mtbr member

Set of wheels under 1800 grams but that aren't super narrow?

I'm more of an Aggressive XC trail rider than a true All Mountain rider. I have an Ibis Mojo with a set of WTB Laserdisc Trail Rims on DTswiss 370 hubs. This combo weighs about 1950 grams. I believe the rims alone are 500 grams

I used to run Spinergy wheels that were 23mm wide, they were nice and light and rolled really fast but I was beating the crap out of them and also peeling tires off of the rim (partly due to running 2.4 tires on the thin 23mm rim) The WTB Laserdisc trails are a healthy 27MM wide which is perfect for the type of tires I use.

I've been looking to drop a little weight and the WTB Laserdiscs trails don't roll very fast even with faster rolling tires. The problem is I can't find anything at all thats even fairly light that isn't any wider than like 23mm, thats just unacceptable!

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
    Last edited by Yody; 08-21-2009 at 11:34 AM.

simple
    DT Swiss X1800 would work well for you. I believe the rims are 24mm wide.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    Stan's flow rims. Every other rim around 27mm is 500 grams.

mtbr member
    Doesnt' have to be 27 just not 22/23 etc, I've looked the Flows, they look nice. How about a complete wheel build? Should I keep the DTswiss 370's and just have them laced up with some good spokes and rims?

I was looking at the Mavic Crosstrail ST's but they are 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I talked with Dave at Speed Dream Wheels. My riding is on the agressive trail side. I always have liked the Hadley hubs and he agreed that they would be good and he suggested the Stans Flow Rims also. Apparently very light wide diameter rims with strong aluminum alloy.
    If I get another set these will be the ones I get.
    Good luck,
    Mctigre

mtbr member
    According to the website it looks like the DTswiss 370 hubs weighs:

Front 195 grams

rear 410 grams

mtbr member
    Mavic 719 + hubs of your choice (I'd have hope Pro 2 but it depends on taste).

Rims are 25mm wide, 460g (disc only version) and strong enough for anything short of full DH/Freeride.
    Mine are 18months old and dent free despite several bad landings on bmx tracks.

Otherwise Stan's Flows are lovely rims.

mtbr member
    Well I considered teh Hope II's but I really don't want the noisy deal.

I called Stans and it looks for like about $530 I can get

White ZTR Flow rims, Black spokes, black nipples, and their ZTR hubs

Total weight is roughly 1800 grams and they are plenty wide rims

Sounds like what I'm looking for, I'm a little iffy about their brand hubs but I think its a safe bet?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check out the Easton Havocs close to your target weight. I've been running them on my Mojo through rocky tech trails for over a year now and still straigh,tight. I've seen them for between 400 and 500 on the bay.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went through the same dilemna. I wanted wide but light. What I found was light, wide but prone to damage or not staying true.The last 26" rim I ran was the WTB Laser Trail, a keeper in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just had a set of Arch rims built with supercomp spokes and Dt 240 hubs and they are great. I will go to the Flow rims in the future since I want a wider rim. The wheels are plenty strong for me at 190 lbs with gear and riding agressive Xc. I forgot to add the wheels weigh just over 1600 grms with the axels I went with the RWS.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yody
    I was looking at the Mavic Crosstrail ST's but they are 23mm
    Yeah but they are still sweet

1600ish grams, 20mm compatible, and (thus far) seem pretty strong. I've been riding them for a few months now... everything from trail to DH (up to 7-8 ft drops fairly regularly). I don't weigh very much though...
    Speed has never killed anybody. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you.

www.danwalkerphotovideo.com

Seeeriously easy Livin
    If your willing to throw down some real coin there is the dt swiss 1750 wheelset, 20mm front hub I believe a 10mm x 135 rear hub and dt swiss 5.1 rims. 1750 grams for the whole shebang

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Stan's Flow rim + WTB LaserDisc Lite rear hub and Super duty 20 mm front hub + aluminum nips and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. My set was under 1700 grams and I try hard to beat the piss out of it on my 6" bike. I'm 170 ish lbs and the rims have held up great besides a few dings. Bring on the al. nipple hate but I do loads of stupid things on these wheels and have no issues. Keep the tension where it belongs and it's all good.

The WTB rear hubs seem to be a bit hard on bearings and I'm having a hell of a time trying to track some down, I guess they're a bit weird.... So I just rebuilt the rear with a DT 240 hub. All is well besides me being a lot poorer now.

Northeastern Rider
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    Mavic 719 + hubs of your choice (I'd have hope Pro 2 but it depends on taste).

Rims are 25mm wide, 460g (disc only version) and strong enough for anything short of full DH/Freeride.
    spot on. I used xt 775 hubs and dt 14/15's w/ brass prolocks for about 1870gr. I go 240 and love these wheels. CRC did a great job on them.
    "The original concept of freeriding was that there was no set course, goals or rules to abide by. "
    Mountain Riders

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I know you wanted to be under 1800, but if you liked the Spinergys why not consider the Xyclone Enduros? It's 1840 according to the manufacturer and has a 26mm rim. They are also bombproof and in my opinion look amazing. Can pick 'em up cheap on eBay, too.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Crossmax SX - 21mm internal width, UST, 1775g

Sun Ringle Charger (what I run) - also 21mm internal width, ~1700g, cheaper than the Mavics. They are machine built and need to be trued and spoke tension checked when new, though. At first I didn't do that and they went out of true fast; after truing and applying medium strength Loctite in the spoke/nipple threads, they've stayed true for ~30 rides so far and don't show any signs of needing to be adjusted anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Crossmax SX's look dope but are 20mm trough axle only, I'm running standard QR, they're also really pricey

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hmm whats good and light for around $350?

mtbr member
    I just bought a Sun Ringle Charger Wheelset 20mm thru axle capable.....1798g advertised. They are 27mm wide.....I run 2.4 up front and 2.35 on the rear...plenty of rim.

http://www.sun-ringle.com/contentpag...lmountain.php5

Huge improvement over my 2510g fr/dh wheelset I had.

think
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearlessj
    Hmm whats good and light for around $350?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigrocks
    Check out the Easton Havocs close to your target weight. I've been running them on my Mojo through rocky tech trails for over a year now and still straigh,tight. I've seen them for between 400 and 500 on the bay.
    I paid $380 shipped to my door last year for a set of Easton AM Havocs. They are fairly wide, reasonably light, and so far have held up great to continuous beating over the New England rocks. A good deal even at $400-500 for sure, lights out for $380.

Members who have read this thread: 0