Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Check out this XT crankarm from an older thread here. They got killed by shoe rub of all things.

Wow. You don't ride much do ya?
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    Saints are great for AM. I noticed an increase in stiffness coming from RF Atlas cranks. The newer, even lighter versions should be better again.
    Thx! Yes, the new Saint and even Zee cranks looks pretty solid for sure, but only in single ring set-up. If wanting double, then it's last years Saints (FC-M810-1).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    I ended up with Saint's after bending an XT arm with a pedal strike up at Post Canyon. I noticed an increase in stiffness with the Saints and did not notice the extra half pound on the bike. The weight is at the best possible spot on the bike and would rather be running them with flat pedals. I would rather bend a pedal spindle than a crank arm.

BTW, Shimano did honor the 2 year warranty on the XT's with out any issues. They sent me a new set of cranks that I just installed on my new Chilcotin. However, if I had a second pair of Saints, I would not hesitate to use them on the new bike.
    Thx Bubba! Would you run Saints instead of XT if you had another set on your new "Chili" as well?

Edit...just read your post above, which was different than in my e-mail that I originally read. So, got my answer.

But, why prefer flats with those cranks? I am a Mallet whore, so clipped in for me.
    Last edited by jgusta; 04-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I've had a few sets of the SLX M665 cranks and/or crank arms (the beefed up axle with steel pedal inserts). Nice cranks.

I put a set of Saints on my Chilcotin, and love them. They are stiff as hell. Stiffer than SLX? Can't really fairly say, since I didn't have SLX on the Chili.

FWIW, comparing the Saint crank arms to the M665 crank arms, and including the axle end adjustment cap, but no bolts, no rings, etc, the Saints were right at 1/4 pound heavier. SLX were 637g, Saints were 753. For 116 grams, unless I'm building a weight weenie bike, I'll take the Saints any day of the week.
    Thanks Recoil, much appreciate the weights as well since hard to find weight for just the arms and since I will be putting different rings/bash on than standard crankset set-up. Are the weights with BB as well or not? BB's about 100g's, right? If that is the case (not included in above weight) then looking at 1042g for Saints (double+bash) and 926g for SLX 665. Not too concerned about weight since I only want to run SLX or Saint at this point, but would optimally want AM cranks <1kilo if possible. But if Saints are that much stiffer without hindering much for long climbs up, then I am all over that
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    Thx Bubba! Would you run Saints instead of XT if you had another set on your new "Chili" as well?

Edit...just read your post above, which was different than in my e-mail that I originally read. So, got my answer.

But, why prefer flats with those cranks? I am a Mallet whore, so clipped in for me.
    I would prefer a the stronger crank (Saints) with flat pedals due to the amount of energy that can be transmitted with a pedal strike. Flat pedals are quite a bit wider than the Speedplay Frogs I used to ride.

I am using Point 1 Podiums and they have a big surface area/connection to the crank arm. When I bent my XT cranks, the Point 1 pedal was not damaged. If this ever happens again, I am hoping the Saint cranks will be stronger than the Podium's pedal spindle.

Edit: If you want to loose some weight on the Saint bash guard, try out a BBG. They are local, inexpensive and work great. If it gets chewed up they only cost $12.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I would prefer a the stronger crank (Saints) with flat pedals due to the amount of energy that can be transmitted with a pedal strike. Flat pedals are quite a bit wider than the Speedplay Frogs I used to ride.

I am using Point 1 Podiums and they have a big surface area/connection to the crank arm. When I bent my XT cranks, the Point 1 pedal was not damaged. If this ever happens again, I am hoping the Saint cranks will be stronger than the Podium's pedal spindle.

Edit: If you want to loose some weight on the Saint bash guard, try out a BBG. They are local, inexpensive and work great. If it gets chewed up they only cost $12.
    Gotcha. That says a lot about the strength of that pedal spindle.

Will check out the BBG, thanks, but also have an E-13 Turbocharger that is only 87g's (much lighter than the SLX bash and Saint bash as well).

Let's ride sometime. I am home sick with flu bug today (compliments of the 2-yr old), but will be back rollin' soon. Sandy has been great the past couple of weekends even though it's been raining off/on during the week.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Thanks Recoil, much appreciate the weights as well since hard to find weight for just the arms and since I will be putting different rings/bash on than standard crankset set-up. Are the weights with BB as well or not? BB's about 100g's, right? If that is the case (not included in above weight) then looking at 1042g for Saints (double+bash) and 926g for SLX 665. Not too concerned about weight since I only want to run SLX or Saint at this point, but would optimally want AM cranks <1kilo if possible. But if Saints are that much stiffer without hindering much for long climbs up, then I am all over that
    Who's Recoil? That a GIJoe figure?

