mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Wink Set-up / Sizing Question

HELP!!!

So, I bought a 2004 Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX in January and ride roughly 30-40 miles of single track a week....so, I am a newbie. Anyway, when I ride my neck and shoulders feel tense and after the ride they are sore. I asked the guru at my local bike shop and he suggested I buy a new bike from him (nice guy). So, I am taking it to the forum...........

Set-up:
    I am just shy of 6' Ft tall and have a Medium frame bike (17.5 per Gary). Any suggestions? Perhaps a set-back seatpost, handlebar riser, Handle bars with a greater rise, stem with a greater degree of angle (currently 10 degrees). Any advice would be a great help! It's good karma to help a newbie down the trail!

Sincerely,

D. Sanchez

Your bike is incorrigible
    First of all, your height doesn't give enough info. We need your inseam as well.

Things to try: moving the saddle back and forth (you can move it about an inch either way);
    rotating the handlebars (you can't get much from this, but it could improve your grip position and take some stress off your arms); finally is stem length (would your guru lend you a few different length stems to play with for the weekend?).

Personally, I'm inclined to say that 17.5" is a little too small. However, if your torso is shorter, then your bike may fit fine. All it requires is fiddling with the components.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' and ride a large fisher, with a short stem. When you ride, your arms should be at 45 angle. If the bike's too long (straighter arm position), you will get neck and shoulder pain.
    If the bike's too short, you will get neck and shoulder pain. If the bike is too short, you will feel cramped in the cockpit, with your back too arched and always feel like pushing yourself off the back of the seat. 2 things you can do for either situation. If the bike's too long, get a shorter stem with more rise, and slide your seat up as far as is comfortable. If bike's too short, get a longer stem with less/same rise, and a bent back seat post, with your seat as far back as is comfortable. You should be able to make it fit either way. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Additional information: My Inseam is 30" - 31", and I have a long torso.