View Poll Results: Which Santa Cruz LTc for AM?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blur LTc

17 22.08%
  • Tallboy LTc

27 35.06%
  • Nomad c

33 42.86%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Santa Cruz LT showdown, what would you choose?

I am growing weary of my '06 Trek Fuel EX7 and see getting a new AM rig on the horizon. The question is which one to choose. I have had the idea of the Nomad in my head for some time but with the 29er's gaining popularity and refinement the Tallboy LT has been thrown in the mix. Although, I have never spent any legit time on a 29er. You also can't forget the Blur LT. Carbon is the only option.

A little background, I have rode DH for 12 years and have a fast, flowy, playful (try to get air off of anything) type ride style. The biggest downfall of the Fuel is its ability to descend, and its pretty heavy for a trail bike at 31 lbs.

What would you go with?

Feel free to give your input, especially on a 29er being an AM rig.

Blur LT: 5.96 lbs, 5.5" travel

Tallboy LT: 5.18 lbs, 5.3" travel

Nomad: 6.16 lbs, 6.3" travel

Warrior's Society
    I really like my Tallboy.......but I have also been riding 29ers since 2004.

All 3 of your options listed will climb well........all will descend well.

Some will tell you that you can't jump a 29er, or that they are slow in the handling dept......neither is true.

Best I could do is suggest you demo them.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's why I put the Tallboy on the list. It's got the stigma of having weak wheels and unfavorable geometry. The tech has come a long way in recent years and I am willing to check it out.

BTW, Bucky rocks!

遅すぎ
    Apr 2008
    You could try posting in the SC forum too. NomadC is an awesome bike, and so is the Tallboy LTc. The Tallboy LTc is extremely stable and stiff, as much as the Nomad, and does not handle like 29ers of the past. I've demoed one and rode with someone who was absolutely pinning one on more downhill oriented trails. He was jumping it no problem and the speed he could cary over obstacles and straight lines was much higher than my Blur LT2. I would only start catching him on real tight turns. The Blur LTc is a great bike, but every time I've ridden one I also think "it should be better" or "the nomad is more worth it". All 3 bikes you list climb fantastic, the Tallboy probably the best of the lot depending on how it's built. Of the 3, I'd probably get the Tallboy only because there are lighter fork options than a lyric or fox 34/36 on the nomad and it's sufficient for 99% of the riding I do. One thing to note since you used to more of a DHer, the Blur is probably easiest to manual out of those 3.

I'm a SC fanboy, but there are also other options to consider. Intense Carbine/275 might be a really good one; it is a super impressive bike as a 26, even more so as a 27.5, I did an extended demo at San Juan trail when Intense threw a party there last summer. Probably will be my next bike. Best bet is to try to ride every bike you can get your hands on before committing. Other carbon bikes to consider: Pivot Mach 5.7c, Mojo HD (bleh), Yeti SB66c (bleh again), Devinci Dixon (super competitive price and weight, but haven't ridden it, some mag review call it an AM rig for DHers b/c of super slack geo), and many others people will be sure to chime in about.

mtbr member
    If I had to choose I would go with a Blur TRc with shimmed down fox 36 or similar. Its call the XC bike for DHers. and thats only because I have AM covered with a Canfield The One. Though it would be nice to see them update the geo on the Nomad to be slightly lower and quite a bit slacker HTA which are reasons to love the The One
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member
    I love my Tallboy LTc, and you'd love it too. But you'll also love the Nomad and the Blur LTc. The wheels of the Tallboy get off the ground easier than any 29er full suspension I've ridden, but if I were really an air happy rider, I'd probably stay with the 26 inch wheel. If I'm more interested in steep and gnarly descents, I think the 29 inch wheel has an edge. It just doesn't get hung up on things making bombing downhills incredibly stable.

mtbr member
    If you've been on a 06 fuel, you really havent been riding DH. Nearly any modern bike will blow you ride out of the water, theres a ton more options than SC.

SC is a great brand, but you dont need a high end carbon bike to drastically transform your riding, coming from a 06 fuel. Try some bikes, you'll be blown away by whats out there now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    If you've been on a 06 fuel, you really havent been riding DH. Nearly any modern bike will blow you ride out of the water, theres a ton more options than SC.

SC is a great brand, but you dont need a high end carbon bike to drastically transform your riding, coming from a 06 fuel. Try some bikes, you'll be blown away by whats out there now.
    what are some of your favorites modern design?

mtbr member
    Neither. I like my Nickel LT!

'96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

I have two Santa Cruz Super 8's for DH duty. One built as a "heavy hitter" with a Monster T, and the other as more of a race set up.

I will definitely take trying all the bikes into consideration.

beater

Santa Cruz LT showdown, what would you choose?

Quote Originally Posted by hkenshin View Post
    Best bet is to try to ride every bike you can get your hands on before committing. Other carbon bikes to consider: Pivot Mach 5.7c, Mojo HD (bleh), Yeti SB66c (bleh again), Devinci Dixon (super competitive price and weight, but haven't ridden it, some mag review call it an AM rig for DHers b/c of super slack geo), and many others people will be sure to chime in about.
    Agreed. But I doubt the Devinci is super slack. I'm not sure of the Dixon's geo #s, but in general, Devinci is known for going against the current trend for slack front ends. Both the Wilson and the Atlas are considerably steeper than their competition.

I actually have ridden both the Dixon and the Atlas, and liked them equally, despite a preference for 29ers. Devinci's suspension is pretty sweet. I also really liked the SB66, but it was the alloy frame, with a coil suspension. And on a demo ride with 2 friends, one of whom strongly prefers 26" wheels and the other is ambivalent, we were all three arguing about who HAD to ride the Mojo HD. Goes to show there's no substitute for demoing. I liked bikes I wouldn't have expected to, and a couple that I really thought I would like, and would have considered buying, I actually didn't care for. I wonder how many people spend upwards of $2K on a frame and convince themselves they like it, when they might have a different opinion if they didn't have any skin in the game.