Those weights are without a bottom bracket. I've no idea what a Shimano bb weighs though.

When you hold the Saints in your hands though, you can tell they are just going to be stiffer and bombproof. They are just burly. I run them on my DH bike so I knew what abuse they could handle. I also run flat pedals, and agree with Bubba13 above with the pedal strike issue.

HTH...
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Who's Recoil? That a GIJoe figure?

Those weights are without a bottom bracket. I've no idea what a Shimano bb weighs though.

When you hold the Saints in your hands though, you can tell they are just going to be stiffer and bombproof. They are just burly. I run them on my DH bike so I knew what abuse they could handle. I also run flat pedals, and agree with Bubba13 above with the pedal strike issue.

HTH...
    Thx, sorry about the name screw-up, another mtbr dude on a Chilcotin as well that I confused you with
    Ride On!

mtbr member

Saint crankarm compatibility?

Will these work with two rings + bash or only single ring + bash compatible? Plan/hope to run them as double ring set-up of course.
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Saint M810-1 Crankarm Set 1 w/BB

Thx.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nope, those are the ones for single ring use. The granny bolt holes aren't tapped. I'm using those currently.

You need the M810-2 version if you want to run 2 rings.

With the new Saint announced and up on Shimano's website, and the old specs gone, the old stuff might start getting blown out pretty soon. No idea though, but worth thinking about.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    You need to get the 810-2 from what I remember (can't look at my bike right now but mine are the single ring). The way the 2nd ring is set up on these cranks you on use on part chainring bolt pair (just the female end (threads on outside)) which threads directly into the back of the spider arms. These male threaded ports on the spider are just on the 810-2 arms so as to save more weight on the 810-1.

Shimano Saint Chainset Double M810-2 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Shimano Saint FC-M810-2 Crankset

Pedalier vtt - Shimano - Saint FC M810 170mm 22x36 9 vitesses BB 68/73mm - Go1Bike
    Last edited by focotacoma; 04-30-2012 at 08:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Shimano Saint Chainset Double FC M810-2 36/22T 170mm New | eBay

Just a note....I didn't check the above links for bb width (however this last ebay seller one is cheap and is the right width)

The last link in the previous post is super cheap (don't know about the seller/site) but hel if you order that might pick up some cheap cheap pads for you brakes as well!!!!!

mtbr member
    I have had both older and new style Saint cranks on bikes, loved them but the Bottom Bracket in my opinion is where the quality is. I sold the DH bike and went with an SLX 660 2x9 on my Firebird. I added a King BB and the crank came to life. I'm 240lbs and it's doing fine as far as stiffness goes. The weight savings and performance of a quality BB is why I'm staying with SLX. The new Saint did look awesome on my Highline. I'd go SLX 665 and King BB. Syncline will tear up any crank if you smack a rock the wrong way, might as well bash up an SLX

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    I have had both older and new style Saint cranks on bikes, loved them but the Bottom Bracket in my opinion is where the quality is. I sold the DH bike and went with an SLX 660 2x9 on my Firebird. I added a King BB and the crank came to life. I'm 240lbs and it's doing fine as far as stiffness goes. The weight savings and performance of a quality BB is why I'm staying with SLX. The new Saint did look awesome on my Highline. I'd go SLX 665 and King BB. Syncline will tear up any crank if you smack a rock the wrong way, might as well bash up an SLX
    Just to let you know the difference in weight between what you are proposing and the full saint set up is 130g approximately .25 lbs

and will cost about $400

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    Thanks HT and all. Sounds like we like to ride similar stuff at same locales, so appreciate the feedback. Didn't know a different BB could affect the quality of the ride so much. Always thought some just last longer than others. On my 660 SLX, I ran the XT BB and able to get smooth rotation for at least a year (ridden all year round in wet conditions at times) so was happy with that.

I am starting to re-think my crank choice, even though it is just a crank. Was going to buy the Saint 810 crankarms afterall and use my own bash/rings ($207 w/shipping at 20% off today at Masherz). But, since they can't be ran double, it's a no go. Also found the Saint 810-2 double set for only $240 shipped, but only in 170mm and I have been using 175mm length for all the pedalling I do for many of years. So, it looks like the SLX 665 set for $110+shipping and can always put in a King or Saint BB in down the road.

