mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Santa Cruz Heckler D AM vs Giant Reign 2

I'm looking for my "first" FS bike and I was just wondering which bike is better between the Santa Cruz Heckler D AM and the Giant Reign 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Anyone?

addict

Heckler!!!!

Actually, this is a pretty subjective, open-ended question. But, FWIW, I love my Heckler.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've never heard of a Heckler D AM. I really like my Heckler too, it's a great bike in my opinion.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    D AM== Deore 'all mountain' build kit. Mix of Deore/SLX and XT stuff, Deore hubs w/ Mavic 321 rims... nothing blingy but all very functional stuff.

Looking at getting a heckler myself. I haven't seen a poor review by anyone. I don't know much about the giant.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

Special Lister
    I too looked at the Heckler, but went with a Yeti 575. After riding both I felt the 575 was a better bang for the buck. I did however get a great deal on the Yeti, but even when you look at each side by side the Yeti has better componets for the retail price. Both are said be a simular bike in their abilities (all mountain). However I do feel the Heckler may be the better choice for more AM/DH because it is burly. Having said that I have put my 575 through it's paces and it holds itself nicely. Both are good bikes i just liked the Yeti for what you get for the money.

mtbr member
    Nothing like a test ride to help make the decision. It would be an interesting comparison since the suspension designs are different.

bump and grind
    I had a heckler 4 (previous model) and really liked it. It does everything. Climbs, descends, drops, and jumps. It can be built light or heavy. Coil shock and 32stanchioned air fork and it is an xc bike. Give it a coil spring and a fat fork and it can bomb all sorts of stuff. SC lists the Heckler also as a dirt jumper!
    Drawbacks would be slight pedal feedback and not as super plush as some models on fast hits due to the SP, semi-active design. Overall, still an excellent all around full suspension bike.

The Reign, on the other hand, is a much better pedaller and climber. Giant nailed it with the Maestro suspension. Also a great all arounder, but it deserves a slightly heavier build. It wont really go xc. My only real gripe is that come maintenance time, you'll need to change out a lot of bearings, which have squeaked occasionally.

The heckler was also my first FS bike. Still miss it.

Dirt Rag Extraordinaire
    Santa Cruz Heckler vs Giant Reign... are you f&*king ferreal mate?!
    "You go up the hill, you go down the hill."

Members who have read this thread: 0