mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Scott aspect fx 35

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and was just after some advice.

I've just purchased a Scott aspect fx 35

The bike rides great and everything is spot on other than the rear shock feeling a bit soft.

Taking into account I've never had a full suss before is this a normal feeling?

Also I've not been able to find much info on the bike other than its got a similar set up to the Scott genius which has had trouble with its rear shock.

Am I being paranoid? I'm heavier than your average rider so don't know whether or not I should have stuck with a hardtail.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially anyone who has had experience with these bikes.

Regards

mtbr member
    oh no, you bought the FX model with the soft shock. Get another full suspension bike but this time with a harder shock!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    oh no, you bought the FX model with the soft shock. Get another full suspension bike but this time with a harder shock!!
    I haven't got a clue about full suspension so I'm not sure if I detect a hint of sarcasm or not lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iftkwoody View Post
    I haven't got a clue about full suspension so I'm not sure if I detect a hint of sarcasm or not lol.
    if we apply some common sense here there might be a possibility to adjust the shock to rider weight OR Scott offers different bikes depending on rider weight (and height) - you decide what's more likely!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    That's the problem with common sense, it's not very common 😉

Any advice is appreciated

mtbr member
    Your suspension is unbalanced

you need a special cable to transfer excess air from the fork to the shock, a process called "leveling out the suspension"

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Your suspension is unbalanced

you need a special cable to transfer excess air from the fork to the shock, a process called "leveling out the suspension"
    Thanks I've got one of them at home I keep it with my sky hooks and skirting board ladder I'll give it a go.
    😂😂😂😂

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Couldn't find my cable so just used an old piece of hose I had in the shed. Worked a treat, thanks for the advice

mbtr member
    Couldn't find my cable so just used an old piece of hose I had in the shed. Worked a treat, thanks for the advice
    ...what?

I'm not familiar with that model bike, but it sounds like you need a shock pump. Scott should have a chart somewhere on their website that shows what air pressure to put in the fork and shock for your weight. You may want to adjust it up or down a little from there, to tweak how the bike handles. (ride it as scott recommends for a month, first).

Have fun with the new bike.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    ...what?

I'm not familiar with that model bike, but it sounds like you need a shock pump. Scott should have a chart somewhere on their website that shows what air pressure to put in the fork and shock for your weight. You may want to adjust it up or down a little from there, to tweak how the bike handles. (ride it as scott recommends for a month, first).

Have fun with the new bike.
    Thanks scottzg appreciate the advice.

As for the hose pipe comment I think someone was making fun of my lack of knowledge on bikes so I humoured them.

I had a dig around and found out about shock pumps, job done. Very happy with how it's turned out.

Thank God for youtube (not sure whether or not it was actual God that invented youtube)

mtbr member
    Most people don't start picking up on sarcasm until their 3rd or 4th full suspension bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post
    Most people don't start picking up on sarcasm until their 3rd or 4th full suspension bike.
    I'm a fast learner me

mtbr member
    I'm a fast learner me
    I think you oversaw something. Because something is wrong with the shock. It's getting pulled instead of pushed. I recommend near term repair

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I think you oversaw something. Because something is wrong with the shock. It's getting pulled instead of pushed. I recommend near term repair
    Cable ties and sellotape