mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Scott Ransom 20 2006 vs. Scott Genius 40 2008

My first post - hello everybody

Well I just sold my Scott Reflex and I am buying a new rocket

I made a lot of search, but ended up with 2 bikes:
    - scott ransom 20 2006
    - scott genius 40 2008

An important information is, that ransom will cost me 40% more than a genius and I am not sure, if I really need to invest this amount of money (if genius will be already OK bike for my kind of ride)

So I intend to ride my bike let say twice per week on small tours (1-2 hours of up-hill on a macadam roads and than of course a nice ride down with no big jumps, just a nice ride on single tracks, no DH (more turistic ride).

My thinking is, that with 2008 there must be improvements compared to the previous years made from Scott. I will have more waranty on genious (since ransom is a test bike) and I think, that the suspension on genius is quite enough for my kind of ride. On the other hand, ransom is better looking, have more suspension (I am not sure if I will need it) and is more prestige, the handeling on the trail (I dont know), going up-hill (I dont know), going down-hill (I don't know)...

The 3th was Cannondale prop 2 2008, but due to the fact that I don't have a dealer near by, I put it out.

So I am wondering, which will be more suitable for this kind of the ride? Any experiences? Did anybody already rode both of them? Are that 40% really worth...? Any opinion will be very wellcome!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Nobody

mtbr member
    I don't think a whole bunch of people have experience with these bikes. From the ride you're describing though, the ransom sounds like it would be too much bike, and the advantages of having extra travel and strength would'nt be worth the weight and pedalibility you lose, not to mention the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Owler
    Do not dispute right of way with a tree.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If your in the US and in any sort of hurry it will be the Ransom. Heres a email responce from Scott USA I got yesterday after asking if they would be selling the Genius line here due to the legal issues with Specialized;

"Hi Lucas,

I cannot give you too many details except we will have Genius models available in the States by mid season of next year. Please check with us around late April or June for more details.

Thanks,

Phil"

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I like my '06 Ransom 20 much better than my '06 GT i-Drive 5. For the first week I was very skeptical of the carbon and wouldn't even do a bunny hop but I got over it and now push the bike way harder then I ever pushed the GT. Just came back from a trip to the GA mountains (Bear Creek) and the 0/3/6" adjustable travel option is NICE it really helps when you're climbing and rocks you on the descends. I don't do any huge jumps or gaps but every 1-2' drop there was I took without a problem. Never rode a Genius so I can't tell you if it's better but I'll say that I love my Ransom 20.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had an opportunity to try ransom 20. For going up it was a litte harder compared to my previous scott, but going down, there was no comparison. The bike is a rocket.... I think, that I had a smile on my face still 2 hours after I finished my ride.

But I still have to sleep over a litte bit and try also genious before I decide

R.I.P. DogFriend
    OP is listed as being in "Europe" so the Genius may be available to him.

May depend on your priorities, but a friend has the carbon framed Ransom and really likes the adjustable travel feature. I just saw him on the trail today. He said the faster he pushes it, the better it rides. Me? I would sacrifice some climbing ability for better descending manners, meaning I'd likely lean toward the Ransom, but that's me.

Best to swing a leg over both if possible. Measure twice, cut once.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am riding a ransom 20 with DUC32 fork and some other lighter parts. weighs about 27.

I am riding mostly singletrail, not more than smaller jumps and i love it. with its adjustability i am using it for almost everything and my other 3 bikes are hardly used anymore.

i have tried a genius before as well. it has a very short top tube and i was not as impressed by the rear suspension. my impression is that the ransom is simply a much newer generation and if you can afford it take the ransom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hellocook
    I am riding a ransom 20 with DUC32 fork and some other lighter parts. weighs about 27.
    27pounds? If I calculated right it is around 12,3 kg Am I right??? Becouse in that case, you lost more than 2 kg (or 4,4 pounds)..... I would be interested to know, what you changed (and how much approx. it costed you) to see if i would do the same

But you helped me a lot with the rear suspension comparative. I will very probably decide for ransom..... I have an opportunity (a quite a good deal; -47% of the price on new) on almost new ransom 20 2006. Is it a fare price (the bike has max 100 kilometeres and the mayority not on a trail). I think it is OK...

Were there any special problems on the bike, since this was the first year of production?? Do you know mybe???

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the major change was a DUC32 with 150mm travel (1620g) with a nice wheelset (DT Swiss 240s rear and maverick front, supercomp spokes, mavic 819 about 1750g) and pre-series Mountain King UST Tires 2,2 (only 630g). Other changes incl. all XT, except for XTR cassette, Syntace carbon handlebar, post and clamp, Selle Italia XC seat and Juicy Carbon brakes with 185/160 discs. Pedals are Eggbeater Candy 4ti (the only part that may be a little too light, I do use mallets for very technical downhills)). The Maverick fork and wheelset saved me more 1,5kg, and the Maverick works perfectly with the rear suspension. the 100mm travel adjustmen corresponds perfectly to with the 100mm rear travel set up. the DUC32 also seems to be much stiffer than the original Marzocchi AM. However, the maverick is clearly a cross country and all mountain fork and significiantly improved the climbing performance of the ransom. you will not be able to buy the continental Mountain King UST tires until next year, but regular continenental mountain king supersonics with regular tube are no heavier. also you can save weight by avoiding the heavy 819 rims. The ransom is very plush, so tubeless is not necessarily required.

I guess you can reach about 27,5 pounds with the DUC32 rebuild, a lite maverick wheelset, smaller discs and other handlebar and seat. All together it should cost you about 800$ for new or as new parts purchased smart on ebay. a nice but expensive extra would be a I9 AM wheelset, saving extra 200g to my setup.

I have my ransom since march, it is as as well a ransom 20, modell 2006. I took it for probably about 80 rides, only very technical single trails incl. little jumps but nothing serious. Actually, yesterday I had my first serious crash heading about 3m over the steering wheel due to a little stump in the middle of the trail. No problems at all with the ransom, I have not even noticable scratches on the frame. Everything seem to be excellent quality - the shocks I have not even touched so far.

Good luck with you purchase ...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Another way to get a light but stable tubeless wheelset for the maverick fork is the bontrager race lite set with maverick front and tubeless bontrager revolt tires (use stan's sealant instead of the orignal bontrager sealant). my wife is using such a set on her bike and the weight is comparable to my wheelset. I used her wheels until my wheels were ready and I liked it a lot. this wheelset was OE on various bikes and shows up on eBay once a while. Should be not more than 150-200$ in as new condition. A new but older DUC32 you can get for 300-400$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Tnx hellocook for the infos!