Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    fried not baked
    Sep 2010

Santa cruz Bullit or Transition Blindside

Looking for a complete bike that can pretty much handle anything. Ive narrowed it down to these 2. I found a 2008 bullit on Pinkbike for 2000$ and was thinking about purchasing it. But i really do like the blindside. Someone please help me make up my mind.

Thanks

usually cranky
    if your gonna drop $2000 i think you could do better than a bullet of blindside for an all around bike. both of those are more fr that can wander over into am a bit. is that what you are looking for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you have your heart set on a bullit, my lbs has a new medium 08 bullit with a lyrik and a dhx 5.0, SRAM X9 and DT Swiss wheels for 2400 with full warranty. If youre in socal and interested, send me a pm and I'll tell you where the shop is.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Well, Having owned a few bullits(old and new) and have a few buddies with the Blindside. They are not even close as being the same style of bike.

Yes, both could be built up as a Heavy duty FR/Single crown but the bullit could be a AM weapon. It will pedal up a hill. There's no way you'll ever get the Blindside to be a "pedal-able"bike.

So if you what to define what you really want, that might sway your decision for either bike

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    First off thanks for the insight I appreciate the replys.

I like to hit whistler during season but im about a 1.5 hour drive from there so i try to ride local North shore mountains in vancouver. Im about 200lbs so i need something that can handle the weight. Also i want a bike that i wont die from pedaling uphill to get to the top. I dont plan on riding 2 hour uphills just enough uphill to get me to some decent runs. Im pretty new to the sport so im not super familiar with all the parts and what they do. I just like to bust up trails and like to hit the skills park to do some jumps. My current budget is 4000-5000$ Canadian tax included for a complete bike. So i guess i am looking for a FR/DH bike that can wander into AM, if this even exists. What should i get? Please help me build a beast

PS. I currently ride a hard tail cannondale and i feel like im going to die on it on the way down the mountain sometimes

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmeat
    First off thanks for the insight I appreciate the replys.

I like to hit whistler during season but im about a 1.5 hour drive from there so i try to ride local North shore mountains in vancouver. Im about 200lbs so i need something that can handle the weight. Also i want a bike that i wont die from pedaling uphill to get to the top. I dont plan on riding 2 hour uphills just enough uphill to get me to some decent runs. Im pretty new to the sport so im not super familiar with all the parts and what they do. I just like to bust up trails and like to hit the skills park to do some jumps. My current budget is 4000-5000$ Canadian tax included for a complete bike. So i guess i am looking for a FR/DH bike that can wander into AM, if this even exists. What should i get? Please help me build a beast

PS. I currently ride a hard tail cannondale and i feel like im going to die on it on the way down the mountain sometimes

Thanks guys!
    Knolly Delirium.

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Knolly Delirium.

Actually that bike was in my sights as well but I think its out of my budget?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Depends on your build. dropnzone.com has frames for 2650 (w/ Vivid). That leaves you 2400 for the rest of the build - i'd say it is easily doable...it is off-season, deals can be had. The Lyrik is a great fork, and you won't beat this price... That puts you right at $3k, which leaves a LOT of room for cockpit/wheels/drivetrain.

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    Depends on your build. dropnzone.com has frames for 2650 (w/ Vivid). That leaves you 2400 for the rest of the build - i'd say it is easily doable...it is off-season, deals can be had. The Lyrik is a great fork, and you won't beat this price... That puts you right at $3k, which leaves a LOT of room for cockpit/wheels/drivetrain.
    I would love to build my own bike but im basically a newbie with any parts and what they do . Even if i order all the parts i would need i would probably have left over nuts and bolts after trying to put the bike together I dont really have anyone who can help me, thats why im having to go to a local shop and make a complete bike purchase. I am having a shop email me different builds. Hopefully they can keep it under 5000$

usually cranky
    santa cruz nomad or intense uzzi (not sure it fits your price range though). transition blindside would work but dont expect to climb anything more than a small hill. trek scratch would also be another good option.

mtbr member
    There's a used Large '09 Delirium frame on Ebay Right now for less than $1250.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Large-Knoll...item2eb1644b36

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    take a serious look at banshee; either a rune (pedls great for a 6" frame but can take the dh abuse) or a scythe, definitely a bombproof freeride bike but still pedals "ok". both have slacker angles than the bullit (IMO bullit is kind of an outdated bike, and with your budget you should get something more advanced than a basic single pivot with no swing link). Both banshee frames w/shock are under $1800 US, that leaves you tons of $ for parts. Rune can take a 6" or 7" fork (I have a 7" on mine) and scythe can take 7" or 8" fork (but you should put a 7" fork like a totem on it if its for all-around riding). Between the 2 banshee bikes, If you're doing regular climbing I think you'd be happiest with a rune with a coil elka shock, and a rockshox coil totem fork or lyrik 170.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl11
    Well, Having owned a few bullits(old and new) and have a few buddies with the Blindside. They are not even close as being the same style of bike.

