mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Santa Cruz Heckler vs Fezzari Nebo Peak

I've been looking at getting a new mountain bike, and I've narrowed it down to a Fezzari Nebo Peak, and a Santa Cruz Heckler. Here are the links for both bikes:

Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com

The Heckler is a 2005 frame, but has been completely upgraded in August of this year with new components and suspension. The Nebo Peak is a 2008, so the frame will be a bit newer and the components slightly older... and it looks like it has a little more travel.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two bikes? Any opinions and suggestions would help immensely.

- Cheers

addict
    Can't go wrong with a Heckler, dont know much about the Fezzari, but you should confirm that the lifetime warranty is not limited to the original owner.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I just got my 2009 heckler and love it. Personally I think the guy is asking too much considering for a 400 hundred bucks more you can get a brand new one with warranties and all. But he has upgraded. if your not in a hurry shop around. I got mine for 800 bucks and its awesome. I probably got super lucky with that price but at the same time I know there are plenty people that are willing to sell during the winter. These guys are in boise and sell em for about 1699 new Joyride Cycles | Boise's Bike Shop in Hyde Park. check em out. You cant go wrong with a heckler though the reviews say it all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I agree that the heckler is too much. i got a 2008 with full x9 dt wheels float rlc rp23 and all kinds of other good stuff for 1200

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInsaneCyclist View Post
    I've been looking at getting a new mountain bike, and I've narrowed it down to a Fezzari Nebo Peak, and a Santa Cruz Heckler. Here are the links for both bikes:

The Heckler is a 2005 frame, but has been completely upgraded in August of this year with new components and suspension. The Nebo Peak is a 2008, so the frame will be a bit newer and the components slightly older... and it looks like it has a little more travel.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these two bikes? Any opinions and suggestions would help immensely.

- Cheers
    I rode that Nebo up through last year. I liked it so much I bought the 2011. It sounds like this Heckler has an updated brake and suspension set, but not an upgraded drive train. I'm also curious why they did that? If they had to update the suspension, that 6-year old frame has also probably taken a beating as well. I love the Sram X9 drive train on my Nebo. It's taken a beating, and it keeps on working smoothly.

One thing you probably need to find out is what size these frames are. You want the bike to fit you correctly, and one may be for small bodies and the other for large bodies. How tall are you? Weight?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    How tall are you? Weight? :

I'm about 6' 0" and 192 lbs. (oohf I put on some weight when I broke my leg rock climbing earlier this year... need to lose it). I've been riding a medium frame specialized and it fits pretty well, I could probably go up to a large frame though. I know that the santa cruz frames tend to run a little smaller so I guess thats something I'll have to look at.

I've talked to both people and could get the nebo for 1250 and the heckler for 1100. I'm going to go look at both of them today... too bad I can't take both of them for a ride on a trail. Any more opinions?

- Thanks Lads

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would go for a large on the Heckler for sure