65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Banshee Rune

40 61.54%
  • Santa Cruz Nomad

25 38.46%
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Santa Cruz Nomad vs. Banshee Rune

Hey, a friend of mine is looking to get a new bike thatll handle everything from an occasional FR skills class to epic xc wit rock gardens to some nice swift down sections. Both are really nice and well reviewed rigs but....and here comes the most played question of all time...which is best? Can get nice builds for sub $3500.

mtbr member
    The Rune is a nicer ride than the older Nomads, they don't blow through the mid stroke of the travel as easily. The new Nomad is much better than the old one though so if you are talking the 09 Nomad it is a tougher question, both bikes are really close geometry wise, with the Rune having a slightly longer top tube. Both have grease gun fittings on the pivots making maintenance easier, the Nomad will be more expensive to replace the bearings when they do go, in theory - unless SC still has lifetime warranties on those (although with that you still had to buy a bearing kit before hand and send them the old ones) and the Rune will be cheaper, the Igus bushings it runs are super cheap, and easier to replace, no special tools needed. Really it boils down to price and esthetics - if you like the curvy lines go Nomad - want it more 'conventional' then go Rune.

edit; one other thing, at least in Canada, Banshee has a wider choice of rear shocks than SC too.

Bike to the Bone...
    Check the Banshee forum. There is a user that had a Nomad and changed to a Rune. I don't remember well the name, but it might be good to contact him.

I think that both could be pretty good. Personally I like the Rune a little more, but that just a personal preference. I just think that it might be a bit burlier but not much heavier.

Knolliac
    first off i have never ridden a rune but from all account is seems like it kills.

i do have a 2008 nomad and can tell you it lives up to the hype. the dhx air shock was the culprit of the "blowing through the midstroke" complaint mentioned by martins. it was/is not a nomad or vpp issue but rather the shock. i have had 3 shocks on mine. the dhx coil, marzocchi roco wc air and currently a ccdb. all have been really good to great. no midstroke issues. countless others can attest to what i am saying here. the manitou isx-6 air shock also gets rave reviews not only on the nomad but also on the rune.

santa cruz still has lifetime warranty on their bearings and from my experience over the past 4+ years and 3 santa cruz frames, they have outstanding customer service. as far as maintanance is concerned, it would be nice to have zerk fittings but pulling the pivot axles every few months to apply antiseize compound is not a big deal. my three vpp bikes have never squeek or creaked.

the burly/toughness factor of the nomad is a non issue. this frame will take what ever you can dish out and most people never reach the limits of it's abilities.

i do not mean to detract at all from the rune, i think it is a great frame and an equal to the the nomad. really a tough decision and i think you will most likely be happy with either.
    Last edited by EastBay_Slim; 03-20-2009 at 05:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Owned 07 nomad til it cracked, replaced with the the 08 with kinda funky GEO/sizing sold it when my banshee showed. Demo'd 09 Nomad at Ibike

The 07 Nomad rocked I had an evolver on there fox 06 150mm 36 and it was a great handling bike. Bummed it Broke

On to the Rune, I set up the Rune like the Nomad but I crashed 5 of the first 6 rides, could not figure it out. When it came down to front tire choice and the slacker headtube with a 1.5 cane creek stack height and the 160mm talas. Not enough weight on the front end.

Anywho the Rune is a better climber and very "sporty", it response and pedals well. Nomad leans a bit more freeride a bit plusher and can handle a bigger fork.

Rune Large Frame is around 8lbs with evolver, talas 36 185 avids etc. full build is 32ish. Great do all bike stable enogh for the Gnar, pedals well enogh for climbing and all day riing, not too heavy not too light. Its a winner.

Small issue of pedal feedback, the "DW" style linkage can get a bit confused at times, but very minor point, yo will get use to it fast. Linkage is getting squiky but my fault as I have not lubed the pivots as my greese gun does not fit.

Go for tha Rune no upcharge for Black anno and the Banshee guys are cool Candians!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    Owned 07 nomad til it cracked, replaced with the the 08 with kinda funky GEO/sizing sold it when my banshee showed. Demo'd 09 Nomad at Ibike

The 07 Nomad rocked I had an evolver on there fox 06 150mm 36 and it was a great handling bike. Bummed it Broke

On to the Rune, I set up the Rune like the Nomad but I crashed 5 of the first 6 rides, could not figure it out. When it came down to front tire choice and the slacker headtube with a 1.5 cane creek stack height and the 160mm talas. Not enough weight on the front end.

Anywho the Rune is a better climber and very "sporty", it response and pedals well. Nomad leans a bit more freeride a bit plusher and can handle a bigger fork.

Rune Large Frame is around 8lbs with evolver, talas 36 185 avids etc. full build is 32ish. Great do all bike stable enogh for the Gnar, pedals well enogh for climbing and all day riing, not too heavy not too light. Its a winner.

Small issue of pedal feedback, the "DW" style linkage can get a bit confused at times, but very minor point, yo will get use to it fast. Linkage is getting squiky but my fault as I have not lubed the pivots as my greese gun does not fit.

Go for tha Rune no upcharge for Black anno and the Banshee guys are cool Candians!
    Were you comparing the 09 Nomad to the Rune or the 07? How did you like the 09 Nomad?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Was compared to the 07, I never built the 08 replacement.

The 09 Nomad I only rode a couple of runs at Bootleg. The 09 nomad felt pretty good but not much time on it to really be specific. The 09 geo is closer to the 07 but I did not notice the soft spot in the middle of the travel of the 07. I actually liked the soft middle travel of the 07 as the evolver shock worked very well, giving the 07 a plush feeling.

Bottom line is the 07 and 09 Nomads felt a litle more like a AM to lightfreeride and the Banshee Rune felt more efficient AM type ride, but smaller guys like Bobrocket and others are rockin the Rune on DH courses.

Also rode the 09 Tracer, man is was like a fast xc bike with 6" travel, more on the XC/AM side than the Rune.

To summerize any of these three are Killer, Tracer more XC/AM ish, Rune middle AM ish and Nomad AM/FRish.

Can't got wrong but for the $$$ the Rune wins!

Group Hug Participant

Interesting summary

I'm going from a Bottlerocket to a Rune and honestly can't wait to see how to see how this bike rides. I'll have 2 sets of wheels (light and heavy) and will see how a Pushed Roco TST works over a DHX Air. The Rune will also take a 7" fork (I'll be using 36 Talas).

One thing I've noticed on the Rune (haven't checked the Nomad yet) is how comparable it is to the 2010 Turner RFX (frame weight, geo.,bb height, etc. etc.), at least on paper.

The Nomad was a bike I was considering, but more people ride them over the Rune. Be original.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007
    Was compared to the 07, I never built the 08 replacement.

The 09 Nomad I only rode a couple of runs at Bootleg. The 09 nomad felt pretty good but not much time on it to really be specific. The 09 geo is closer to the 07 but I did not notice the soft spot in the middle of the travel of the 07. I actually liked the soft middle travel of the 07 as the evolver shock worked very well, giving the 07 a plush feeling.

Bottom line is the 07 and 09 Nomads felt a litle more like a AM to lightfreeride and the Banshee Rune felt more efficient AM type ride, but smaller guys like Bobrocket and others are rockin the Rune on DH courses.

Also rode the 09 Tracer, man is was like a fast xc bike with 6" travel, more on the XC/AM side than the Rune.

To summerize any of these three are Killer, Tracer more XC/AM ish, Rune middle AM ish and Nomad AM/FRish.

Can't got wrong but for the $$$ the Rune wins!
    Official Chocolate Fountain Spokesman

mtbr member
    I agree that the old Nomad is much better with an ISX-6, I have one on mine. Unfortunately SC doesn't offer the ISX as an option, you have to pay for an additional shock, whereas the Rune has the ISX available with the frame.
    I have ridden all three bikes discussed here and really like the new Nomad, I have to say that the Rune is just as good and a little stiffer torsionally in the back end - if that really matters to you. One other thing, the new Nomad I have ridden was equipped with an RP23 which I see isn't an option now, I don't know much personally about the Monarch shock that is currently available (along with DHX air and coil) but I know some guys that have had issues with them.
    One other thing to consider is that SC has a wide selection of build kits, which unfortunately Banshee doesn't have - being a way smaller company - so it may depend on how your local shop can set you up.