mtbr member

Santa Cruz Chameleon or Banshee Scirocco

I am looking to get a new hard tail (frame, will be building it up). I currently ride a Gary Fisher Marlin (got it free with AMEX rewards points). I have it narrowed down to the two listed. Any input between the two? I do mostly trail riding (70%) with some urban riding (30%).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Both great bikes. Don't think you could go wrong with either. Maybe throw a Transition Vagrant in the mix as well, really make it a shoot out!

mtbr member
    I would actually consider the Viento more of a comparison than the Scirocco. The Viento can handle a 6" fork and have the same head angle, but it will weigh much closer to the SC.

The Scirocco is more of a free ride hard tail, a little more compact in a given size, 180mm fork compatible, etc.

For me it would come down to geo and price, but I would go steel, like an On One 456/Summer season, or the new TransAm from Transition. Or the NS Society, etc.

good luck

mtbr member
    i don't know about the sirocco but i love the fact that my chameleon can convert to singlespeed. i do it every once in a while just to change things up. they are quite tough too. mine is the older style with removable derailler dropouts. i can't say what the new ones with the eccentric bb are like.

mtbr member
    How about the new Transition TransAM? I'm lusting after it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Unfortunately I haven't built up my Scirocco yet, and won't get to do that for about another month... That being said, on paper the Scirocco can't be beat for me, but that will obviously vary depending on what geo/sizing works for you. You should get a Scirocco, after all... it looks better! Everyone knows that is what matters most!

mtbr member
    I looked at all the bikes listed and went with a Chameleon because I wanted to be able to run it Single Speed, and I do 90% of the time. I have an older one with horizontal dropouts and removable dérailleur hanger. I've never been a fan of eccentric BBs so I'm not sure what decision I would have made had I been shopping for a hardtail now.

mtbr member
    I have a Chameleon and I am very happy with it, I use it mostly as my back up bike(for my buddies to ride) but I let a friend ride my Heckler last time we went out so I rode the Chameleon (for the next 5 rides in a row) and I had forgotten how much fun it is to ride that bike
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Is the scirocco really 550 for the whole bike? or just the frame?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The Scirrocco is 550 just for the frame.

I never know why folks don't always throw in the Sinister Ridge when they consider the Scirocco and Chameleon.. Guys, the Ridge, which is 750.00 for the frame is made by FTW himself-that's a boutique quality USA made frame for a price in the range of these other bikes.

Nothing wrong with the Chameleon or the Scirocco either, but I think anyone looking at Alu All-mountain hardtails always needs to take a good look at the Sinister!

Liam

mtbr member
    I'll say it again since you all seemed to miss it. Transition TransAM.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...nsAM&Submit=Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetta_mike
    I'll say it again since you all seemed to miss it. Transition TransAM.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/...nsAM&Submit=Go
    you must have missed it:

Santa Cruz Chameleon or Banshee Scirocco

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_

And everyone else missed it too.