Yes, both could be built up as a Heavy duty FR/Single crown but the bullit could be a AM weapon. It will pedal up a hill. There's no way you'll ever get the Blindside to be a "pedal-able"bike.

So if you what to define what you really want, that might sway your decision for either bike

Guess you've never ridden one. My buddy pedals his BS up and down all day long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    TS, I never said you can't pedal the blindside but I would never classify it as a AM or a do it all bike. The blindside is a DH rig it was never meant to be anything different.

I can pedal my session 88 up and down the MTN and have done it but it's not my first choice(not even close to being fun.) if I know pedaling is part of the ride.

The OP asked for a bike that can handle everything. That's a wide statement and tried to get more info (which he did supply)

At the end of the day, they are all bikes with wheels, cranks and a chain. All of them can be pedaled.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

This guy is right,If your looking to go pedal freindly check out the bottle rocket over the blindside.With that said unless your going to go full bore freeride I would go with a enduro class bike....heres a few
    covert
    spec enduro
    cannodale rize/rz
    trek remedy

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I would love to build my own bike but im basically a newbie with any parts and what they do . Even if i order all the parts i would need i would probably have left over nuts and bolts after trying to put the bike together I dont really have anyone who can help me, thats why im having to go to a local shop and make a complete bike purchase. I am having a shop email me different builds. Hopefully they can keep it under 5000$
    What size do you ride ??? I'll have a large nomad,med bottle rocket hitting e bay over the weekend....
    check out my feedback screen name
    STARLIVING

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    TS, I never said you can't pedal the blindside but I would never classify it as a AM or a do it all bike. The blindside is a DH rig it was never meant to be anything different.

I can pedal my session 88 up and down the MTN and have done it but it's not my first choice(not even close to being fun.) if I know pedaling is part of the ride.

The OP asked for a bike that can handle everything. That's a wide statement and tried to get more info (which he did supply)

At the end of the day, they are all bikes with wheels, cranks and a chain. All of them can be pedaled.

Actually TBC classifies the BS as "Big All Mountain" and specifically states in these videos that the BS is not a dedicated DH bike (The TR450/250 are DH). Have a look for yourself.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/transit...view-2010.html

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    So after talking with my local shop they think the RUNE would be the best choice for my riding style. It can pedal all day yet wont get stopped by anything on the mountain trails, and i can still bring it to Whistler and bike parks and have fun. They classified the RUNE as the smallest "BIG BIKE", where as the BLINDSIDE was a "BIG BIKE".

I am a fairly new rider this year being my second season and the only thing im worried about is that will I out grow the RUNE? Maybe its too early to say exactly what style i will fall in love with. But right now I really need an AM/FR type of bike. Also what do you guys think of the SCYTHE? Is it like the blindside being a BIG BIKE? Hard to pedal?

Ill be building it with my local shop everything will be custom for me I got 5000$ i can spend on it so lets see what kind of bike i can get from that. Can u guys suggest any "Must Have's" on a custom ride like this so i dont miss out on anything? Ill be listing my spec choices as i go along.

Thanks again for the help,

DM
    Last edited by darkmeat; 11-18-2010 at 09:58 AM.

usually cranky
    So after talking with my local shop they think the RUNE would be the best choice for my riding style. It can pedal all day yet wont get stopped by anything on the mountain trails, and i can still bring it to Whistler and bike parks and have fun. They classified the RUNE as the smallest "BIG BIKE", where as the BLINDSIDE was a "BIG BIKE".

I am a fairly new rider this year being my second season and the only thing im worried about is that will I out grow the RUNE? Maybe its too early to say exactly what style i will fall in love with. But right now I really need an AM/FR type of bike. Also what do you guys think of the SCYTHE? Is it like the blindside being a BIG BIKE? Hard to pedal?

Ill be building it with my local shop everything will be custom for me I got 5000$ i can spend on it so lets see what kind of bike i can get from that. Can u guys suggest any "Must Have's" on a custom ride like this so i dont miss out on anything? Ill be listing my spec choices as i go along.

