Thread: sexy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Wink sexy!

I have been researching and hunting for my first bike and thought i had narrowed it down until a post led me to this sexy bike.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...8komodo1.html#

my other consideration is:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om_trail08.htm

the jamis is such a good looking bike and i love the thought of the 130 mm travel in the forks, but i know that doesn mean a thing unless they are reliable.
    so how good are these forks??

the moto seems to have better overall parts *i think* and could always upgrade the fork later.

which way would i be better off this bike looks sweet though!

Attached Images Attached Images

spec4life???..smh...
    What are you using it for?

The jamis is a dirt jump bike and the other is an XC bike.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i love fast trails and making jumps. been riding motocross for most my life so looking for a little air but not massive hits. maybe rock ledges and some drops

spec4life???..smh...
    Well if you plan to ride trails the jamis is not for you. It is merely for jumping not pedaling up hills or anything.

However if you are want ing to take jumps and ledges the motobecan may not be your bike either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That james is spec'd with real crappy parts.

your gonna get a better overall bike going with bikes direct over anything really

whats the most you can spend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    if i got the moto , i know the forks would eventually have to be upgraded. how would the motobecane do with a nicer fork with 130mm of travel

squish is good
    Get the Jamis. This is the AM forum after all, what do you think were gonna say .

The RST fork is a relative unknown for reliability but the good news is if it breaks you've still got a sweet frame that can handle any number of good forks. I'd be prepared to replace the fork though it is unlikely it would brake any time soon unless your really beating the crap out of it.

The Motobecane is a totally different kind of bike more XC oriented, not a great aggressive trail bike if thats what your looking for.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    well, ha ha, it was around 500, then 560, now at 600. i think 6 is prob about my max, at least till my wife gets a job..

un really just getting started, but want somethin im gonna be able to feel confident on with getting a little air and not breaking the bike in half or forks exploding

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    i was about set to get the motobecane, but watched some vids on youtube and noticed the guys were doin the kinda riding i wanted to, but had these style bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    heres a few links to what i was watching:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCxp64zKEjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1_yThIyhvo

mainly this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33oZS...=related

any advice is welcome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Just to throw a couple more options out there, check out the Banshee Morphine and the Transition Vagrant. They're both a little more money (look for a nice, used one), but it may be worth waiting a little longer to get a frame like one of those. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Jamis, I just think there are better options out there if you're willing to wait and spend a few more bucks. Also, check out the AM hardtail threads here in this forum

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    My experience...

I crashed into a Motobecane going the wrong way on a directional trail. The frame broke in half. My hand still hurts and that was March. Very thin tubing.

The Jamis is more than a DJ bike. It's a good AM / Light FRHT. Why would they make a dedicated DJ bike in an 18" frame? Not a chance...this is a good bike to go ride some trail slower than your XC buddies on their little girley sleds and blast them on the way down the hills. Hit some jumps, take it downtown and launch some stairs. Whatever.

I built one of out of a 2005 frame recently and it handles trail just fine with a Marz 55 on it. The only difference betw. mine and that one is mine has a 1 1/8" HT, 27.2mm seat tube ID, and straight top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have the Motobecane Fantom Trail and beat on it everytime I go to the trails. It has held up very well and the only problem I had was a bent rear wheel after I endo'ed on a rocky downhill section. I got the wheel trued up and the bike is as good as new.

The components work great for me and it has turned out to be a great value. I ride mainly cross-country flat trails, but lately I've been going to some of the advanced stuff. Double black diamond Downhill sections, climbs and the like and it eats it all up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Bonking ... not feelin' well

what about the components on a komono ?

I don't wanna spend that much cash and turn around and have all the parts crap out!

wouldn't even hesitate if the janis had the components of the moto I am really stuck again! help

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    oh yeah meant to ask is there any online places to get the jamis no dealer even close

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    did you end up getting anything yet? i'm also looking at the jamis trying to decide between a couple other bikes.

mbtr member
    the jamis has a much better fork, a higher quality frame, equivalent brakes if the moto has bb5s (doesn't specify), otherwise the moto is better specced. The moto will be lighter (the jamis is a pretty heavy trailbike) but not nearly as confidence inspiring on rougher terrain. The jamis will hold up to rough riding better, it's not a jump bike but a burlier trail bike, it will go uphill fine. The moto is massively better on the road.

As far as value... eh. When you consider the jamis comes professionally assembled from a dealer it's probably the better deal.

Creepy tooth fairy

You have many options

The Jamis is the choice for you for the kind of riding you are interested in. However, there are many other posibilities. Specialized does a All Mountain version of the P bike that would suit you well. When you start to consider used you could do well with something like this. Perhaps you could go with a monster truck rig like this.
    On any clasified here or Craigs you have bargaining power too. Retail is for schmucks and x-mas shoppers. There are tons bikes out there on eBay too. Do you research and hit it.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Hellbelly hit the nail on the head