difference in leverage is very noticeable. I can tell the difference between 172.5 and 175. 170 may be worth it if you are getting a lot of pedal strikes but you will notice the difference.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Giggity View Post
    I don't agree with this at all. 165 to 175 is a huge change. Your feet are almost an inch closer together when in attack position. The difference in leverage is very noticeable. I can tell the difference between 172.5 and 175. 170 may be worth it if you are getting a lot of pedal strikes but you will notice the difference.
    Sorry I should have rephrased that.....165-175 is a much more noticeable change than 170-175 for me on the SB66. I do have pretty strong legs (so I don't really notice leverage differences). In terms of attack position I think it's very personal a like my feet together (having my feet farther apart feels awkward) especially on gnarly stuff. It all depends on your balance and riding stance. I ride slightly towards the back of the ball of my foot (i ride platforms typically), foot position is a bit different if you ride small surface clip less pedals (like most spd pedals (i.e. xtr)). However the OP uses mallets so I think that his foot position is closer to what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've got a roadbike with powercranks for training, i made them really short ,140mm. i think now i'd love to have cranks nearly that short for dh, pedals wouldn't hit on anything, go with lower gearing drop a couple teeth off the chainring, for leverage(it's the same thing) and you can spin them way faster.

mtbr member

Saints on sale at Jenson USA

For anyone looking for Saint cranks with a granny ring...Jenson has them on sale for $299. The listing for the cranks is M810.

I just received mine and they actually are M810-2 with 22 / 36 rings and a bash guard in 175mm arm length. Planning to pair these with a 10 speed rear and Blackspire 26/36 rings.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    For anyone looking for Saint cranks with a granny ring...Jenson has them on sale for $299. The listing for the cranks is M810.

I just received mine and they actually are M810-2 with 22 / 36 rings and a bash guard in 175mm arm length. Planning to pair these with a 10 speed rear and Blackspire 26/36 rings.
    Nice, Lee. I got mine (810-2's) thru Blueskycycling for only $239.98 a month ago. Ditched the bash and stock rings for my e-13 Turbocharger bash and 36/24 Blackspire rings as well (So MUCH better than Shimano rings) as they are much stronger, last MUCH longer and keeps the chain on way better when not using a chain device and front der. like I am. The chain would bounce off the stock rings way too easily for me when descending any tech/rough trails at speed.

Where ya riding this weekend? Let's ride! Sandy was excellente last night!

Jon
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Mine weren't tapped but I tapped them myself and added a few spacers and run a small ring. The holes are the right size for the tap.
    modifier, I was runing into the same issue on my girlfrind's scythe which has 810-1 crank and I wanted to add 22T. tap the 2 top hole not an issue but how did you do the bottom two??
    Also can you remember what size of spacer did you use?

here is mine:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Saint cranks overkill for trail/AM riding?-imag0430.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Mistery solved if someone interested....

All 4 hole easily cuttable size of tap : M8x0.75 can be find on fleabay or machine shops

you will need longer bolt as well as spacer /I was using audi/vw tdi exhaust manifold washer
    as they were off the shelf . fit perfectly for me and it's stainles steel

I can not upload pics some reason will try later

thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3