Novato trail fugitive

Shimano Hone vs. SLX

So here's my dilema. I've got a buddy selling me a near new slx crankset (22-32-bash) with bottom bracket for 90 bucks. I wanted a new crank for my dj bike as my raceface crank creaks like non other, but then i got to thinking, what crank should i put on my all mountain rig ('07 enduro expert, rs lyrics, etc..)? I love my hone cranks but they are older and i've heard great things about slx so should i slap the hones on the dj and save the slx for the enduro? anyone with experience with both the hone and slx crankset? Thanks
    Push yourself, you can rest when you're dead

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by stompeinator
    So here's my dilema. I've got a buddy selling me a near new slx crankset (22-32-bash) with bottom bracket for 90 bucks. I wanted a new crank for my dj bike as my raceface crank creaks like non other, but then i got to thinking, what crank should i put on my all mountain rig ('07 enduro expert, rs lyrics, etc..)? I love my hone cranks but they are older and i've heard great things about slx so should i slap the hones on the dj and save the slx for the enduro? anyone with experience with both the hone and slx crankset? Thanks
    My last bike had hone cranks and they were outstanding.... almost took them off before selling because I liked them so much. The new (used) bike had some whoooped truvativ cranks... now it has SLX and I am liking them just about as much as the hones. I found that the pinch bolts need to be checked every once in a while, but no big deal.

I might be going for SLX on the hardtail when I replace things.... I saw the price had come down a little!
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

usually cranky
    either one would be great. personally i like the look f the hones a bit better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had both, other than looks they are virtually identical, the SLX replaced the Hone in Shimano's lineup. They are strong enough for DH and light enough for AM.

Picture Unrelated
    I love buying stuff as much as the next guy, but just so you know:

Cranks almost never creak.

Tighten or replace the BB, that should take care of it.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?