Thread: seatposts

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

seatposts

not quite sure where to put this, so if this is in the wrong forum, i am sorry. anyways, my seat post is worn out, so i need a high quality, durable seatpost, any suggestions/for info needed?

person
    It all depends on your budget. Thompson makes real good seatposts. I've had good experiences w/ Raceface seatposts too.
    My epiglottis is full of bees!

Slapheadmofo
    EPhatch

Singletrack Addict!!!
    Second the Thompson, way to go....
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

Paste eater
    A seat post is a seat post is a seat post as long as it doesn't break/dent/bend after that it's all about grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    A seat post is a seat post is a seat post as long as it doesn't break/dent/bend after that it's all about grams.
    and it has to have a good seat clamp too. Thomson posts don't break/dent/bend, are not too heavy and have a great seat clamp.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Oh, So Interesting!
    I bent a Titec, my Thomson is holding up.

I wish I had a Gravity Dropper... now's the time before you spend $$$ on anything else.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A seatpost is a seatpost is a seatpost... unless it is a Gravity Dropper... in which case its the best upgrade ever to your biking fun. I second davec's suggestion - "now's the time before you spend $$$ on anything else."

banned
    I've bent every other seatpost I've had. My Thomson has been on three bikes now, on the other hand.

mtbr member
    Imagine going from a bike that you had to stop, get off and move the chain to the gear you want, then get back on to ride... and then you get a derailleur.

That is what it is like when you get a Gravity Dropper. If they wern't so expensive, every mountain bike would have one. I love mine
    Hiking and biking to get away from man's madness and enjoy God's creation for a bit.

-Dave

HIKE!

Gravity Dropper

Gravity Dropper

surly and rigid
    Apr 2004
    thomson or gravity dropper...thats it

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    just purchased my thompson last week. had to replace the specialized seatpost cuz the angle of the seat kept moving and was very annoying.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome1979
    thomson or gravity dropper...thats it
    I've had both and the G dropper wins. There's nothing like it for the downhills and windy singletrack. The ultimate seatpost would be a G dropper with a Thomson seat clamp.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrailmonster
    I've had both and the G dropper wins. There's nothing like it for the downhills and windy singletrack. The ultimate seatpost would be a G dropper with a Thomson seat clamp.
    I second that.

Even though I habitually put a lot of stress on frame design and pivot locations, I think whether or not you have a Gravity Dropper is more important!
    "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    I second that.

Even though I habitually put a lot of stress on frame design and pivot locations, I think whether or not you have a Gravity Dropper is more important!
    Yep, people often talk about the effects of 0.5" BB height difference, but there's just no substitute for dropping your entire body mass 3 or 4" lower with the flick of a switch!!

mtbr member
    What about the Maverick Speedball? Is it critical to have the lever on the handlebar?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k
    What about the Maverick Speedball? Is it critical to have the lever on the handlebar?
    Yes, if you want to continue riding without sticking one hand under your seat to lower yourself.

With the GD, you can fly along at speed and drop it as soon as you see the need without having to even think about.

GD is the way to go........

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden
    Second the Thompson, way to go....
    Make that a 3rd. Cant beat quality and workabality (yes it is a real word now).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwcet8k
    The Maverick Speedball is a piece of junk!! I chose the stupid thing, and Saturday I went out to grab my bike for a ride and noticed a nice puddle of hydraulic fluid underneath. Now, after only a month and a half (about 18 rides) the thing won't stay extended anymore. I haven't looked at the price of the GD yet, but don't waste your $250 on the speedball. I know when my warranty unit comes back it's getting traded towards a GD.

Mike

trail fairy
    GD for trail riding and having fun

Thomson for XC or racing

When I want to go light my Thomson Elite comes out to play 5 years and still going strong, Im 200+lbs of thrashing meat on a saddle.

My GDs hung in there well, though not quite as old seems just as robust.

Its worth it IMO once youve had it you'll wonder why youve waited so long to join the gang.

Later
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    GD for trail riding and having fun

Thomson for XC or racing

When I want to go light my Thomson Elite comes out to play 5 years and still going strong, Im 200+lbs of thrashing meat on a saddle.

My GDs hung in there well, though not quite as old seems just as robust.

Its worth it IMO once youve had it you'll wonder why youve waited so long to join the gang.

Later
    The GD is a great piece of kit, but I've had a few gremlins with mine. After about 8 months use, the upper post cracked across the hole for the seat mounting pin. To their credit the replacement post has a detail change in this area, so I'm hoping it won't happen again. The latching is also a bit hit and miss, but I couldn't live without it now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thomson if you want to spend that much. I use a raceface evolve seatpost, which I have found to be excellent! Perhaps thats the way to go for a cheaper seatpost

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've got a 30.9 mm Thomson Elite seatpost that I'll sell you for $40.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthebars
    The Maverick Speedball is a piece of junk!! I chose the stupid thing, and Saturday I went out to grab my bike for a ride and noticed a nice puddle of hydraulic fluid underneath. Now, after only a month and a half (about 18 rides) the thing won't stay extended anymore. I haven't looked at the price of the GD yet, but don't waste your $250 on the speedball. I know when my warranty unit comes back it's getting traded towards a GD.

Mike
    Interesting. In the latest issue of Bike magazine, they were sent four Speedballs to test. Apparently, they've had similar problems with two of them. Not very encouraging.