So yes, all the older Shimano stuff is blowing out pretty cheap right now and want to grab a set in my size while I can.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Will these work with two rings + bash or only single ring + bash compatible? Plan/hope to run them as double ring set-up of course.
    Universal Cycles -- Shimano Saint M810-1 Crankarm Set 1 w/BB

Thx.
    From what I remember, this is what I ordered from Universal and it came with the crank tapped for the double. It came with a full bolt set for both rings and a Saint BB. I know it says -1 on the part number, but it states Mountain Double in the description. You can always return it if it is not tapped for the granny...

I did check my order history, but cannot find the receipt for this crank.

Getting together for a ride would be great!

mtbr member
    Weird, pretty sure this is what I have also, but I DON'T think my granny ring tabs are tapped.

I'll check when I get home tonight.

mtbr member
    From what I remember, this is what I ordered from Universal and it came with the crank tapped for the double. It came with a full bolt set for both rings and a Saint BB. I know it says -1 on the part number, but it states Mountain Double in the description. You can always return it if it is not tapped for the granny...

I did check my order history, but cannot find the receipt for this crank.

Getting together for a ride would be great!
    Yep, Vic at Universal said they have "granny" holes so should work for double, but when I called Shimano to confirm they said that set is for single + bash only and would have to buy the whole 810-2 crankset w/rings/bash instead. Are you running the 810-1 arms with two rings on your set-up? Regardless, I was going to order the Saints yesterday for $207 shipped, but opted out due to possible non-double ring compatibility and didn't want to pay the extra dough for the whole Saint double set. So, I just ordered a SLX 665 set for $110 (sale ended last night at Blueskycycling). Will upgrade to Saint BB or maybe Chris King down the road and see if that adds some performance to to SLX set.

PM me if you want to ride sometime Bubba. I usually head out solo when I do, but always down to ride with someone if I can.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Puff puff give!!!!

Edit: posted in response to the crack pipe comment BELOW me. No idea how this post got in front.
    Last edited by rscecil007; 05-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Weird, pretty sure this is what I have also, but I DON'T think my granny ring tabs are tapped.

rscecil...you are CORRECT! I need to put the crack pipe down.

There are holes but they would need to have a raised inside portion and a tapped hole to mount a granny. Sorry for any confusion this may have caused. Pictures of my -1 crank set set up 1x.

Good thing you ordered the SLX Jgusta.

Edit: U-cycles just informed me what "mountain double" for the -1 cranks refers to. Middle and outer ring, no granny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shimano Saint cranks overkill for trail/AM riding?-006.jpg  

Shimano Saint cranks overkill for trail/AM riding?-007.jpg  

Shimano Saint cranks overkill for trail/AM riding?-008.jpg  

Last edited by bubba13; 05-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    I have Saint cranks on all of my bikes (Blur TRc, Knolly Delirium, Knolly Podium) - they simply work!!!

mtbr member

I run my Saint cranks as a single ring set up.

mtbr member

Crank length change?

So, starting to have buyer's remorse after I bought the SLX 665 to replace my haggered 660 set. Installed and rode tonight and didn't notice any difference in stiffness at all and wishing I bought the Saint afterall. Was going to get the Saint 810-1 crankarms, but decided not at last minute due to non-double ring compatibility. I can get a Saint double set for $240 new, but only in 170mm length. I have been running 175's for about 12yrs and curious is going shorter to 170 going to affect my pedalling all that much or pretty minimal if at all?
    Thx.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So, starting to have buyer's remorse after I bought the SLX 665 to replace my haggered 660 set. Installed and rode tonight and didn't notice any difference in stiffness at all and wishing I bought the Saint afterall. Was going to get the Saint 810-1 crankarms, but decided not at last minute due to non-double ring compatibility. I can get a Saint double set for $240 new, but only in 170mm length. I have been running 175's for about 12yrs and curious is going shorter to 170 going to affect my pedalling all that much or pretty minimal if at all?
    Thx.
    It will be really minimal 165 to 175 is a slight change 170 to 175 is almost nothing. I have 175 XT on my 575 (trail bike) and Saint 170 on my play bike but I switched them over before I got the frame for my play bike and rode saints on my 575, it looked goofy but if anything the pedaling improved (especially because I get fewer rock strikes on techie climbs

mtbr member

Mine weren't tapped but I tapped them myself and added a few spacers and run a small ring. The holes are the right size for the tap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast