mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Santa Cruz TRc vs. Mojo SL-R vs. Pivot 5.7c

Hello, I am planning on purchasing a bike by this summer and I think I've narrowed my selection to these three (Santa Cruz TRc, Mojo SL-R, and Pivot 5.7c). I know that this is the "All Mountain" forum, but I think I am looking for something like an aggressive XC bike, which is how I've come to these three which are more like "Trail" bikes than AM. I'm wondering what opinions people can offer about these three based on my riding style and criteria for selection. Or is there another bike that I should be considering?

I have been an XC rider since I began mountain biking 18 years ago and I've never owned or felt like I needed a bike with more than a 120mm fork and 3" travel in the back. In the past couple of years I have been doing longer rides in more "back country" types of locations which tend to be a bit more rugged terrain. I don't want to totally compromise the efficency/weight of an XC bike, but would like a little bit more absorportion/control/confidence when terrain gets chunky. A typical ride for me is 25-35 miles with 2500-3500ft of elevation gain/loss. So my criteria are as follows, in order of priority:

1. Climbing efficiency
    2. Weight
    3. Downhill/Technical Handling
    4. Durability (I don't buy a new bike every year, this needs to last 6-8 years)

Thanks for your input/opinions/advice!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Two different bikes really. Mojo is a long travel XC bike. Trc is a short travel am bike. More geared towards climbing Mojo, downhill Trc. Its mostly a geometry deal.
    "Do not touch the trim"

ride all day
    Sep 2011
    Climbing efficiency
    Both the Inis and the pivot have the DW-Link suspension which is questionably the. Best pedaling platform in the business. Then the Santa Cruz has the VPP which is also a great pedaler. I've ridden both DW link and VPP, and I personally think the DW-Link climbs a little bit better but there is not much of a difference at all and all of theses bikes will climb very well, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Durability
    All these bikes are from reputable manufacturers and I believe these are all monocoque frame construction and have great durability, but I would say the best would be the mojo. If you take care of these all of these bikes will last

Weight
    If you built up all the bikes the same the Santa Cruz would be the lightest and the mojo and pivot will be around the same weight but anyone of these bike you could build up around 25 pounds

Downhill/Technical handling
    Again in this the pivot and the mojo will be pretty equal, and will both be great in this. The Blur will also be good in this aspect but won't compare to the pivot or the mojo.

Overall I think for mainly trail riding and not much else go for the blur. But I think you should go for the mojo as it has so much versatility. You can set it up as a light trail bike or an all mountain destroyer. You could even switch out the link and have 6 in the back and a 180 fork and it would be perfectly capable in the bike park. I have heard nothing but good things about this bike, but any bike you go with you will be happy with.

orthonormal
    If you go with the Mojo SLR, consider ordering it with the angleset option so you can reduce the head angle. It's 69 degrees stock, somewhat steep IMO for a bike in this category.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    Overall I think for mainly trail riding and not much else go for the blur. But I think you should go for the mojo as it has so much versatility. You can set it up as a light trail bike or an all mountain destroyer. You could even switch out the link and have 6 in the back and a 180 fork and it would be perfectly capable in the bike park. I have heard nothing but good things about this bike, but any bike you go with you will be happy with.
    You are thinking of the Mojo HD, not the SL-R. The SL-R is more of a long legged XC bike. You can run an angleset to slacken it out. This would make it more comparable to the two other bikes in question.

mtbr member
    Downhill/Technical handling
    Again in this the pivot and the mojo will be pretty equal, and will both be great in this. The Blur will also be good in this aspect but won't compare to the pivot or the mojo.

Overall I think for mainly trail riding and not much else go for the blur.

I have to disagree with this statement. Mostly in favor to the TRC, the TRC will out perform the SLR depending on where you live. Here is the lay down via geometry of the bikes, the TRC is a pure breed west coast descender. The low BB height combined with the shorter travel and slack head tube angle allows the bike to corner like a demon and pop off about anything within it's sight. However if you live in a place where your downhill a more technical slow paced vs high speed, then the TRC won't help you out so much. Travel means more then geometry in straight line technical descents. If you are constantly riding over boulders and rock gardens then the higher bb from the other two will serve you well.

The blur has a lot going for it in the technical downhill department, but it requires you to be a more fluid rider and one who isn't afraid of leaving the ground. It definitely will outperform the SLR just with it's 2 degree slacker headtube angle. Nothing worst then descending a steep rocky chute with a 69 degree headtube angle

Also if you buy into the whole 650b thing(they are kinda of cool...), the TRC converts into an awesome 650 bike too. For the more pedaly oriented days.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    If you go with the Mojo SLR, consider ordering it with the angleset option so you can reduce the head angle. It's 69 degrees stock, somewhat steep IMO for a bike in this category.
    The Blur TRc is 68 degrees, do you think the 1 degree makes that big of a difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jerms View Post
    The Blur TRc is 68 degrees, do you think the 1 degree makes that big of a difference?
    1 degree enough to get most people buying an angleset, 68 is still steep though, I run sub 67 on my trail-am bikes.

mtbr member
    I personally would pick a TRc. One of many reasons include a 5 year warranty on the TRc opposed to a 3 year warranty on the other 2.

Heres the ad for the new TR Aluminum: RAT ATTACK! Introducing the New Santa Cruz Blur TR on Vimeo
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2clue View Post
    1 degree enough to get most people buying an angleset, 68 is still steep though, I run sub 67 on my trail-am bikes.
    Its 68 with a 130mm 32mm Float. It will be 67.5 with a 140mm. Put a 160mm 36 Float shimmed to 140mm and you have 67 easy.
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I've owned both the TRc and the Pivot 5.7, only rode the Mojo for 20 sec, so no real comment.

I had the exact same fork (fox 36 set to 140) and same wheels on both bikes, so it makes the comparo pretty fair. I'l echo comments above.

Both are great bikes, but very different than looking at geometry numbers suggest.
    Pivot is the best climber I've ever ridden. Literally made climbs that stopped me on other bikes, including one that I've only made once, and only on the pivot. But it really rides like a long travel XC bike.
    the TRc is a *slightly* less efficient climber, but its SO much more fun. Feels like a little go-cart, and pedals so great on the flats, and to be honest, I've never missed the 5.7 on the climbs.

Got the TRc b/c I moved west. No rocks compared to back east. If I stayed back east, I may have still sold the 5.7 and got something slightly more fun on the downhill. The TRc's low BB may be an issue in chunky stuff, but for the terrain I've ridden in OR, CA, and WA, I'm loving it. If your terrian is similar, I can't recommend it enough.

mtbr member
    TRc is freaking hot... I want one sooo bad.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Any chance you can demo any of them?

You're going to get biased views mostly - of people who own one of those bikes.

I'll say I'm extremely pleased with my TRc. Have had it on fast smooth stuff, and plenty of east coast chunk - don't worry about the low BB - it's not that big of a deal if you can figure out timing your pedals and not just trying to bulldoze through the trail.

Light, stiff, stout, very confidence inspiring feeling bike.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

NedwannaB

A little biased^^^

Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Any chance you can demo any of them?

You're going to get biased views mostly - of people who own one of those bikes.

I'll say I'm extremely pleased with my TRc. Have had it on fast smooth stuff, and plenty of east coast chunk - don't worry about the low BB - it's not that big of a deal if you can figure out timing your pedals and not just trying to bulldoze through the trail.

Light, stiff, stout, very confidence inspiring feeling bike.
    But very credible.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    May 2011

Doubt it

Durability
    All these bikes are from reputable manufacturers and I believe these are all monocoque frame construction and have great durability, but I would say the best would be the mojo. If you take care of these all of these bikes will last
    I would have to disagree with this statement too. Here is a video demonstrating the strength of the Nomad c's durability.Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike I'm sure the TRc can't be much weaker.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Doubt it

Durability
    I would have to disagree with this statement too. Here is a video demonstrating the strength of the Nomad c's durability.Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike I'm sure the TRc can't be much weaker.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    All three are great bikes. Cant go wrong with any of them.
    Choose the one that most pleasing to your eyes. Just enjoy by looking at it.
    And to my eyes, ibis mojo slr is the one.
    Good luck with your choice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry, wrong topic. Couldn't find how to delete my message...