mtbr member

Shimano 647 question ??

Can anybody tell me if the Shimano 647 without being clipped are good? Are they slippery? Can do some tech trails without being clipped?

I have XTR with Sidi shoes and in some tech trail I always unclipped, my friends don't but I can't and I use clipless pedals since 2005

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    No where near a decent pair of platforms. The cleat fasteners are higher than the platform.

They are great in that you can pedal well immediately after a dab, without having to clip in after. Useful in awkward situations. I can unclip and descend, using them as platforms much better than regular clipless pedals. It very easy to slip off egg beaters.They are also easier on the feet when cruising around town.

Great compromise. The thing is, if Shimano makes them sticky as platforms, how are you going to get out of them? What will happen to the float?

mtbr member
    Not really. With traditional shoes, you will probably slide around. I find the soles on traditional mtb shoes fairly hard. If you had something like the 5.10 shoes with clips, the petals might work. As you know, xtr pedals, traditional shoes, and riding unclipped on technical trails can be really sketchy.

mtbr member
    I was thinking using with these

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfas View Post
    Can anybody tell me if the Shimano 647 without being clipped are good?
    As flat pedals they are rubbish. That cage is primarily there to get smashed into rocks and to provide a bigger target for your feet in those panic out - panic in moments.

It's smaller/lower than the cleat and it's got no grip when wet. That shoe and that pedal will be better than a XTR/sidi simply because there's more area for your feet, but nothing like as good as a proper flat pedal.