mtbr member
    Jun 2007

New question here. Sanity check - Stumpy FSR Expert or Blur LT

Ok.. Looking for your thoughts... I'm going to be getting a new bike.. ridden trek y bikes in the past and liked them.. got tired of breaking them and took a few years off of riding.. rebuilt my bike with a hardtail frame and am now really getting into riding again and want a full suspension rig.. I've been looking around and have narrowed my choices to a couple bikes.. Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert and the Santa Cruz Blur LT..

I mostly ride the trails in and around Orange Conty, Ca.. Climbing efficiency is critical to me.. I need a bullet proof bike.. Despite my username, i am not so skinny but am a fairly proficient rider (Lots of MX experience). I like the fact that the stumpy has lifetime warrenty on the frame.. SC has 2 years and I hear that their cust serv. sucks.. I like the idea of the Brain Fade rear shock on the stumpy but dont have any experience with it.. I also like the Talas fork on the stumpy.. N E Ways, I'm leaning towards the stumpy.. Any thoughts before I drop 3G's?

TNC
    noMAD man
    I'm a pretty strong SC fan, but I gotta admit I really like that newer Stumpy. I hated those initial Brain style shocks, but it seems they have this one nailed. It acutally works like any other fully functional quality shock when you want it to or you can tweak it full XC mode. Also all the weaknesses that I thought were inherent in the older designed Stumpy FSR are gone. The BLT is a good bike, but I think I'd actually pick the Stumpy in this case. We sell both SC and Specialized at our shop, and I currently own both brands, so I don't think I have a particular bias.

Get Down Do you
    I don't normally disagree with TNC but this time .. Hmmm.
    As a person who previously owned 2 stumpy FSRs I would say that the LT is a better handling bike and a much better climber. Especially technical climbs. Descending the Stumpy is a good bike and actually steers very nicely in the turns.

My major issue with the stumpy was always that the bike has a tendency to squat on steep ups and the steeper the climb the more squat. The only way to counter this was to run a very stiff platform shock which in turned eliminated all small bump compliance. I also think the the stumpy is not very well designed around the 130mm fork I had nor the current stable of 140mm forks. The bike performs best on most XC trails with a 120 front IMO.

Again YMMV but as a recent convert from the FSR to SC I would say the LT outperforms the current FSR.
    Progression is fine just remember to respect your roots.

[SIZE="3"] Click to see my Orange Ano Blur LT[/SIZE]

TNC
    noMAD man
    Muggs, which model Stumpy's did you have? I didn't like the previous models either, for various reasons.

Too many Sedonuts...
    Either of those choices will be light years ahead of what you experienced on your old y-bike.
    When the world slips you a Jeffrey, stroke the furry wall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the input guys.. CattusJoe, I am begining to think the same thing.. at this point it is like splitting hairs.. I'm no pro but do enjoy a well built bike and both of these have me droolin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sold my BLT now riding a 07 Stumpy Pro!

gnuH
    Don't know about the SC, but the 2 things I didn't like about my 04 Stumpy was the squat when climbing, and pedal strike due to the low BB. Other than that (which I got used to) it was a great handling bike, reliable and extremely versatile. It went down hills like a bike with a lot more travel, and squat aside, climbed very well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Stumpalicious

I have a 2007 stumpy expert and i love it. Leaving out all the technical aspects and focusing on the ride it is a serious trail bike, it climbs really well and descends even better. The brain is easy to set up, i use a softer setting for more traction which works well for technical climbs, for long halls i set it more towards stiff. The talas has the travel adjuster which has three settings but i always leave at 140. All in all i love my bike the spec is great for the money my only changes have been the usual pedals, grips, tyres (not a fan of Spesh resolution). I Love santa cruz bikes too i would happily have one but i just decided that the stumpy was the one for me.

Yes thats right my bike has been known to live in the spare bedroom, you know how it is!!

P.s There is a review on the Stumpy pro this month in MBR it gets 10/10 expert is only one model back so cant be that bad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    Muggs, which model Stumpy's did you have? I didn't like the previous models either, for various reasons.

I had a 05 120 and an 06. The 05 had the septune rear which just made it horrendous because the platform in the septune was non existent and the stumpy is very reliant on the platform IMO. The 06 I got the frame for a great price and I had a pushed rp3 on it and it handle much better but I still was annoyed by some of the same issues. To be honest I have a gut feeling that the new Stumpy will be built like the current Enduro SL which after riding one of them I was impressed that all the problems I personally disliked about the current enduro and stumpy were resolved.

Don't get me wrong the stumpy is a very capable bike and I enjoyed the 2+ years I had them but I am personally a much better rider on the LT than I ever was on the stumpy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys..

Get Down Do you
    Quote Originally Posted by SKINNY_
    Thanks for the comments guys..

Just remember whichever one you choose ... we want to see pictures!

And ride the &%$# out of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Either would be great as people have said. The Stumpy FSR does squat a bit while climbing but the suspension does its job very well otherwise.

If you get a chance, check out a Giant Reign also. Similar suspension to the Blur LT, has a lifetime warranty, and priced in the same range as the Stumpy. They have a nice spec for the money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    too late to check out the giant... hehhe.. I just got back from my first ride on the NEW humpstumper!!! I may never really know how the others ride but at this point I dont care anymore...LOL.. I cant believe I was riding that roached out hardtail for so long..

I had a grin on my face the entire ride.. Lemme get some pics and I'll post some first ride comments in a new thread..

thanks for everyones input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    special-ed stumphumper!!! thats cool man it feels really good to make the right decision which it sounds like you did