mtbr member

Securing a 15mm TA in my truck...

Ok, I did a search and found nothing. Probably because I don't know what these are called...

I used to take my bike and put it in the bed of my truck via using a 2x4 and a bike clamp screwed into it. Took the front wheel off and mounted it onto that clamp deal.

Well, I am getting a new bike with a 15mm TA and was wondering if I can simply mod my old ones and make them work with the new bike? Should I buy new ones and if so, what does everyone suggest?

Thanks for your patience...

"...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    What kind of truck?
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    What kind of truck?

Ford Super Duty dually long bed...

Not sure if it is enough truck for this bike, but... Anyways, I just secure the mounts on a 2x4 and sit it in the channels and it rides perfectly. Was thinking of a hitch deal, but with a bed, it doesn't make sense...

mtbr member
    Reason I asked because if you had a Nissa Titan, there is a slick little solution. A cone nut will fit perfectly in the Utilitrack system and securely mount a blockhead. This is what I did for my truck, and it works great.

I have a QR though, but I saw a guy make one for a 15 mm with a woodblock, two eyebolts, and a rod to go through the eye bolts/wood/bike fork and then he drilled holes on the end for some clips to secure it from sliding out, if that makes any sense at all.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

Nice, me too!

I have the Frontier with the same rack but I approached it a little differently. I used small block to set the mounts around 15 degree offset from the truck wall.

This gives me the ability to mount up to 5 bikes in a small bed. The offset mount allow the handle bars to stack over each bike. My first attempt was with wood blocks but they would expand and contract with the weather so the bolts would work loose over time. The final solution was to spend 12 bucks on a piece of aluminum and have them machined at a friend's metal shop. They are as about solid as you can get and gives me more storage that I will regularly need. The mounts are a bit weathered but work great.

As far as a 15 mm mount, buy just the mount and attach them to a 2X10 cut to the width of your bed. This way you can always remove the mounts from your truck and not damage the bed with mounting holes.

Edit: I just reread your post. You already know the last part. Sorry about that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Ok, so instead of buying a $30 adaptor, what are the thoughts to me making a bracket and having a hole on each side that will incorporate the 15mm axle?

I'd buy a new axle as they are pretty cheap...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ElbowScabs
    Reason I asked because if you had a Nissa Titan, there is a slick little solution. A cone nut will fit perfectly in the Utilitrack system and securely mount a blockhead. This is what I did for my truck, and it works great.

I have a QR though, but I saw a guy make one for a 15 mm with a woodblock, two eyebolts, and a rod to go through the eye bolts/wood/bike fork and then he drilled holes on the end for some clips to secure it from sliding out, if that makes any sense at all.
    I have a Titan, I figured there had to a way with all that track in the bed. Thanks!

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    With a truck that size why bother taking off the wheel at all?

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm

I made one of these for my Tacoma and never looked back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Buy a standard yakima bedhead and by this: http://www.hurricanecomponents.com/product.php?id=8