mtbr member
    May 2013

Seating new tires? Having some issues here.

Hey guys,

I inherited an avalanche GT 1.0, and as such decided to overhaul some pieces (the tires being one). Regular tube tires.

I replaced the front rim, but the rear was fine and straight. (so for the sake of this question, rims are good).

I replaced the original Nevegals tires with some Nevegal John Tomac series, the difference being the originals had a wire rim, and these are the foldable variety. Otherwise they're the same tread I believe, they just have a sticky edge along the sides, and regular in the middle.

I can't get them to sit straight on the rims. They just don't seem to want to sit properly. If I spin the rims the tire can be seen to be meandering back and forth. The bead just doesn't seem to want to seat itself.
    I've tried the soapy water trick, and also keeping them at about 20psi and rocking the treads back and forth, and while this seems to smush them one way or the other, they aren't going on right.
    The edge line I'm accustomed to seeing evenly exposed on either side dives in and out along the edge of the rim in one or two places on both sides of both rims. Deflating, adjusting and re-inflating just has it go back the same or transfers the issue to the other side of the tire.

They're the same size that I'm replacing so I presume they're the right size. The rims match in size.
    Am I missing something obvious here? I didn't predict this being so difficult.
    The wired rims, though heavier seemed to have a truly positive clunk and an audible seating happened as the bead set in place. Can I expect the same of the wireless?

I'm a little hesitant to take them out on the road before I'm certain the tires aren't actually deformed, so I'm able to make a return, but it's also Amazon, so it may not matter if riding on them might be someones suggestion to help them to bed in. At the moment I'm concerned I'm going to hurt them and damage the side walls if they're not seated correctly.

Help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    First start by giving more pressure than 20psi. Also note the position of the bead line/mold on the tire. I'm guessing that it is dipped down under the rim in the areas that you are having trouble? More pressure should help with that, and it will eventually pop out.

However, keep an eye on the opposite side of the wheel, for there to be a 'high' spot that may be nearing coming off of the rim. If this is happening, stop, let the air back out and start again slowly, evening out the tire, little by little. Airing it up to around 35 should get you there, but with the set up I'm assuming you have, you can probably go upwards of that without problems. (Some rims don't want you going above 40...Stans, for example)
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh I should clarify. I've taken them up to 50psi so see if they popped into place. The 20 was an attempt to allow them to remain slippery enough to adjust before going back to the 50psi.
    I've taken them up and down about 10 times since they were delivered, and I still can't get them to evenly seat.

I'm presuming I shouldn't take them too high, for obvious reasons?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can safely take them up to the max on the tire...just watching for what I said above about high spots. Is the bead dipped down in areas, or is it seated evenly around the rim but the casing of the tire is irregular? Try loading in a bit more pressure and then use your hands to press/pull the tire up and out.

**Also, when you do the soapy water trick, make sure there's a good bit of soap in the water, and suds it up pretty good.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It's just dipping below. Nowhere is it too high. I can remember the wire beads being so well seated that they were still connected even upon complete deflation and I had to lever them off.

I'll give it another shot tonight after work. Plenty of soapy water...Sounds like a Friday night to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i changed out the tires for the first time today... and, first time ever for me.

i had to watch a youtube video

i was having the same problem as you.

eventually, i ended up pumping up the PSI to 40 and got the popping sound i was looking for.

the second tire went on much faster and i immediately pumped it up to 40 PSI and heard the popping and the tire did seat itself with no problems.

joel

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Did you also go from wired to folding?

No popping/seating sound from mine, and I went as high as 50psi.

I ask because I'm wondering if I'm searching for an audio reaction that isn't going to happen with folding tires that might only happen with wired is all. :/

Frustrating. Did you also use soapy water, or just went straight to it?

1 hour to go and I'll try it again.

Quote Originally Posted by JAvendan View Post
    i changed out the tires for the first time today... and, first time ever for me.

i had to watch a youtube video

i was having the same problem as you.

eventually, i ended up pumping up the PSI to 40 and got the popping sound i was looking for.

the second tire went on much faster and i immediately pumped it up to 40 PSI and heard the popping and the tire did seat itself with no problems.

joel

mtbr member
    what size tires are they, and what size tubes you using
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    what size tires are they, and what size tubes you using
    Hey. They're actually the same size as stock.
    16" 2.1 kendal tire, and a kendal tube...Size of which escapes me atm. I believe it was a 1.9-2.25 or something? While they've obviously lasted well, the tubes have some suspect reviews.
    Can check later if it's possible to be at fault.

Any recommendations to another brand would be greatly appreciated too.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Oh man, I just found out the issue.
    The pressure gauge on my manual pump was way WAY out of range.
    I can't have been going above 30psi.

I plugged in my compressor and they seated around a real 40psi. One still hesitated, but at 50psi, I pressed the tire on the 'innie' part where it hadn't engaged and it popped right out with a good loud PWAP noise

Thank you everyone. I honestly may have not realized if you hadn't lead me on such a thorough path.
    I can see the soapy water is very needed. Even with tons of it the second rim was still hesitating. Even at near full psi.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    16"?

you mean 26"?
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    16"?

you mean 26"?
    Heh. Yes. My sons first bike had 16" tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    oh, sorry for not replying... for whatever reason i did not get notification that there was a post , d'oh!

glad to hear you where able to seat your tires.

and i did not use any soapy water

just muscled it in there w a few choice words - lol.

joel