mtbr member
    Jun 2013

shimano components. best for intermediate xc: weight vs durability

Hi,

I was curious about shimano components: as you go up in their hierarchy do they just get lighter or more durable? I go on intermediate trails. I'm not concerned about component weight as it is small compared to the frame.

So I am looking at various bikes priced form 1.5k-3k which have components consisting of alivio, deore, slx, xt.

If I get a bike with xt components will it last a lot longer than slx or deore?

If I get a bike with xt components and i need to replace them in time, can i do so with cheaper deore components? I mean rear slx derailleur can be replaced by rear deore derailleur?

Also, although i'm looking at getting a new bike my current bike has a tourney rear derailleur that's broken. I called a bike shop and said if i'm just interested in durability should i replace it with a deore, and they said the deore won't be any tougher, so if you're interested in durability you might as well just replace it with another tourney.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The components get lighter, more durable and faster/more positive engagement all the way to XT. XTR is lighter than XT and is just as durable but you pay quite a bit more to get it.

As long as your shifter is compatible you can replace it with any of the rear ders

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    it is to my understanding and experience that, once you get to about deore you have hit a reliability marker. shimano trickles down there technology. xtr is hands down the lightest. materials and styling changes as price goes up.

I work partime at a bike shop. But I do think your bike shop is wrong. tourney has stamped steel parts and ends up on a lot of walmart bikes. prone to rusting and weaker pivot points without the rigidity of the cast aluminum. deore and up is kind of their bike shop quality of line. alivio is not bad, the most similar to deore but a step down. tourney and acera are low quality in my opinion. I would atleast start with alivio. deore is the safest bet for decades of reliability. as you get slx which replaced lx, then xt and xtr styling goes up and weight goes down and price goes up. xtr is where the jump in weight loss is at. especially in cassettes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I run xt shifters, xt shadow rear der, xt cass and saint brakes with ice tech rotors.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'd say if you're looking at bikes that cost $1500 and up, run-don't walk- away from anything that isn't fully spec'd with at least Deore/X7.

I've had Deore components that have held up super well over the years. Yes, you will notice a difference in quality (crispness, accuracy) as you go up to SLX/X9 or XT/X0, but that fancy derailleur will snap off just as quickly from a rock strike no matter what it says on it.

I currently run a mix of X9 and SLX, and couldn't be happier. Only my front derailleur (Deore) is original to the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anything Deore and above is good. I'd try to get a bike with the best frame, fork, and wheels, rather than focusing on just the drivetrain. A bike with XT components will often be better overall than one with Deore components, but not always. Sometimes companies will maximize the drivetrain and skimp on the fork, which sucks since forks are more expensive and not as easy to replace.

mtbr member

RE: shimano components. best for intermediate xc: weight vs durability

^ what he said
    Sent from my SGH-i917R using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The whole parts spec, not just the drivetrain.

Assuming the frame fits properly and has the geometry you need, wheels and suspension will have the biggest affect on how it rides on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    The whole parts spec, not just the drivetrain.

Assuming the frame fits properly and has the geometry you need, wheels and suspension will have the biggest affect on how it rides on the trail.
    what do you think of this?

Ghost AMR Lector 7700 Bicycle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

or this?

Ghost AMR Plus 5900 Bicycle - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

I'd rather get the carbon one, the aluminum one seems heavy
    Last edited by mrmojorising8; 07-16-2013 at 03:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmojorising8 View Post
    Yes the carbon (Lector) is a great deal - Fox suspension plus XT components plus carbon frame for $2800cdn, but keep in mind it's a 5" trail bike. If you want AM travel and geometry this isn't it.

The AMR Plus has 6" travel, including a dropper post, but with aluminum frame and lower spec for $2400cdn so isn't quite as good a deal, but a 28lbs 6" AM bike for $2400 is still a decent weight and value IMO.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

mtbr member
    A cheaper, well adjusted drivetrain will perform better than a bashed up expensive one. Deore is just fine. Replace with XT when/if they wear out. I personally prefer SRAM, except for the XT brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Everything XT and XTR brakes is the way to go.