mtbr member
    Jul 2011

seat clamp -- quick release or bolt on?

Two questions:
    I just had the misfortune of my seatpost clamp coming undone while on the trail yesterday and lost the bolt and opposing side cavity sit-in (don't know what it's called). I was able to find the pin with the quick release, and clamp stayed on the bike. So, question #1 -- Is this is a Specialized specific part such that I will be hard pressed to find just the missing parts now or should I just order a whole new seat clamp? The size is 34.9mm ID (inner diameter), so is this a common size or will it have to be a Specialized product? Any suggestions appreciated.

Question #2 -- any preference for quick release seat clamp over bolt on clamps? Inuititvely I prefer the quick release ... but my shorts have snagged on to it more than once so am just curious if I have to buy a whole new seat clamp should I go bolt-on (or just get new kind of shorts, haha)? For background, ever since I've lowered my seat to be in line with top of headset I haven't found the need to adjust it much during rides, but any new trail jumps make me lower it to be sure the first couple times. Other than that, it's liveable at a steady height for what it's worth.

Picture Unrelated
    Seat clamps are common sizes in most cases. Here are two of the best QR seat clamps that money can buy: Seat QR - Chromag Bikes Salsa Cycles | Components both would be available in 35mm.

I would never consider riding my bike uphill with the saddle in anything but the correct position for pedaling so a QR seatpost clamp is something I use a lot. Once I get a dropper post (someday...) then I'll probably go to a Chromag non-QR clamp. If it catches on your shorts, you can run it in the opposite direction as it sits and both the replacement clamps I linked to will have a different angle on the levers which may help keep they from getting caught without needing to turn them.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    If you're leaving your saddle at the same height all the time, use a bolt on. Or if you live in an area with high bike crime rates.

If you're wanting to adjust saddle height for terrain frequently and would rather not use a tool to do so, get a QR.

Most bikes ship with QR clamps, probably just so it's easier for salespeople to get the bike fitting for test rides.