Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    5'11" w/ 32" inseam on a Large Nomad w/ an 80mm stem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok guys. Decided to pass medium Nomad. Today I test rode a used 2006 Large SC VP Free. It felt amazing! It had so much travel! He's selling it for $1,400. Now I know it's a FR bike, and I should probably be posting this in the DH-FR area. But does anyone here ride the VP Free as an All-Mtn? The peddling on it was a bit hard compared to an All-Mtn bike... and it ways 42lbs I believe:/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac. View Post
    But does anyone here ride the VP Free as an All-Mtn? The peddling on it was a bit hard compared to an All-Mtn bike... and it ways 42lbs I believe:/
    I used to.

I had a VPFree when they first came out. I had it set up as both a park bike (200mm fork) and as a "all mountain" bike... I don't really remember that term back when I owned it. In it's less-heavy configuration it had a 160mm fork and some non-dh tires.

It's really a freeride monster. I used to go trail riding on it but honestly it wasn't a lot of fun unless there was a ton of downhill. Uphill grinds were a pain even with a granny ring. I mean you're looking at a 9+ lb frame and a sky high bottom bracket at 15.4" (it's also a VPP1 bike, where the Nomads you're looking at are VPP2 leading to somewhat better pedaling performance).

Unless you plan on doing a ton of park riding and shuttling (ie. you have friends that want to go shuttling dh runs every weekend), I think I'd steer clear of the Free as a trailbike as appealing as the monstrous amount of travel is.

Don't get me wrong, I loved mine... it's a great second bike... I just don't think I'd go for it as a first one. At the time I owned it, I also had a Blur and when the lift accessed trails in my area shut down, I sold the VPFree.

More VPFree info if you're still interested here:

Santa Cruz Bicycles | VP Free

Post pics of your VP-Free

VP-Free with Short Shock (merged thread)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Really? We actually were talking about adding a granny gear to the front. And maybe a lockout. Even then you think it's to much?
    Last edited by Zac.; 12-02-2012 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zac. View Post
    Really? We actually were talking about adding a granny gear to the front. And maybe a lockout. Even then you think it's to much?
    Yep... the VPFree is a hell of a lot of bike. Honestly, I think the thing that makes it not a great AM bike is the geometry. A 15.4" bb makes the bike ride very very high, both the Driver 8 and the V10 have lower bottom brackets. The Free was great for hucking off loading docks, urban freeride and terrain parks. It was horrible for daily trail riding. I'm sure some people like it for that however but to each their own. I will also tell you that it runs a funky chainline and setting up a 2x front takes a bit of work and some spacers.

It will feel amazing on a test ride... like an amazing couch. But make sure you take it on the kind of trail that you want to be riding most of the time. If that involves climbing, make sure you take it climbing... make sure you pedal it on flats and get a feel for that too.

A Nomad can make a phenomenal trailbike. What happened to the Large Nomad C?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think a carbon fiber is btter than aluminum.

mtbr member
    I am 5'10.5 and have ridden both large and med bikes. I typically rely more on top tube measurement than seat tube. 24-ish in = large, 23-ish in = med in most cases. While I have found medium bikes to feel a bit more flickable, I notice that on descents I am closer to the bars and feel less stable. Kind of like OTBing is easier on the shorter top tube.
    All frame sizes are a compromise. If you go with a longer top tube, climbing may be a bit more difficult and keeping your front tire on the ground might be more difficult as well.
    I just bought a Large Santa Cruz Solo. I feel much more confident on the downhills but I am having to re-learn my climbing technique on a larger frame.

Mountain Lion Bait
    I have a Gen 1 Nomad in Medium and I'm just scratching 5'9". However, I like my cockpits tight, but that's just me. For your height, get the Large and put a 50mm stem on it. You can thank me later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2