You can probably ride all three bikes happily on the same trails, although you could make the Nomad more park-friendly. It's like comparing flavors, and how can you know what flavor you prefer without tasting them?
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbigfot111 View Post
    what are some of your favorites modern design?
    Honestly, almost everything out there these days is good. I cant think of any "bad" bikes from any of the serious manufacturers. Its all good stuff, its all different and does appeal to different riders though. Its really worth checking out the tons of different stuff out there.

Its all about strength, quality and geometry. Bikes are pretty dialed now, you can make the suspension do what you want on nearly anything, thats less of an issue for me.

mtbr member
    id go with either the nomad or tallboy. I test rode both and ended up with the tb. the nomad is heavier and goes down better, the tallboy goes up better, lighter, but still goes down and does everything very well. riding a long travel 29 can feel a little tall at first but once you ride it you wont want to go back to 26. all the myths of weird handling and stuff are not true with this one. but like others said before me... gotta go demo them and see what works best for you
    My Girl friend said, " it's not about how LONG your travel is... its's how well you use it!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, don't buy anything before Apr. 1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Aside from your 2 S-8's, do you have any other bikes or will this be your only do-all ride, sans DH? It's only conjecture on my part as I have not ridden any of the 650b options but they seem to be filling the gap for lots of people that cannot comit to 26/29. SC will be releasing one soon. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Tough call. I've spent time riding all three through various demos. If you ride like a downhiller, I'd say go with the Nomad. Its got the beef and the geo for more aggressive riding. The Blur LT and Tallboy LT are more trail orientated bikes. Between the Blur and Tallboy, I personally enjoyed the Tallboy more. It had the fun to ride factor of the Blur but the advantage of the big wheels. I'd say don't buy anything until you ride.

All three are awesome bikes. You won't be disappointed with whatever one you choose.

There are deals on Butchers and Nickels floating around. But if you're willing to spend the $ go with one of the VPP bikes. I rode a Butcher for a couple seasons and found it to be flexy and not the best pedaler. Still a great bike, but the VPP are worth the extra cash.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2012 Banshee Spitfire 26er
    2005 Trek Bruiser urban single speed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedlizard720 View Post
    A little background, I have rode DH for 12 years and have a fast, flowy, playful (try to get air off of anything) type ride style. The biggest downfall of the Fuel is its ability to descend, and its pretty heavy for a trail bike at 31 lbs.

What would you go with?
    Given that background i say Nomad C, hands down.
    Even without that background my vote would go for the Nomad C, but with it.... it's a no brainer.

I currently have both a BLTc and a Nomad C

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am one of the few who voted for the Blur LTc. I love mine. It is light and fast, and I've taken it everywhere and it has never failed me. I tried the Nomad and it felt too much for me, and I am too short for 29s. I think your best bet is to go to a store that lets you demo these bikes and see which one feels right for you. I did that with my Blur before I bought it. The store I demoed it at let me actually take the demo bike to a trail which was great, much better than just riding on the street or back parking lot. I've kept my SPXAM2X10 model pretty much stock, except I put a Kind Shock LEV seat post on it, which has made the bike even better for AM.
    Best of luck with selecting your bike! The good news is, regardless of which one you pick, you'll have a great bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I own an LTc (for good reason) and have ridden a Nomad c. It all boils down to your motive when you ride. The LTc is a great climber for a 5.3" travel bike and it's a 29er so it rolls over everything. The descents on it are super smooth and plushy.
    My experience with the Nomad c was in Mammoth and that was sure a fun bike for those trails. I did a couple little climbs on it and they sure weren't as easy as on the Tallboy.

Ow!
    It all depends on the type of trail and the type of riding. I ride very rocky trails with very few extended downhills (or uphills). My Blur LTc, built up a little heavier than most, is great for this (I like the higher BB height going over rocks). If the trails are more smooth and you like to ride downhillish (even if it isn't "real" downhill), then the Nomad (or TRc if trails are a bit mild) would fit the bill more. The Nomad is more capable for riding closer to true DH (e.g., lift assist).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    Just in case it hasn't been mentioned, don't buy anything before Apr. 1.
    why so? im a noob so please bear with me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSkillet View Post
    why so? im a noob so please bear with me...
    They are announcing a new bike, likely in this category, on April 1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillharman View Post
    They are announcing a new bike, likely in this category, on April 1.
    oh....

mtbr member
    I've had two aluminium LTc's, then a Nomad c for 2 years. Last year I sold the Nomad frame and transferred the build to an LTc frame. Running 2012 36 Talas's, Marzocchi Roco TST shock, Hope/Flow wheelset, 2 x 9 drivetrain, wide bars, KS Lev dropper. About 28.5lb.

Main reason for the change was geometry - I've pretty much transferred the complete Nomad build over. Frame weights are close so weight wasn't the deciding factor.

LTc has shorter cockpit than the Nomad, which suits my body (and lower back) better. I used to get sore lower back on the Nomad climbing - don't with the LTc as it places me more upright.

LTc climbs better, and is more agile - better on switchbacks, tight single track, hopping off obstacles, and twisty flowy tracks. But can still handle drops, rock gardens and steep technical terrain.

Nomad is more stable and faster in a straight line where you can point and shoot a bit more.

Loved the Nomad - love the LTc more. Its more fun.
    PAINT IT BLACK

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamt View Post
    I've had two aluminium LTc's
    No you haven't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast