mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Service advice needed.

I just bought a Trek Remedy 7, 2011, I got it home and one of the pedals that came with the bike fell off.

Long story short the guy I bought it from stripped the crank, putting it in.

I took it to the LBS 3 days ago, and he called around to find a stock shimano crank arm, but could not find one, but is going to replace it with a generic one of the same weight and material, it should be in Wednesday next week.

They do a tune up for around 90.00 dollars plus parts if needed. But he does not service the fox suspension. The suspension seems fine
    no leaks or squeaks, it's only two season's old.

But is that the going rate for a tune up? I called and asked what's done for that and was told around 40 different things and to check on the website.
    I checked the website and there was nothing there, Lots of other useful info, but nothing about whats in a tune up.

I've been a DYI guy most my life, but thought I pass this time and let a LBS handle it.

So does this sound right

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Really depends upon what the tune up consists of, and what your lbs store is.
    Service | Fat Tire Farm, Portland, Oregon. The Northwest's Best Selection of Mountain Bikes
    Here is my local DH bike store, and you can see there what the tune up prices are and what they consist of. However, if your fork doesn't need service, most of the stuff (apart from maybe pulling apart the bottom bracket because you might want a torque wrench) you can do yourself, if you have the time and know how (of course there are always youtube videos).

Please note that the link above is a Full Suspension specialty store, no bike costs under around $2k there, so everything they do is very high quality/percision. Like I said, depends what your looking at. Hope that helps. More info and could help more, like what you want tuned and what they tune for that price.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrossefreak17 View Post
    Really depends upon what the tune up consists of, and what your lbs store is.
    Service | Fat Tire Farm, Portland, Oregon. The Northwest's Best Selection of Mountain Bikes
    Here is my local DH bike store, and you can see there what the tune up prices are and what they consist of. However, if your fork doesn't need service, most of the stuff (apart from maybe pulling apart the bottom bracket because you might want a torque wrench) you can do yourself, if you have the time and know how (of course there are always youtube videos).

Please note that the link above is a Full Suspension specialty store, no bike costs under around $2k there, so everything they do is very high quality/percision. Like I said, depends what your looking at. Hope that helps. More info and could help more, like what you want tuned and what they tune for that price.

Thanks, that gives me a little idea of what a tuneup consists of for a high end bike. I'll give the lbs a shot, and see how good of a job they do, otherwise in the future I'll do it myself.