Thanks again for the help,

DM
    i dont think you will outgrow a rune, your lbs seems on the money. i go with a lyrik or 36, i dont think you need travel adjust and probably a single ring out front. a fairly substantial wheelset like en521's on hopes and pretty beefy tires (maybe two sets, dual ply for resort days and single for trail riding) and a coil over shock out back. the rest is personal prefrence.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    good choice with the rune. it is a strong bike with slack angles that can take almost anything you can throw at it (except full-on dh racing and really huge drops), but is still snappy and playful. i will say at first the suspension seems a tad firm (like when going slowly over a curb or something), but it was designed to be pushed hard and the suspension really opens up at speed. Very stable, and active under braking. climbs good, especially when sitting & spinning, but if you stand and pedal, make sure its in the middle ring (too much chain growth for stand-up granny pedaling) Here is my build:

shock: elka stage 5
    fork: rockshox domain 180 (but u should get a totem)
    wheels: hope pro II hubs, mavic 823 rims
    tires: varies, light tubeless 2.3"s for xc, 2.5" dh tires for shuttle days.
    brakes: avid elixir cr's
    stem: funn rippa 45 mm bars: answer protaper dh 1" rise, cut down to 29"
    seatpost: thomson saddle: koobi pr enduro (verry comfortable but a little wide)
    drivetrain: 22/32/ bashguard;
    pedals: dark cycles arachnids..

bushing system is easy and cheap to maintain too. hope this helps.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 11-18-2010 at 11:23 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    [QUOTE=darkmeat... the only thing im worried about is that will I out grow the RUNE?
    DM[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have been riding 7 years and the RUNE is one of two bikes that I would look to if I had to replace my bike today.

Your LBS is spot on, as are b-kul and dwyooaj...but I'd suggest running a 2x9 setup instead of a 1x9 (or suck it up and go 1x10). Elka/Lyrik/823 and you can have a very nice ride. Honestly, you are so early into your riding career that an extra couple hundred bucks to get some instruction/spend time at a resort would be an investment and not a depreciable asset (like the bike).

Post up pics when you get it done!

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    Yeah, I have been riding 7 years and the RUNE is one of two bikes that I would look to if I had to replace my bike today.

Your LBS is spot on, as are b-kul and dwyooaj...but I'd suggest running a 2x9 setup instead of a 1x9 (or suck it up and go 1x10). Elka/Lyrik/823 and you can have a very nice ride. Honestly, you are so early into your riding career that an extra couple hundred bucks to get some instruction/spend time at a resort would be an investment and not a depreciable asset (like the bike).

Post up pics when you get it done!
    Actually ive already taken a clinic at Endless Biking out here on the North Shore. They have many clinics but I enrolled in the 3 LEVEL progressions. They thought i should be in Level 2 but there wasnt enough riders late in season for the class so i opted to go down to Level 1. It was very basic but i learned very technical stuff and it was still fun. I plan to finish the 3 Level progression by summer time. Thanks for the help again.

DM

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    good choice with the rune. it is a strong bike with slack angles that can take almost anything you can throw at it (except full-on dh racing and really huge drops), but is still snappy and playful. i will say at first the suspension seems a tad firm (like when going slowly over a curb or something), but it was designed to be pushed hard and the suspension really opens up at speed. Very stable, and active under braking. climbs good, especially when sitting & spinning, but if you stand and pedal, make sure its in the middle ring (too much chain growth for stand-up granny pedaling) Here is my build:

shock: elka stage 5
    fork: rockshox domain 180 (but u should get a totem)
    wheels: hope pro II hubs, mavic 823 rims
    tires: varies, light tubeless 2.3"s for xc, 2.5" dh tires for shuttle days.
    brakes: avid elixir cr's
    stem: funn rippa 45 mm bars: answer protaper dh 1" rise, cut down to 29"
    seatpost: thomson saddle: koobi pr enduro (verry comfortable but a little wide)
    drivetrain: 22/32/ bashguard;
    pedals: dark cycles arachnids..

bushing system is easy and cheap to maintain too. hope this helps.
    Those dark cycle pedals look sick, i must have the anodized purple or blue looking ones. Im either going White with all purple anodized stuff as accent or blue anodized as accent colour. As far as the saddle goes im a pretty big guy so i would like a comfortable seat so wide is prolly better for me.

On a side note how do you guys find websites to look for this type of gear. ex. Dark cycles. everytime i google for something epic i get generic companies.

Also a must have coming from me for you guys if you have an IPOD or IPHONE.
    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/H0743ZM/A
    Sound quality is great for such a little thing and it beats earbuds. It can mount on your bars or your headtube. If you have more people that have these you can broadcast from one one main rider to everyone else so everyone hears the same tune playing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    please dont mount a speaker on your bike. Not everyone around, likes to hear music when they're out riding in the woods. If you must listen to music instead of nature, please use (one) earbud.

fried not baked
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    please dont mount a speaker on your bike. Not everyone around, likes to hear music when they're out riding in the woods. If you must listen to music instead of nature, please use earbuds.
    Its not that loud and its pointed directly at you and with no bass the sound does not travel at all. You can only hear it if you are 2-3ft away even at full blast. I like being able to hear things around me like "HAY LOOK OUT!" or "YO DUDE THERE's a BEAR over there!" or "Yo man wait up i bailed!" while listening to my favorite shredding track. I guess 1 earbud would be suffice but this mini speaker is great. Any type of wire connected to me while riding is a pain imo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast