mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Santa Cruz Bronson VS Transition Covert 27.5

Hey Guys,

Im on the hunt for a new trail/all-mountian stallion and I have been drawn towards either the Santa Cruz Bronson or the Transition Covert 27.5. I would likely be purchasing a complete bike on the lower end of the build options. There seems to be alot of hipe about the bronson but very little about the covert. Is it because transition is a smaller company and has a smaller PR budget or ??? (correct me if im wrong but the covert 27.5 did JUST come out).

Comparing the two it seems like the bronson is a step up on alot of the components but I am slightly drawn to the covert because of the Fox float X. The way I am looking at it is since I'm looking to buy in a lower component group; the main focus for me is on the frame (obviously) and suspension. The Other components will be upgraded as the break.

Is the Fox float X that big of a deal? Sure the shock itself does play a role in the suspension performance but is the linkage setup on the bronson superior to the covert making this not a big deal?

Lastly I am still open to other brands/models what are your guys opinions?

Thanks in Advance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Also Guys Im looking at the pictures on the Transition website and the covert doesnt appear to have mounting tabs for a water bottle cage. Can anyone confirm this or can I just not see them in the pictures?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Float X is a catch-up technology. It's not bad, but the Monarch RC3+ still has it beat. The RC3 is lighter, has a proven damper, is easier to service, and is more reliable. My Float X came with air in the damper right out of the box and leaks from the reservoir. I wouldn't make a frame choice based on this shock, unless it was regular CTD vs. Float X.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The other covert models don't have mounts for a cage so I doubt the 27.5 would either. You'll just have to zip tie a cage on. If you prioritize suspension then the covert is the better buy. They'll let you upgrade to a pike for +$350 on the base build which means you'll have a float x and pike for +$150 over the bronson build. However, the bronson appears to have better brakes, drive train and wheels.

Personally, I'd look at geometry and fit first. If both bikes happen to work for you then I'd look at the build layouts and pick what I felt was more important. Customer service and warranty would also play a part.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    not trying to sway you one way or the other but what other bikes have you ridden? you're talking about dropping a grip of cash on a new bike. might be worth a demo ride. the covert runs longer in the top tube and SC bikes run short in general. there is also a considerable difference in how vpp and single pivots ride. i have owned both and theres no way to tell someone which they'd like best, you just gotta see for yourself.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys! mnigro I understand what you are saying and I agree about test riding these bikes (and others). The problem is I am currently riding a gaint XTC29 hardtail, before this I rode BMX and I come from a motocross background as well, this being said I really don't have any experience with riding full suspension mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    MX, you may or may not develop a preference for a specific suspension design and actually "know" it. You'll probably just be in a position where you've identified the bike you like best because it rides XX way or does YY the best. Those traits may be up to suspension design, geometry, etc. But that's why a test ride is needed.

Coming from the MX & BMX background, you should definitely be able to pick a favorite from a few demo rides. In the grand scheme of things, there are so few crappy bikes out there that most people would be happy with any bike as long as geo fits their riding style and the bike fits them well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got a good friend who's ridden and raced both the Covert 26, Covert 29, and now a Bronson. He really likes the Bronson and says he can tell a difference in chunky stuff and square-edged hits. He prefers likes the shorter stay of the Covert 26, but does say the Bronson is more stable at speed. Feels the Bronson is a faster bike overall.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Personally, I'd look at geometry and fit first.
    + 1 on this along with mud clearance some 27.5 & 26 ers for that matter frames are lacking in this area.
    I prefer a smaller fit to the manufacturers recommended frame size, so always best to demo if you can. If not take all the relevant geo numbers that you prefer & pick from there.
    After having it for a year I just swapped out my large Knolly Chilcotin for an Yeti Sb 66c medium , I was right in the middle range for the large Chilli, but I just couldn't get it right. I don't mean it's a bad frame but it just felt too long, now I'm way happier on the Sb medium.

Fit is King.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Both Transition and SC are both great companies that make great bikes! I purchased a bronson recently and love it; but the covert (carbon 26" at the time) was on my short list for sure. Haven't ridden the 275 covert, except for a short parking-lot test of a proto. The guy who rode it that day was tearing it up, though -- burly and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    there is also a considerable difference in how vpp and single pivots ride. i have owned both and theres no way to tell someone which they'd like best, you just gotta see for yourself.
    ^^^^This is the best advice, though. VPP and transition's single-pivot are very different, and it ultimately comes down to rider preference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    Personally, I'd look at geometry and fit first.

+ 1 on this along with mud clearance some 27.5 & 26 ers for that matter frames are lacking in this area.
    I agree but this is such a hard thing to do for those people that have not either owned or ridden enough bikes to actually have a firm opinion on geomerty. How do you know what you're looking for if you don't know what you're looking for?

I have owned enough bikes, way more than I ever needed or should have owned, and this is the only way I know what I am looking for in my next frame. I will tell people that are looking at buying complete bikes to demo, demo, demo - much more so than I will tell people to do so when they are only looking for a frame. Make a mistake on a frame, you can probably live with it for a while and/or not lose your shirt when you sell it. Making a mistake when buying a complete bike is a much more costly situation. you lose % of the whole, not just the frame. My $0.02 anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Bmx to a 29er, huh.

Transition with float x and pike fork would be pretty sweet. The knolly warden is another option to look at.

I like bikes
    If you were drawn toward the transitions single-pivot but liked the fit of the shorter top tube of the Bronson you could go for the Heckler. For the money, you could do a sick spec on it. Just a thought.
    The older I get, the faster I was.....

mtbr member
    Bronson does NOT have a short top tube! Lots of assumptions going on here from those that apparently have never even seen a Bronson. SC bikes have run "short" in the past but not with the Bronson (very "true-to-size" compared with other brands).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Bronson does NOT have a short top tube! Lots of assumptions going on here from those that apparently have never even seen a Bronson. SC bikes have run "short" in the past but not with the Bronson (very "true-to-size" compared with other brands).

Have FUN!

G MAN
    I second this.. Compare all the geo numbers and the Bronson isn't so short in the top tube anymore..

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thmslilly View Post
    I second this.. Compare all the geo numbers and the Bronson isn't so short in the top tube anymore..
    True. My comment was about SC frames in general. Hence my use I that specific word. But the Bronson isn't overly long in the top tube either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Both bikes are great and you'd likely be happy with either. BUt if you're trying to decide between them, there's no way to know without riding them.

I bought a Transition Bandit 29 (2012) after riding the S.C. Tallboy LT. Before riding them i had assumed the VPP, being the more "advanced" suspension system would be far superior to the plain single-pivot Transition. After riding them, i actually prefer the way the suspension works on the Bandit. It's personal preference of course, and hard to describe, so you really have to try them.

Try to test ride or demo as many bikes as possible. If possible, try to do all the test rides on the same trails and over a short period of time so you can really make good comparisons.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm torn between the two for my next bike too. The Pike upgrade on the Covert put the leg up on the Covert for me.