Chris Bling

Sektor after a Fox 36?

I know that these forks dont even really compare, but I am faced with a decision.

I have a Talas 36 that I really enjoy, but pretty much exclusively ride with it in the 130mm position on my bike, at 160 it makes the bike ride funky.

I am just looking at getting a little lighter fork and was wondering if the RS Seklor RL Solo Air would be a good fork. I know its not going to be as stiff, but how is the ride quality in comparison? Really, the 36 is more than my bike needs, so just looking for something a little smaller that will still hold up to abuse and not be a noodle. Not very familiar with the new RS stuff and how they are these days

Thanks!
    Last edited by dustyduke22; 11-21-2012 at 05:03 PM.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

undercover brother
    I have a sektor solo air on my transam and ride it pretty hard with zero complaints. Much lighter than the 36 and just as plush as one. I'm sure you may notice a little flex compared to the 36, but doubt it would be anything to limit you.

mtbr member
    Sektor RL 20mm is basically a Pike.

It uses the Revelation lowers and crowns, so you get tapered steerers, post mount and so on, but the damper in the RL is very close to a Pike 409 from all those yonks ago. The solo air and fixed coil models are lovely and smooth too.

Good fork, reliable, quite stiff (but not a 36), if you really hit the ruts fast you can make it pack down, but fitting the blackbox internals out of a Rev more or less solves that. It's a good seller too

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Swap the rebound damper to that of a Revelation and you'll have an amazing fork. I'm not as concerned with comp dampers.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    Swap the rebound damper to that of a Revelation and you'll have an amazing fork. I'm not as concerned with comp dampers.
    What so different about the Rev rebound damper?
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Why get a Sektor and swap the damper with Revelation's? Why not get revelation instead?

mtbr member
    You can get a Sektor way cheaper.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Take the talas to a shop, service it, convert it to Float and lower it to 130mm. Forget the sektor. Just my opinion...

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Something to consider here:

Running a Sektor (or Revelation) at 150mm gets you ALMOST the same Axle to Crown (A2C) as your 36 at 130. I think it's a difference of 5mm or so. That being said, I'd go with a Revelation DualAir (whatever their crazy model acronym for that is these days) at 150. You'll have roughly the same geo as you do with your 36 at 130 and a bit more squish. Both forks feel excellent, are cheaper than the Fox 32s out there, and last longer with less maintenance. So you can't go wrong with either. But if you can afford it, I'd go with the Revelation.

Chris Bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Sektor RL 20mm is basically a Pike.

It uses the Revelation lowers and crowns, so you get tapered steerers, post mount and so on, but the damper in the RL is very close to a Pike 409 from all those yonks ago. The solo air and fixed coil models are lovely and smooth too.

Good fork, reliable, quite stiff (but not a 36), if you really hit the ruts fast you can make it pack down, but fitting the blackbox internals out of a Rev more or less solves that. It's a good seller too
    So if I got the Sektor for $250, putting a $100 Blackbox damper in it would not make a whole lot of sense But I have thought about it! Fork should show up this week and i'll see if its worth putting money into, or just selling off that one and getting a nicer revelation.
    Affordable Custom Wheels

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    So if I got the Sektor for $250, putting a $100 Blackbox damper in it would not make a whole lot of sense But I have thought about it! Fork should show up this week and i'll see if its worth putting money into, or just selling off that one and getting a nicer revelation.
    Because unless you are buying used, or find a screaming deal, you will end up with a Revelation in the end, for less money.

YMMV obviously, and if you get a smoking deal on a Rev anyhow, or find a decent cheap used one, or have a good shop deal hookup, by all means, do that instead.

I spent $300 on a Sektor Solo Air a while back. Then got a good deal ($50) on a tapered CSU. Then just recently swapped in a new Revelation damper setup for under $100.

So I have a 20mm axle, tapered steer tube Revelation Solo Air now for much less $$ than it would cost otherwise. All new, all warranty-able if need be. Light, stiff, great damping, not a ton of cash.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    i got a Sektor for 280 on amazon last year. put in a blackbox rebound damper 6 months later. i like it.

i couldve gotten a rev for a little more, but going with coil was worth it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    You gotta be riding pretty damn hard with a mid travel bike for a 32 20mm to hold you back compared to a 36 20mm.

Get the RS and save some weight and maintenance
    Just another redneck with a bike

Team Chilidog!
    Quote Originally Posted by tsivis83 View Post
    Take the talas to a shop, service it, convert it to Float and lower it to 130mm. Forget the sektor. Just my opinion...
    This. That way you don't have to deal with anything else.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

undercover brother
    For those of you with sektors, how do they ride at 150mm? Mine is set at 140 on my transAM and I'm thinking of removing the spacer and raising it to 150. I know sektors are shorter in total length compared to fox forks, and I'd like to get a little more of a slack HA, but don't want to lose much on climbing. Thoughts?

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by tangaroo View Post
    For those of you with sektors, how do they ride at 150mm? Mine is set at 140 on my transAM and I'm thinking of removing the spacer and raising it to 150. I know sektors are shorter in total length compared to fox forks, and I'd like to get a little more of a slack HA, but don't want to lose much on climbing. Thoughts?
    Do it.

You'll only alter your angles by somewhat less than half a degree. IMO, my TransAM rode best with a fork in the 150-160 range, overall. Yes, you'll give up a touch in climbing, but benefit everywhere else.

Weight weeny-ism: it'll also be a couple grams lighter without the spacer.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Do it.

You'll only alter your angles by somewhat less than half a degree. IMO, my TransAM rode best with a fork in the 150-160 range, overall. Yes, you'll give up a touch in climbing, but benefit everywhere else.

Weight weeny-ism: it'll also be a couple grams lighter without the spacer.
    Im gonna take your word for it! Dropped it off today for a rebuild and to increase the travel to 150mm

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    BTW adjusting the travel on RockShox forks is actually a VERY easy task to do! if you are getting a full rebuild then it makes since to take it to a shop, otherwise do it yourself.