The Mountain Bike Life

Shimano AM-41 Initial Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Get a set of 5.10 Impacts and call it a day.

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by darkslide18 View Post
    Get a set of 5.10 Impacts and call it a day.
    5.10's dont fit everyone's foot. I have a pair I still use but they are far from comfortable. I wish they would make a wide.
    Whats this line for?

The Mountain Bike Life
    I am also not a fan of the look of the Five Ten shoes either..as well their sole is really tall, negating really any effect of low profile pedals. I have a bunch of friends on them and they always seem to be coming apart.

mtbr member
    Cost of 5:10's is an issue as well, +/- 80 for those and the Shimano is 60...

The Mountain Bike Life
    Would love to know how you like the Teva's...if these did not fall into my lap for such a good price I would have picked up the Teva's.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I like my shimano shoes. Its got a Darth Vader vibe. I also Iike my Tevas. Up next, 5.10s

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Referencing the review: I always seem to see reviewers of 5.10 alternatives state something like "they aren't as sticky, but I like that" (see that a lot with teva reviews as well as this one). I just don't understand that... the sticky sole is the primary reason I went with 5.10's over all others. It just seems weird to try to spin that as a positive.

The Mountain Bike Life
    Sticky rubber is great, but too sticky and it's hard to adjust your foot if you need too. These soles are sticky but not quite as sticky as the Five Ten offerings.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick2cents View Post
    Referencing the review: I always seem to see reviewers of 5.10 alternatives state something like "they aren't as sticky, but I like that" (see that a lot with teva reviews as well as this one). I just don't understand that... the sticky sole is the primary reason I went with 5.10's over all others. It just seems weird to try to spin that as a positive.
    The sticky rubber is pretty much the ONLY reason I ride 5.10's. All of their XC/AM oriented offerings are designed for use with clipless pedals....

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudpuppy View Post
    Would love to know how you like the Teva's...if these did not fall into my lap for such a good price I would have picked up the Teva's.
    I got my Tevas from Amazon. 75 bucks, if I remember correctly. Theyre good. They have a skate shoe feel to them, with its thickly padded lip. Between the two, the Teva do feel like its worth more dollars. Nothing against the Shimmys, I got mine for 25 bucks off eBay new. The Shimmys have taken a licking, and keep coming back for more. My only gripe about them is that the velcro flap likes to stick to the laces. Not too big off a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I've used the Shimano AM41 shoes for about half a year now, and they already show quite some wear and tear..
    The sole is starting to come loose, the thread is really damaged, there's a hole in one shoe (dragged the shoe a couple of feet over the ground during a crash), seams are coming loose.... Crappy quality in my experience..
    Used them 3-4 times a week, in all kinds of weather, for XC and AM riding.

5.10's are way more durable and they really stick to your pedals (feels much safer, even though it hurts my weak knees). Only downside for me is that 5.10's are heavy bulky shoes...

My next pair will be Teva shoes..

The Mountain Bike Life
    Yeah that is some of the feedback I have heard too Qprs, we will see how they take to the rough Island riding....but as I said it looks like some of the knobs are already starting to come off...only been a few rides on them so far.