mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Santa Cruz Heckler rear derailleur help

I have searched but have found mixed answers. I am building a 2011 Santa Cruz Heckler and am having trouble finding out what size rear derailleur I need. I am going to be running a 1x10 32t chainring and 11-36 cassette. I am pretty sure I need a small cage but I read a discussion about that frame needing a longer cage for 150mm of travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you are going 1xX , you should run a SHORT cage derailleur
    If you are going 2xX , you should run a MEDIUM cage derailleur
    If you are going 3xX , you should run a LONG cage derailleur

It's the same for all bikes, Heckler included.

I have had two Hecklers; 2004 and 2012 and both have been run 1x9 with a short cage derailleur. Just account for chain growth with cutting the chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got a Trek Remedy I recently went 1x10 with but thought I'd chime in here. I went with the Zee "freeride" RD so I could use a 11-36 cassette. I used the "big-big, fully compressed suspension" method to measure correct chain length. I must not have noticed it at first, but now when I'm in the two smallest cogs (11 & 13) there is a quite a bit of chain slack. It appears the RD has no more room to move back, if that makes sense. I don't have a pic at the moment, hopefully I've explained it well enough. LBS said to remove a link or two from the chain, but this won't give me the correct (or what I measured as correct) chain length. Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I've got a Trek Remedy I recently went 1x10 with but thought I'd chime in here. I went with the Zee "freeride" RD so I could use a 11-36 cassette. I used the "big-big, fully compressed suspension" method to measure correct chain length. I must not have noticed it at first, but now when I'm in the two smallest cogs (11 & 13) there is a quite a bit of chain slack. It appears the RD has no more room to move back, if that makes sense. I don't have a pic at the moment, hopefully I've explained it well enough. LBS said to remove a link or two from the chain, but this won't give me the correct (or what I measured as correct) chain length. Thanks in advance!
    You could probably take some links out since its highly unlikely that you will be using all of your travel in the big/big configuration.

To the OP, I'm running 1X9 with a med cage with no problems.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Revmoto View Post
    I have searched but have found mixed answers. I am building a 2011 Santa Cruz Heckler and am having trouble finding out what size rear derailleur I need. I am going to be running a 1x10 32t chainring and 11-36 cassette. I am pretty sure I need a small cage but I read a discussion about that frame needing a longer cage for 150mm of travel.
    Normally, a short should be fine for 1x (it's often fine for 2x9 as well). The issue with that frame could be that there is a lot of chain growth as the suspension bottoms out. I would ask about it on the Santa Cruz board if you have not done so already, and when someone says a short worked OK with a 1x10 with a 11-36 cassette make sure they checked the chain length in the biggest cog at full suspension compression.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Santa Cruz Heckler rear derailleur help-p4pb7995978.jpg

1x10 32t chainring and 11-36 cassette. With a x.9 short cage, works great.

mtbr member
    id contact Santa Cruz. they might have a secret tip for you, sodaspeak
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

HAHA PWN
    Go with a short cage. Mr.Baker hit the nail on the head.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    Funny that. I've spent the night googling the exact same thing. Short zee, wide cassette on a 2010 heckler. If you slacken off the b screw moving the mech further back I can get tension but then the gap between the mech and first is bigger than the recommended 5/6mm? I also measured the chain with shock fully compressed. And to top it off I had a med xt clutch mech which as far as I noticed was fine?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Bike rides great with the short X0 derailleur. It is really snappy and instant which I like.