Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007

SC Heckler vs. everything else?

Planning on building up a 6" travel bike over the winter, have it narrowed down to pretty much the Heckler, but was wondering what you guys could suggest. Looking for a frame with 6" travel, less than 7 lbs for the frame, and no more than $1400. I've looked through Yeti, Canfield, Turner etc, Heckler seems the best deal. Ideas?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You might have a hard time finding a 6" bike that weighs under 7lbs in that price range. In fact, the Heckler is the only one I can think of right off hand. You may be able to find a deal on a new, closeout RFX for right around that price, but not sure. I'd open u the field a bit to also include 140mm travel. There's less than a half inch of travel difference between the Heckler and 140mm bikes. I personally couldn't tell the difference in rear travel between my buddy's Heckler (08), and my BLT2.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Banshee Rune (small frame) is claimed 6.2lbs without shock and about $1500 with a swinger.

If you want to sacrifice some weight for cost Chumba Racing Evo is cheaper, I've seen them go around $1400 brand new. Claimed weight of 7.8lbs (medium) and looks really burly!

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    I'm also definitely open to used frames, no older than 07 though, preferably.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You can pick up a new Nomad frame (07 or 08) for around that price. Not sure how much the they weigh though. I've also seen Titus El Guapo frames go for under $1400

mtbr member

Nice bike

I prefer a main pivot closer to the bottom bracket as on a Foes or Turner to keep the chaingrowth/pedal feedback to a minimum. With Turners on closeout and your $1400 limit I'd go Turner.
    IF you decide to spend more the Canfield Sauce is under your weight limit and is the only frame out there that interests me much with my Turner and Foes making me happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    id consider a bike with some sort of engineered suspension. a few pounds on the frame isnt noticeable at all.. toss a water bottle on your bike and go for a ride, then remove it. you cant tell the difference.

So assume your 7 lbs is exclusive of shock, otherwise comparisons could be hard (as well as getting weights without from many manufacturers, and then you have to consider the spec'd shock and hardware, what a pain). I have no idea what any of my Hecklers (99, 02, 07) weigh, though. Weight isn't much of an issue for me and I'd say coil is the way to go, at least I have with the last two (left the oldest one stock with a Float RC). Of the boutique sort of bikes, the Heckler pricing is pretty good, so actually haven't really looked elsewhere; it's always been at or near the top of it's niche IMHO so little reason to shop too hard.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yea. I agree... the Heckler is solid and seasoned...like Rocky Balboa... Sure, some upstart new fighter has come forward... saying it's younger, stronger, and has more modern training and skills...maybe killed its best friend apollo creed... but the heckler has gone to russia... trained in the snow... run up a mountain...and screamed the name of the new bike. Yes, it might not make sense that it would win in the final corny scene in the movie...when it seems to take more hits than any bike could possibly take... but it's all part of it's strategy... and just when you think it must be brain dead, it emerges the victor through the sheer will to stand there and take punches over and over and over again... so my point is... the heckler is the champion... and hopefully it won't have a lame sequel...

spec4life???..smh...
    I am in your same shoes. Iv been looking for a nice economic AM bike that was light and could climb as well as decend. It seems the heckler is such an obviouse choice and the harder I search I keep coming back to it.

I have been looking at the spec enduro sl though, nice bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i just have a real hard time believing a 6 inch single pivot doesnt bob like hell, like every single other single pivot bike ive ridden..

Seeeriously easy Livin
    that was so good

but for $1400 and 7 lbs (with shock) I believe the bike your looking for is right here
    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/gruitr.php

ask the guys at sinister to spec it with a 2.25 stroke shock and you will have over 6" of travel.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

You beat me to it!.....

Sinister Gruitr. Definitely.
    BTW... 16.5" chainstays too! NIIIIIICE!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flystagg
    that was so good

but for $1400 and 7 lbs (with shock) I believe the bike your looking for is right here
    http://www.sinisterbikes.com/gruitr.php

ask the guys at sinister to spec it with a 2.25 stroke shock and you will have over 6" of travel.

A very nice frame no doubt, however the Heckler is 6.4 lbs and $1200.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    And the chainstays on the Heckler are going to be over 17".....
    If I wasn't going to buy a Gruitr, and was going to buy an SC, ... I'd rather buy a Bullit. Get more travel, shorter chainstays, and set it up with a 160mm fork (yes, as the SC site says...) and steepen the HA for climbing. More of a "do it all" in my book.

But, anyway, I plan to buy a Gruitr....
    One less thing made in Taiwan...
    Canada? Yes, but at least supporting an eastern US company.
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Go with the Heckler...you'll love it!!

Seeeriously easy Livin
    are you sre that 6.4 lbs isn't frame only (no shock) because the the gruitr is 7 with a fox float rear shock, so they are probably about the same.

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    I don't want to go with the Bullit, I don't want that much travel. And the Heckler is advertised as 6.5lbs with a float R per Competitive Cyclist's website.

Don't be hasty.
    Jun 2007
    Got a sweet deal on a 575. Problem solved.